Need to modify my faceplates/bezels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to modify my faceplates/bezels

on my external drives and I was wondering if anyone had links to a site that sells pre done ones. I am going to go ahead and order the Atech Midtower case, Model AFT6330 Alumnium 330W:

but all my drives are all off white, so I was thinking if I could either paint them myself (I'm a graphics artist) or purchase plates that are premade (saves on the priming and sealing time, not really wanting to do all that).

If I have to do it myself then I was thinking, maybe to make it not quite so boring, maybe, painting the faceplates a metalic blue or something like that, but I'm not sure about how to do it properly. Where do I buy such a kit for doing this sort of thing??

Any help appreciated. I know I ran into a site in my travels that sold pre-done plates but I can't for the life of me remember the name!!

PS: Keep in mind I'm a USA boy, so if a link to pre-made plates is provided, I would prefer to order from here in the states!!

PS: I'm very much a newbie at all this stuff so I may have some terms mixed up or wrong. :)

Thanks much

Richard :flames:

Here ya go, http://www.casejunkiez.com/articles/...ve_paint.shtml ;)

Comment

yes sir, if you want the satisfaction of a job well done, you should do it yourself.

Have fun RAMWolff, and post a pic when your done.
      I'm interested to see what custom-modded bezels look like on a graphic artists rig:thumb:
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Paint will eventually chip or flake off...alot of modders use vinyl dye as it will be absorbed into the pores of the plastic. It also dries extremely fast. You really can't mess-up when using vinyl dye as runs will diasappear with in a few minutes. In comes in many colors and there are a bunch of "how to guides out there".
        Good luck!:cheers:

Comment

Perfect solution, thanks much!! :bounce2:

Comment

I hadn't heard of the dye before now?
            So does this mean we will see the results soon RAMWolff?

LOL
            I ran across ArborBarber in a chat online, he was clearly dedicated to helping others, so I gave him a personal invite to check out this forum. I just knew he'd do well in this community!
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Heh, your gonna hate this but my Cosmotology teacher (one of them) was called Mr. C. He was very good at what he did and he taught me allot. It was really weird seeing that name again. :D

Thanks very much for inviting ArborBarber over, that was the best news I've heard, but now I gotta find out where they sell that sort of thing. I might be a hairdresser by trade but I have NO CLUE as to where to buy vinyl dye!! :confused: Just hair dye! :D

It may take a little while, I got my pots on boil in my little world. I am currently in a snit with my old computer. I need to get it fixed and I can't figure out what the hell happened to the guts from the time I transfered the them from one case to another. I bought a new hard drive and a new battery for the motherboard and even broke down and got a new keyboard and mouse so I would have older stuff to 'play' with when I needed them. I even put in my really expensive kingwin power supply that I just bought and no go STILL!! It boots up, recognizes the RAM and the drives and then sits there and then the mouse and keyboard stop responding, so I don't know and I've asked around and now I am to the conclusion that the only thing left is a the motherboard, though I can't imagine what the heck happened to it, I was grounded and was careful during the transferance process. It worked just fine before. So I'm in the market to get a new motherboard that will suit a Pentium III and I need one with onboard sound and an AGP slot for the video card. Any clues?? Cheap?? Reliable??

So then I have to build the web site and once I get the damned compuer fixed then I have to set it up for the salon. So you can imagine that the 'mod' will have to wait a little longer. Bummer but first things first!! :)

Comment

best bets would be automotive shops and perhaps auto body shops, upholstery places might be a source also, and of course - online.

The motherboard was my first thought as to that PC, but of course it is only proper to check all components and not jump to conclusions. Sounds like you've been narrowing things down by the numbers.

I'm running a Tyan Trinity 400 (of course that depends on the speed of your PIII) they made an OEM model with onboard sound. Not expensive at all, but reliable as can be.
                Not saying that you should run out and get 1, but you might add it to your list of possibilities.

Glad I could bring back happy memories for you:D

Comment

Believe me I'm there!! :thumb:

Soyo SY-TISU Intel i815EP B-step Chipset ATX Motherboard is another one, $15.00 dollars cheaper but I'm not so sure about the Soyo brand name, I already had one bad experience this week with one of their products. Newegg.com carries both models but I would love some feedback on the Soyo board.

I too kinda thought it was the MB myself. So I snagged the processor off of the MB and wrapped it up in some of that anti static wrap and the 3 sticks of RAM and the new fan I had just installed onto the processor.

What started out as an easy thing has turned out expensive and quite the lesson and now I know how quickly something can go south in the world of computers!! :(

Comment

Wait till ya've done a couple of hundred and then see what ya think. ;)
                    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Comment

RamWolff...sorry to hear of your puter problems...but here's a thought, if your going to be replacing components you might want to do the mod(vinyl dye) at the same time as you'll have the puter a part anyways...just a thought. SEM also offers a product, Color Coat, it's what they call a elastomeric coating..? I've never used the product before, but I will be messing around with it today so I'll let you know how it works out. You might want to invest in a POST card as this will help you diagnose your problem.

This site offers a POST card for $50 bucks(they also offer a pci card for $65 bucks)...Yeah, I know it's $50/$65 bucks...but even if you have to replace your mobo you'll at least know WHY? But what if it isn't your mobo and it turns out to be a PSU problem? Maybe a RAM issue? Sometimes it's cheaper to figure out exactly what's wrong with the puter then throwing darts at it in the dark...You might also want to try and do a boot strap install...remove everything from the mobo that isn't necessary and try booting it...if it boots, add each component one at a time until you find the offending component. Use a GROUND STRAP! It isn't so important that you are grounded, but rather you and the puter are at the same electrical potential. You can buy them for like $5 bucks, it's better to spend $5's then cause an ESD and end up spending $100's or more replacing fried components...:thumb:

Comment

Hey Mr. C... Thanks for the nice compliment...We all know what it's like when dealing with things we're not to up on...I look at it this way, what goes around comes around. I have had other people help me before, so it's only right to try and help others out, if I can...much like you! You know the old saying....two heads are better than one! Thanks again for the nice compliment!
                          :cheers:

Comment

THANKS ArborBarber for the link. Hmmmm, I read through the product list and I don't see any mention of a list of codes included. So then it's a matter of finding out what codes mean what!! Also, if you have one of those cards can you answer me this: If I have the card in is the LCD display right side up so I can read it easily?? or is it in the same direction as the pins so I will have to read it upside down??

Have a great day!!

Comment

RamWolff...you'll have to place the card in the top pci slot(I'm assuming you have a newer mobo) so you can view the codes. If you look at that sites home page you'll find the error codes for the different BIOS manufactures. There are other POST card manufactures out there, but some can get pretty expensive...
                              You might want to try the boot strap install first...see if the puter boots with just the basics installed. You can also try to count the beeps generated by the systems own POST and look up those codes at the home page of the site I gave you. You can also try that sites link page...
                              :cheers:

Comment

Working...
                              X