Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Re: Homeade Refrigerated Computer

I like the idea of refrigerating the water tank in a water cooled system. Couldn't there be a problem with the temperature differential as the coolant heated up but before the refrigerator turned on? I suppose a freezer would help this situation, or simply set the refrigerator on really high. When seriously overclocking a computer, besides the CPU and the bridge, memory, and GPU, what other components should I worry about? I'm considering a fan-less system, got a real dust problem and no AC?

Comment

i had a similar idea, but i come about it with a different approach. it started when i saw videos of PC's submerged in mineral oil. i liked the idea, did some research and found that mineral oil is often used as a dielectric thermal transfer fluid in high voltage transformers. now there are specifically designed dielectric(non-conductive) fluids, that are being used in military computers and even super-computers. Mineral oil is less preferable to these fluids because they have integrated anti-microbial agents and the viscosity, freeze T.,boil T. and flash T. are intentional. However, these products (exxon and 3m for ex.) generelly go for about 250-500$/Lt.
        My conclusion is that mineral oil (with a little tweaking) could be the Budget Solution. I'll spare you the boring details, if you want a computer case that's not HUGE(lots of oil to absorb heat) you would have to have an active cooling system(liquid HE, freon HE, or maybe even Ln2!) because with a high-end PC like the one I'm about to build(phenom 2 x4 3.2, 8gb ddr3 1600, 2x4790 1gb, 1000wPSU) the oil will absorb the heat well enough, but after multiple hour of full load the oil would get too hot. after a bit of thought, I came to the same idea that you had, to gut a 79$ mini-freezer. submerse the cold side in the oil above the MOBO near the CPU and GPU. you also need a good amount of fans inside to circulate the oil. i see a lot of potential for extreme overclocking, especially if I can create a robust heat exchange system that can use freon full-time and ln2 for fun, and total Silence.

This would also deal with your condensation problem because the oil will insulate the exchanger from the moisture in the air.
        these videos are dumb, but they cover some important points
        <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xToqhruoqqQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xToqhruoqqQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fJdUhtD1zns&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fJdUhtD1zns&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
        you could avoid all those problems with proper design
        tell me what you think
        adam
        Last edited by synergysymphony; 07-21-2009, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Dead nuts simple/cheap way to get refrigerated computer.

Buy a leftover used refrigerator, full size, from the want ads for $50-100

Buy a plastic Rubbermaid tub/box from Wongmart/Shams club and put all your computer inside.

Draw a circle the size of a dryer hose on the outside of the freezer. Cut a 1" hole, and hacksaw lines to the outer circle, making "teeth" that you can bend up. HOse clamp the dryer hose to the vent. cut a hole and shove the hose into the box. make little X shaped holes for all your cables to go in, and duct tape it up. Hooray. Now it will be fugly but COOOLLD and you can use the whole fridge and freezer.

Comment

re: bionic do all computer/toilet.

The Japanese have it patented in 200 countries, they are waiting for the right time to unleash it.

Originally posted by Cloud Strife View Post
            I can just see it now... A universal, versatile house-hold appliance, you can keep your drinks in it, you can cook your food in it, it will hold your "waste", it can hold the beverage that you're drinking, you can attach a nozzle to it to make it act as a hoover, ohh... And is also a computer :D

I reckon someone could convert one of those big racing arcade machines into something like that, something I wouldn't mind trying to do if I had the equipment. ;)

Comment

There are 12v frigerators made for Diesel Truck sleeprs, for $40-250. They only run off 11.5-14v DC. You will need a big ass power supply.

Comment

I think you should go for it! You can simplify the setup by fab'ing a square plate with your on/off switches, audio jacks, and USB ports etc, as well as video hookups and ethernet jacks. I'd make it out of a piece of 2x4, or hard, quality plywood (think leftover furniture parts) first, and coat it with something by hand with a brush like wood oil, furniture polish, etc. You drill holes for extension cables (mind the ends m/f, type) , and fill the holes with wood putty to lock them in place into the plate. Then cut an undersized hole in the side of the fridge, and mount the plate to the fridge, probably to the inside, if you have dremels and stuff. You can probably seal it to the fridge side with auto gasket sealer or silicone glue ($2.50 a tube). Use sheet metal hex head screws.

This way you can hook your monitor and acc. up just like a standard case.

Comment

Working...
                X