Two motherboards in one case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Two motherboards in one case?

How about those hard sided travel electronics cases? Some may be very expensive, but they would have LOTS of room inside.

Someone built a computer in a large coleman cooler case with wheels. It only had one system in it, but it was awesome and featured a retractable cable.

Originally posted by trickyt View Post
    What you are looking for is two PCs running simultaneously with only one mouse, one screen and one keyboard. However you need two motherboards, two hard drives. (I assume each motherboard has its own graphics and network controllers). You may be able to get away with just one power supply if you can find one with the right connectors.

I am also looking for a dual PC option, (not dual boot). I have not found a manufactured problem yet, but I found my own simple solution, which was mentioned earlier in this forum.

I have two PCs held together by a strap. They are connected via a Linksys switch to a single wireless keyboard, a wireless mouse and a single monitor, To flip from one PC to the other I just hit the scroll-lock key twice in rapid succession. Two PCs have the advantage that when one is shutting down, re-booting, crashing, or just plain over-loaded (downloading pod-casts for example), you can use the other one.

Going one step further I can imagine that it would be possible to squeeze all the PC components into just one box. Motherboards are getting smaller, and I can imagine that two power supplies could fit in the box, along with the Linksys switch. For a very simple solution you could remove everything in your box and replace the contents with two laptops (with their chargers), plugged into a multi-plug, and add an external (external to the laptop, internal to the box), hard drive to increase capacity. This would have the advantage that each "PC" would have its own uninterruptable power supply, i.e. its own battery. All laptops allow the use of external monitors, mouse and keyboard, so wiring it up to the PC slots should be easy. The slghtly complicated thing is to figure out how to turn on the lap tops individually or how to keep them running when the lid is closed. Any ideas?

Coming back to my two PCs strapped together, I actually have two PCs, but each of them has several hard drives with various operating systems, such as DOS, Windows 98, XP in French and XP in English (You can have XP twice on the same drive). (But remember that 98 can not see a drive formatted for XP). This gives me maximum flexibility to work with different operating systems, or to work with XP twice on two different PCs. If need be the PC's can see each other's drives, by using networking: (It is not advisable to open up a whole drive as shared (security risk). Much better to just make certain specific folders as shared.

For example, one of the PCs is "Dual Boot" - using two hard drives. Both drives contain Windows XP in English (different serial numbers). One of the drives is the one I work on and is set up with "Do not share files with other users", whilst the other carries a second version of XP. By default the PC will boot into the first drive (the one I never use), unless I manually intervene at boot time to instruct it to boot from the other disk. This has the main advantage that if the kids or wife decide to boot both my PCs and to look around, by default the drive used for booting will not be the one that I normally use. They will not be using the same XP as me, nor even the same drive.

They will see themselves on the C:// drive, apparently with access to my user name and my documents, but nothing much of a personal nature. (Because in practice I don't use that drive). True they could browse to the D:// drive and look for the "My Documents" files there, but my user name on that drive has been set to "private". (Right click the folder, properties, sharing, make this folder private"). This means that my files on that drive are inaccessible unless the user has booted into the right PC (i.e Disk 2), AND has the correct user password. Both are unlikely.

It's not completely uncrackable, but it's certainly more difficult if the "hacker" does not know that (1) there are actually two PCs running, (2) how to switch to the correct PC, (3) That when on the correct PC it has booted by default into Windows on disk one which I never use, and (4) If the hacker finally re-boots to disk two, then he must still guess, crack or remove, my password from my user account. All of these steps are relatively difficult for a novice to get through.

Comment

Running into the same question, I found this:
      Thermaltake Mozart TX
      http://www.tt-germany.com/product_overview.aspx?PARENT_CID=C_00000054

You can build in one miniITX-Mainboard and one ATX- or BTX-Mainboard, completely independent of each other.

Comment

You do realize that the original post was from 2002? "Gary" (the original poster) may have built the Frankenstein system, used it for 4 years, stored it for 2 more years and taken it out and used it for target practice this year. If he is still trying to figure out how to build it then he is probably also looking for a new job.
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

You do realize that this thread was refreshed? I admit that this is also some time ago but the reason I posted it after all was, that I ran into the same issue yesterday, checked google and found this thread. I assume that there are more people like me out there who check google, find the same problem addressed in a board like this, read it, leave it and find the answer somewhere else... or even not.

Most people register to ask their question. Most people never register here only to post an answer to an issue. I did. If this is helpful to anybody... so what? If it is not it won't do any harm to hang on to this stuff.

Jsu my 2 cents...

Comment

Does anyone know of a case that'll accept two ATX motherboards?
            No and how about 1 motherboard in 2 cases? Anyone?
            http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
            http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
            Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
            Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
            Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
            4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
            (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
            (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
            (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
            Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
            Mid size ATX case with show through panel
            2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
            Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
            Logitech G500 USB mouse
            Monitor: CMV937A
            7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
            Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

I have the Tt MozartTX VE1000SWA, it holds a standard ATX board on the left and a miniITX on the right. You can add a 3x 5.5 to 4x 3.5 drive cage and use that for your secondary drives. I have also mounted a secondary miniITX PSU in that case before, didn't work perfectly but it's not impossible. I know it's pricey, but you can never outgrow that case.

Comment

Mountain Mod Duality. Here is my setup:
                Clinic Duality Server OutoftheBoxMods Blog
                www.outoftheboxmods.com

Comment

Very nice man, how much was that case?

Comment

My Version: MountainMods.com-Computer Cases-U2-UFO Duality
                    Larger Version: MountainMods.com-Computer Cases-Ascension Duality
                    www.outoftheboxmods.com

Comment

Damn man that's pricey. I thought mine was expensive at $250, at least you'll never outgrow it.

Comment

Originally posted by ReelFiles View Post
                        at least you'll never outgrow it.
                        Go check my blog. Look at Daywalker. I do agree the cases are expensive though. My custom cube (Nvidia SLI rig of the month APril 2007 - built in phase change unit) probably cost about 2000k including fabrication and paint.

Daywalker OutoftheBoxMods Blog

www.outoftheboxmods.com

Comment

Dude, you are INSANE! That's just crazy man, must have a lot of spare time and money on your hands.

Comment

Dude, you are INSANE! That's just crazy man, must have a lot of spare time and money on your hands.
                            I have a lot of sponsors and pretty much just do builds for them (Intel, Nvidia, Crucial, AMD/ATI, etc). I also work as staff at events for Nvidia (such as PAX - did go with them to QuakeCon and did bring a build for the booth but did not have to work shifts that event). CES I was with the Crucial folks for the event with another build. I am a stay-at-home Dad (although back in graduate school now) so free time has not been a large issue.

As for money, all that hardware you see including case and paint was sponsored. For this build I kept three of the 280s and sent three back to Palit. Nvidia does take good care of my hardware wise (several 295s here, still have 9800 GX2s coming out my ears as well as the 280s).

The economy is much tighter so I am picking my projects more carefully now.
                            Last edited by DarthBeavis; 11-08-2009, 06:48 PM.
                            www.outoftheboxmods.com

Comment

That's cool man. I used to be a lot more into modding back when I was a moderator over at DFI-Street, but after that ended I really haven't had a chance to do much. I am also a stay at home dad now, since I got laid off from my construction job. I fix PCs on the side, but it's not really lucrative at this time. When my business does eventually take off I definitely want to get back into modding.

Comment

That's cool man. I used to be a lot more into modding back when I was a moderator over at DFI-Street, but after that ended I really haven't had a chance to do much. I am also a stay at home dad now, since I got laid off from my construction job. I fix PCs on the side, but it's not really lucrative at this time. When my business does eventually take off I definitely want to get back into modding.
                                I used to post there years and years ago. This economy is a pain. Our sales (we own a vet clinic) are WAY down. We have had to lay off folks and really watch our budget. The only really big discretionary expenditure I will not stop is my personal trainer but then that reduces eventual health costs.

Less gut = better heart (compare to the above pic)
                                www.outoftheboxmods.com

Comment

Working...
                                X