What You Should Know About HDMI Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What You Should Know About HDMI Cables

To help you learn what to purchase and why, let us briefly discuss HDTV resolutions and their meanings.
    HDTV Resolutions:
    - 480i (480 interlaced lines of resolution) Also known as what you've watched on normal TV for years
    - 480p (480 Progressive lines of resolution) Known as SDTV, progressively scanning images from a DVD player creates a nicer, smoother image on your SDTV/HDTV
    - 720p (720 Progressive lines of Resolution) this is your initial step into HDTV. Allowing for 720 lines of resolution, nearly twice that of 480p, provides a much smoother image on a High Definition TV
    - 1080i (1080 interlaced lines of Resolution) currently the greatest resolution provided by Satellite and Cable operators, offering exceptional quality picture on a television capable of displaying 1080i
    - 1080p (1080 Progressive lines of Resolution) Also known as Full HD, 1080p is currently "IT" in the market place in terms of best quality picture.
    Now that you understand the progression of HDTV Resolutions, let's figure out what all those numbers really mean on that new HDTV you've just purchased.
    When you are selecting the cables to connect your HDMI equipped devices, these are some elements to keep in mind.
    As you will be spending a superior bit on the cable, make sure you get one which is future proofed - even though your TV programs aren't broadcast in 1080p, the latest DVD and game consoles are, so get a cable that is 1080p certified. To make sure that it transmits video on top of lossless audio, make sure the cable is HDMI 1.3. Many cables longer than 10 feet begin to lose quality, so make sure that the cable is certified for 1080p. Lastly, pay attention to how strained the cable is, because most versions don't have any sort of locking device, and it can wiggle loose.
    <o:p> </o:p>

Re: What You Should Know About HDMI Cables

Content left as courtesy to readers, but link to this user's business removed.

Michael1 - While we always enjoy useful or helpful information, we tend to frown on those who use our boards for advertising without owner consent. Thanks. -Darth-
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Also worth noting that 720p is superior to 1080i. Most people aren't aware of that.
      Sandy Bridge Pentium G840
      Asus socket 1155
      Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR31866
      PNY geforce 9600gt PCI-E 512Mb
      HP w1907 widescreen LCD
      Creative sound blaster X-Fi Titanium
      Corsair Performance Pro 256GB SSD
      1TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD

Comment

Originally posted by Arjun View Post
        Also worth noting that 720p is superior to 1080i. Most people aren't aware of that.

why is that?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jmadiaga View Post
          why is that?

thanks
          Well 1080i means 1080 lines of interlaced pixels. Which means 540 lines of pixels at any given time.

Whereas 720p means 720p progressive lines of pixels. i.e. 720 actual lines of pixels on the screen at any given time.
          Sandy Bridge Pentium G840
          Asus socket 1155
          Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR31866
          PNY geforce 9600gt PCI-E 512Mb
          HP w1907 widescreen LCD
          Creative sound blaster X-Fi Titanium
          Corsair Performance Pro 256GB SSD
          1TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD

Comment

Whats weird is watching someone on HDTV and seeing thier pimples and stuff in movies that you never saw anything like that last time you watched. lol.

We saw a show the other day and there were little red dots on everything that seemed to have been recorded on bright sunny days. I guess the programming wasn't up to the capability of the TV bc. it went away on the next show.

Comment

Working...
            X