Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some advice on installing front fan on old Antec case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice on installing front fan on old Antec case?

Hi everyone. I just built a new rig for myself and I'm giving my old one to my mom. Here are the specs of my old PC: Antec SLK2600AMB Mid-Tower case, ASUS P4P800 MB, Intel P4 2.GHz CPU w/HT, Ultra X-Connect 500W PSU, Radeon 7000 PCI 64MB graphics card, and 2048MB of PC3200 Kingston Value RAM.

What I want to do is install some new 80mm fans, and for this I've chosen two MASSCOOL 2700rpm fans here. The are only two 80mm fans in the case - one in the front and one in back. These fans are seven years old so I think it's time to upgrade.

Because my folks have no AC in their house and it will get pretty warm there during the summer I would also like to install a larger 120mm fan in the front of the case in the empty drive bay slots, which you can see here:

Here are a couple shots of the front panel:

I would like to know how I could install such a fan? Any advice, tips and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Need some advice on installing front fan on old Antec case?

Swiss-cheese the plastic drive blanking panels, put a foam dust filter behind it, and then, a big ass 120mm blue-led fan in that bad boy!

alternatively you can buy single bay, horizontal mounting fan inductors. i think Coolermaster did one at one point. not the prettiest thing, but it gets the job done.

Alternatively, 120mm hole the side of the case and a chromed up grill!
    -AJ
    Andrew "Eightball103" Jones

Comment

eightball, thanks for your reply. Could you be a little more specific? I'm sure a lot of the people here understand that terminology, but I'm a n00b in this area. Also, perhaps some links to the components and materials you're describing.

I like your idea for the side panel. Of course that would require some drilling, which I have no experience with (at least not on a computer case).
      Last edited by desktop; 02-25-2008, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Scythe Kama Bay cooler for the drive bays, it takes three bays though, what's the purple thing at the bottom of your empty bays??

I made a filter for mine with insect screen mesh folded to the square of the front with tabs/wings?? that fold down the side, this is held in place by suction and the front panel

You'll have to be careful that you don't poke in too much more air than you're exhausting or you'll end up with "stagnated air flow" which will in fact cause higher temps.

Edit: Perhaps you could squeeze up you pci cards and mount an additional 80mm fan at the rear (even if it is outside the case) to give you another exhaust fan.

Oh, and tidy up the cable clutter, it has to be reducing airflow in it's current state.
        Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 02-25-2008, 09:02 PM.
        E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Another option but a bit pricey...
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

Great advice, thanks fellas! Bay coolers may be the easiest option and a HD bay with one big fan may work, providing it fits in this old case. The purple thing in the front of the case at the bottom is a bracket which houses a 80mm fan. It snaps into the front of the case.

I thought I could just mod a large 120mm Scythe into the opening in front, but then I'm new to all this modding business.

Comment

Working...
            X