Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAve a question

I just modded a cd rom drive,

I took all the cd rom stuff out of the case, and then i mounted 4 holes and mounted the hard drive in it and then i made 2 air flow hoes with medium fans, and well its all complete, but heres the question, is it ok to have your hard drive running upside down ???? i hope it will be ok, i mean i saw a hard drive mounted upside down once, so im just hoping tyhis is safe....

Cheers

Heritik

Re: HAve a question

Yep that's ok as you'll even find some mounted on their sides.

Comment

Yep thats ok, its not like your information is just going to dumb out the bottom lol. But ya make sure you have the mounting screws properly alligned and also make sure that there is no potential of something falling on the chipset side of the hardrive, as that could result in some damage.

Comment

However, there have been problems with drives that were used in one orientation for a long time, then reoriented (on their side) and then started having problems. It was determined that the bearings, no matter how good they are, wear in a pattern. When you change the orientation, gravity does its thing and causes the bearing to wear in a different pattern causing "sloppiness" in the mechanics. It was worse in the bigger capacity drives because the more data was jambed in smaller spaces, so even a small shift in the read/write heads alignment started causing read/write errors.

So, if you mount it upside down, keep it upside down forever.

BillB

Comment

thanx guys for the answers

Cheers

Heritik

Comment

Working...
          X