The B00Mbox, my watercooled cube project, Warning! Lots of p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My pump, relay kit and waterblocks just came in! :D
    I'm glad I waited on some things as it looks like the pump is gonna be a tighter fit than I anticipated.

Comment

Here is the opposite side where I plan to fit the pump. For now it has the stock Intel HS/F. The waterblock is much lower in profile:

Comment

looking very nice, well done :thumb:

Comment

Ahh, I see what you mean about the GPU block.
          Looks good soo far.
          Cant wait to see more! :thumb:

Comment

Well, it might be a bit til you see some pics of the watercooling system....they shipped my pump with 1/2" fittings, rather than the 3/8" fittings listed on the site...:mad:
            It really doesn't matter though, as I can already tell that I'll need a 90 degree fitting on both the inlet and outlet to get this sucker in there....I can get the right fittings and fix both problems at once, plus replace barbs with quick-connects, which allow the tubing to start bending closer to the base of the fitting. Guess I'll work on the front bezel in the meantime. :thumb:

Comment

What is your design for the front bezel? and will it have a Fan for the pump or something?

<center>*lacks ANY knowledge*
              :drool: </center>

Comment

Well, without having much done to show, it fits in with the quasi-neo-military theme I'm going with, as it is a LAN computer. I am still waiting on a few necessary tools to get more of it done.
                I didn't really get into why I'm building it before. I'm helping organize and run LAN gaming parties for our local teens, including my own son. I wanted to do something creative and striking to help promote more teens participating, as well as giving them an idea of what kind of fun things can be done with a computer. Here is a rough idea of what the front of the case will look like:

Comment

The concept is to make the front of the case look like a pair of binoculars. I had to come up with something as the fans just wouldn't fit inside the case unless I used relatively weak 15mm thick units. This goes with the grenade in green UV plastic on the pump side outlined in EL wire, and an animated explosion of electroluminescent wire using an EL chaser for a lettered BOOM! graphic. The front of the case will have a sub-bezel with the previous binoculars graphic laminated over it with digital lettering cutouts to indicate different functions, such as HD activity, pump power, etc. backed up by LED lights and electroluminescent panels. Over this goes a clear protective bezel. As cool as those clear 3" ID lexan tubes look with the fans in them, I plan to vinyl dye them black. The LEDs on the fan will still illuminate the inside of the tube. The binoculars will also feature a fake hinge section to complete the look, and an "adjustment dial" that will actually work to adjust the front fan speeds. In the center of the hinge will be a button to remotely open the DVD drive. The inside of the binoculars will be filled with the domed fan grills shown earlier as lenses, trapped in place by two thin rings of lexan tube, the outer one removable for cleaning. The top and sides of the case will be covered with green acrylic mirror...at least the parts that aren't UV plastic. I am also working on lighting the stock acrylic handle from the inside with green LEDs.
                  Now all that remains is to do the work and collect the few minor parts I'm still missing. A bit of luck and it will all come together as planned. :cheers:

Comment

ETA till you finish?

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonLee
                      ETA till you finish?
                      Well, I suppose that depends on how some of the things that are experimental to me go. My best guess: A couple months. Once the tubing elbows that I need come in that I plan to order today, I'll test the watercooling system, so that should happen within the week. This is nothing I want to be slapping together. Initially, I wanted to have the patterned pieces I need cut with a laser. I decided to cut them myself with a scrollsaw which will take a bit more hand sanding and polishing to finish them off, but the money spent will give me a tool for future projects along the same lines. I have quite a few labor saving powertools to use, so it won't all be tedious hand labor. The honest answer is....as long as it takes. I should have more to show you by the end of today. :cheers:

Comment

That's a nice Design of the Bezel. What tools are you using to make this 3rd world wonder? Also, what's your Budget and how much have you used so far?

Comment

Well, got my drillpress set up, the shop cleaned, bought a scrollsaw and played with it some. Still not much to show, but I'm headed back out there again. I just ordered what I hope to be the last of the fittings for the watercooling system, so tests will be in a few days.
                          Hmmmm...other tools I've used are: Tablesaw, chopsaw, grinder, nibbler, shears, rotary tool with cutoff, grinding and buffing wheels, files, sanding blocks, drill, various hand tools and some patience.
                          I have about $600 into the hardware, $200 in watercooling equipment, $100 in plastic although I ordered way more than I'll need, another $100 or so in lights, wiring supplies and paints, and maybe $70 more in bits and supplies.
                          :cheers:

Comment

biker: It's great to see so much initiative work!

Comment

Agreed. Btw, how much do you think you'll spend? and how long are you gonna pull out those Binoculars?

Comment

As far as spending, I think I'm about done. Much much later I may try to upgrade to a flexATX motherboard that supports an 800MHz FSB or better, and I actually planned for it. The first iteration of the radiator had it below the HD...a position that would have interfered with other mobos that have the DIMM slots closer to the front bezel. By raising it up, I eliminated that problem as well as gained better cooling for the HD itself. There may also be other snags that may require a few extra bucks...I had one last night. :cry: I was working on gluing some LEDs to the underside of the handle. Apparently the acrylic glue eats right through the silver vinyl dye the underside is finished with. That will take some sanding and silver vinyl dye or paint to make it look right again. :shrug:
                                The binocs are coming out pretty cool, though I'm still on the fan portion. The hinge section should be easy to cut out, but incorporating the fan adjustment dial and remote DVD button will take a bit of fiddling. I'm still waiting on the adjustable circle cutter to size them to the front bezel. You can see the basic plan in the following pic, though it doesn't show the stealth that will be done to the DVD drive door. I will only cut the slot large enough for the door itself, as the entire front bezel will come off with screws for removing/replacing the drive, and the open button and LED will be moved elsewhere. Does anyone EVER use the headphone jack or volume knob on the front of an optical drive?

Comment

Working...
                                X