perfect case design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• perfect case design?

Very cool idea, reminds of the the same airflow that Mac got when it released the iMac's. Heat rises, so by using convection airflow you're goign with nature. I'd look into putting the intake in the bottom by your video card, or you might overheat that puppy with no direct airflow on it.

Cant wait to see the finished product. Good job :)

Comment

MDF is a very good material to work with because it's so hard.

That's why I and most others build speakers/basses outta MDF.

Comment

the case cooling fan is right under the gfx card, than puppy's never had it so good.

I was juggling with which fan to duct to the cpu but decided the gfx needs the case fan intake more than the HD so the front fan will be ducted and the back one hits the gfx.

I would like the convenience of using mdf, you're right, it's hard, so good the cut accurately and very sturdy. I still think real hardwood would look amazing with a little polish, and the softer the material, the better the sound and vibration damping effects...

I may look into the price of real wood vineer so i can have the looks of wood and the build convenience of mdf. Could end up looking tacky though. Vineer is easy to apply but tough to apply really well. Don't want it looking like teenage boys' bedroom furniture from the eighties!

Comment

Don't forget to make sure everything is grounded !
          SPAM Special Ops

Comment

good point about the grounding, any more details?

will everything need extra connects to the PSU or anything?

is anything grounded through the mobo already?

Comment

Ya just need to connect an earth wire to all metal parts and this can be done with just one continuous wire that'll earth back to the PSU case.

Comment

does that include components which are already powered.

ie are all the power cables and mobo connects earthed?

Comment

Just things like mobo standoffs, rom drives, hard drives, floppy drives and anything else that is powered and/or constructed from metal. Remember that a metal case is its natural own ground but timber doesn't afford that convenience.

Comment

Originally posted by defunct
                    I would like the convenience of using mdf, you're right, it's hard, so good the cut accurately and very sturdy. I still think real hardwood would look amazing with a little polish, and the softer the material, the better the sound and vibration damping effects...

I may look into the price of real wood vineer so i can have the looks of wood and the build convenience of mdf. Could end up looking tacky though. Vineer is easy to apply but tough to apply really well. Don't want it looking like teenage boys' bedroom furniture from the eighties!
                    Check out your better lumber suppliers. There is a product called MDF core sheet. It already has a veneer applied, typically in birch, oak, ash, cherry, alder, etc. and has a Medium Density Fiberboard core, which is very dimensionally stable, mills better than veneer-core products, and is cheaper than a similar sized sheet of plain veneer. I'm surprised that more speaker box builders don't use it. You will have to come up with a design that accomodates covering the exposed MDF edges if you plan to stain and finish it, or an iron-on veneer tape works well.
                    : peace2:

Comment

Working...
                    X