No announcement yet.

stealth drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hell, I didnt know they made Latex spray paint. But its latex, so its crap. It belongs on drywall, not in any good case.
    If youre going to go through the trouble of getting it colormatched and everything, get the enamel paint.
    :2cents:

Comment

Car paint comes in two kinds. Enamel and base/clear. I have used both, and they are the same price plus the can of clear. The base won't work without the clear. On a guitar I painted, I went with the base/clear (1999 volvo saphron colour) on top of 12 coats of high solid primer sanded with 320 and 600 between coats. Then to cure it I hung it in my van on a 35c day, That was 3 years ago and it still looks good.
      athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
      tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
      asus a7n8xe-dlx
      thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
      bfg 6800gt
      seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
      samsung dvdrw
      2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
      logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
      2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
      creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
      mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
      DFI infinity nf4 ultra
      thermaltake tsunami dream -black
      seagate sataII 500gb
      evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
      samsung sata dvd-rw
      2x1024 ocz black
      logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
      ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Originally posted by maximus7001
        [B]On a guitar I painted, I went with the base/clear (1999 volvo saphron colour) on top of 12 coats of high solid primer sanded with 320 and 600 between coats. Then to cure it I hung it in my van on a 35c day, That was 3 years ago and it still looks good.
        Off topic but, got a pic ?
        SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Oh, can you paint the front plastic / drives and the rest of the case (painted steel) with the same paint ? ie: will it look the same or a bit different ? (shiny vs. matte)
          SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Beige Drives Rule.

What you gain in color matching you loose in lack of 'DVD' or 'CD-RW' decals.

And if you're worried about asthetics, imagine having the door open all the time, exposing the drive rail finger areas, and simply having the uglyness of the door, now thats an eyesore!

Comment

I'll try to get a dig pic and post it.
              athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
              tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
              asus a7n8xe-dlx
              thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
              bfg 6800gt
              seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
              samsung dvdrw
              2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
              logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
              2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
              creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
              mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
              DFI infinity nf4 ultra
              thermaltake tsunami dream -black
              seagate sataII 500gb
              evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
              samsung sata dvd-rw
              2x1024 ocz black
              logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
              ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

the 2 stage method base/clearcoat is what is used on a lot of cars. So im not suprised that it last well. Thats what I do too. But I got access to real paint guns, so the process is a lot easier for me. Plus I have plenty of paint to mess with, so most of it is free.

Comment

well some good ideas, latex is a nono, the finish will never look, good(past expirement with a old retarded buddy), but i like the idea of canned matched paint, but in my area all i have is pep boys, kergan, auto-zone, etc, they also have BONDO (junk is u sk me) and i asked them aboit ur matched paint in a can, they said they herd of it but havent seen it. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Comment

God damn man do ya live in some isolated backwater outa the back of beyond there? :?:

Comment

Originally posted by ZEROKOOL
                      hey all, was looking for a bit of moding help, i wanted to make ym drives "stealth", cuz well i dont wana paint them, i doubt i could colormatch it right, (unless anyone knows what color matches "sky-blue" cheaftech case), ok anyway, on my drive rails i used the farthest back nothch and the drive is barly flush, i want to mod the beazel and have it fit flush over the front of the drive, i seen it done before, any help would be nice :thumb: thanx!:thumb:
                      Seems to me you already have a bezel painted to match, and the post was about saving you from painting the drive itself....I don't blame you. I stealthed my drives, as they are the exposed type with no door to cover them, and aluminum faced. No paint will match brushed aluminum. With an exacto knife, I shaved most of the plastic extrusion off the backside and then sanded it til it was flat. Then the easy part....doublestick tape on the drive door, a self-stick cabinet door bumper aligned with the button and voila'! I like it as you just push on the drive door to open it. The doublestick foam mounting tape (May take 2 layers) acts as a hinge.
                      As far as the drive rails go....do you really need all the screws to line up? With a dremel you could possibly lengthen the slot, but I can't tell as you provided no pics that show the interior. With a lot more work, it's possible to remove the CD tray door itself, as well as the bezel from the CD drive, but then you'll have to cut the holes for the button, the volume dial and headphone jack, and cut a drive door out of the same piece of plastic....VERY tough to get all that to line up and mount securely, and the button(s) and volume dial will still be beige. Yet another thing to consider if you go with paint....paint has thickness, and can make the buttons sticky, and painting the volume wheel all the way around is gonna be tough, not that most folks EVER turn it.
                      I'd try the stealth with the bezel that matches first. If it doesn't work out, you're no worse off. If you paint the drive itself, you could lose the function of the drive....just my :2cents:

Comment

Working...
                      X