powder coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powder coating

i was wondering if anyone does or knows of anyone that does powder coating? this is a process used mainly on vehicles but, i was thinking it's a way to get a case colored the way you want.

i've seen some great looking painball guns done. i know there are do it your self kits. the only drawback is you need an electric oven to use them.

for those of you who do not know what powder coating is here is a brief description:

The special gun is attached to an air compressor, and a power unit. The air blows the powder from the gun, and the power unit gives the powder a positive charge. At the same time, the power unit is connected to the piece being coated, and so it has a negative charge. As the positive paint particles fly through the air, they are attracted to the part and lay in an even layer over the entire area of the part. (This works a little like dust on a TV screen.)

The part is then placed in an dedicated electric oven, and baked for a while. This cures the coating to a tough chemical resistant finish

there are different types of systems but, they all have these basic steps.

check with local automotive repair shops....they should know of places near you... :devil:

Comment

i just paid 20 dollars to get my case painted neon green with metallic chips at a car automotive center, and it has that good gloss finish like cars so you can wax it and take it to your lan events and show off your muscle computer heh :D

Comment

power coating is waaaaay better than any paint job, especially with deep colors like red, it really stands out!
        I love powercoating, but lately seems that aniodizing is the "cool" thing to do. too bad it doesnt look as good:2cents:

Comment

ditto on the automotive paint shop. you might even look in the phone book as i have found 16 shops that do it and 1 only spent about 2 minutes looking.

Comment

check the yellow pages... auto paint shops wont have it, its a completely different setup.. Anodizing shops useally powder coat...

cheers:cheers:
            Charlie

Comment

Yes auto paint shops do. you just need to find a custom shop that can paint frames and such. your usual maaco, peach, or earl schibe wont do it though.

Comment

If you were really gung-ho about doing it... it can be done in your garage with an electric oven. Don't use your mom or wifes, you don't want to use it for cooking anymore. I'll see if I can find the link, but do a search on the net for powder coating at home....

Comment

It's really not alot to do it yourself, plus you could make money doing it for other people.:cheers:

Comment

Here it is... they have home powdercoating kits.

Here is the direct link to their powder coating supplies.

Comment

Working...
                    X