Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shuttle corp, xpc tools and my personal endless battle

Hi all again,
    I am back today with a new whole story :)
    As many have surelly understood I am a not so happy customer of such a company and I am doing all possible to discourage people buying such bulls**t products.
    Many people like me, have tried to tune/overclock their systems but with no luck...my rig, the sk22g2 v2, seems to be a cheap barebone (they called it so due to the fact it was priced about 250 euros at launch) ...ehi Tom! Have you got 250 bucks in your pants? I would like to take a coffee!
    The point is that as I have stated before the bios code is useless to overclock, no ht multiplier, no voltage regulation, no specific options to adjust to.
    I recently tried to find a piece of software able to overclock my cpu only a bit more and so my eyes focused the fabulous xpc tools.
    At version 1.7.x it came out that the overclock section of such a fancy tool is it possible to take the same actions just like in the bios: to play only with fsb value...nice shot!
    Oh...I forgot to tell you that such tool is awesome for all those people who are interested in playing/mastering with the bilt in fan.
    I will NEVER put my eyes on such crappy hardware...hope you people will think one more time before giving your money to such criminals.
    Bye all.

Re: shuttle corp, xpc tools and my personal endless battle

Anyone who buys one of these setups to o/c needs mental help as those little cases just can't provide suffient airflow just for starters.

Comment

Well, to tell you te truth I need to undervolt my cpu by 0,025 volts, btw the fact is that such system is, as I have told before, no more than rubbish.
      Other than, there are many reviews about different models where an overclock is possible and reaches good results.
      Airflow is not a point of matter...you can simply toggle off the cover...the point is that you simply get acceptable hardware with mere support in bios.
      For 250 euros people can take a very good system.

Comment

Obviously you don't realize the dynamics of proper airflow & I wish you well on how many systems you try to cook or just look like **** with the cover off.

If you want to o/c then buy a proper system case with plenty of airflow plus a proper o/c mainboard as Shuttle just doesn't cater for your breed.

A quick review o/c doesn't compare to a 24/7 job.

Comment

It's obvious we are of different religion here.
          I am overclocking since I was 16 and time has passed...
          I repeat I opened such thread with the aim to demonstrate that my system like many others are poorely manufactered, their pcb design flaws in addressing adeguate power wattage from a standby sessions and/or from a cool boot whether certain graphics adapters are used...there are different posts where I remembered the unglourious 440lx motherboards (history teaches)
          Leaving apart cooling ventilation rules, when someone is going to buy a shuttle system is then going to expect from it reasonable bios adjustment settings...we are not talking about mini-itx via epia here!
          Due to the fact shuttle corp made a 2nd version of the sk22g2 barebone it probably give some idea why such system is SO CRAPPY and why it still DO NOT allow not only voltage regulation but it has a BUGGY hypertransport managment which is impossible to adjust according to values smaller than 5 (default).
          Now, if you are unable to take in consideration some honest critics to such a products (it does not matter which are your reasons, probably you have some kind of secret business with the great shuttle company) then please do not say to other people what they do not know or what they could expect from.
          At last, today for 35/40 bucks you can buy a good motherboard which can offer a lot bios adjustments more and probably not offering pcb design flaws.

Comment

I've been overclocking since the 386 days so I'll stick with what I've already said.

Comment

Originally posted by mikmak View Post
              ...the sk22g2 barebone
              Hi mikmak.

The Shuttle SK22G2 is an excellent piece of hardware considering it is fairly inexpensive.

If you want to overclock with the SK22, it is do-able.

The most important thing you need is called "Central Brain Identifier" it can be downloaded from here:

Showshock Softnology Website

Central Brain Identifier (CBID) is a powerful tool for Windows OS. It allows control of almost everything AMD allows control of, in the processor.

With CBID, you can control Vcore, multiplier, ratios, almost all RAM parameters, on and on.

Be careful with CBID, anything that can change this many paramenters can allow you to crash your system, you may corrupt your OS. Note: do not try to change CAS from Windows, it will crash every time.

Another tool that helps is a Windows-based PLL control. I used ClockGen by the CPU-Z developer. It is not currently available from here: CPUID

Perhaps something like SetFSB would work, although I have not tried that with AMD systems. These guys say it will work.

SetFSB 2.0 - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Wih CBID and a PLL controller you are almost set.

The main thing lacking is a Vdimm control for RAM, but alas, no luck there. However very good RAM can clock to 490 MHz at 5-5-5-15 on this system with the default Vdimm of 1.85-1.95 Volts (measured).

Here is a screenshot showing the CBID controller menu:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CBID-Controller.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	749455

Several other menus show including: CPU core volt select, clock ratio select, dividers etc.

It may be best to start out with approximately stock (default) values in the BIOS, then carefully find some limits, one step at a time.

A special note here:

I used these rigs for Folding@home, they were very economical, energy efficient, reliable, and fast folders. My team is called The Longevity Meme (TLM). The ImmInstitute and TLM offers prize money to the Top Twelve folders on the team. Come on over and join us, help to advance medical research and see how your rig Folds!

Comment

Many thanks!
                I will try cbid...hope it should help.
                Bye.

Comment

Working...
                X