SD36G5M No Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD36G5M No Post

So I have had this unit for 2.5 years with very little problems running the following components.

Pentium D 940
    2 x 1 GB OCZ Gold PC2-6400 @ 666Mhz 4-4-4-12
    Asus 7600GT Video
    Various DVD burners from LG and Lite-On (kept getting bad ones >.<)
    Nvidia DualTV Tuner (Awesome Card! too expensive though)
    320 GB 7200.10 then upgraded to 500 GB 7200.11 a few months ago.
    MCE 2005

Loved this rig it was awesome. However I was having problems with powersurges even though I had a good APC powerbar hooked up and decided to get a APC 1100VA UPS for my media center. Worked great through most of the power surges but there were a couple that still casued the unit to hang or restart.

Now last night the unit stopped posting. I tried all the hard ware in my main rig (Asus Maximus Formula) and everything posts fine and boots vista. I put a PSU tester on the shuttle psu and it tests ok with voltages of 12.3, 3.1 and 5.0. Closer inspection of the mobo shows one bulging cap near the vreg area next to the chokes. I then opened up the PSU and found no bad caps in there.

So I am thinking this mobo needs to be replaced. I have tried clearing cmos with teh button and I left the battery out over night. still nothing. The blue power light on the front turns on but the VFD does not and I get nothing. No dispaly, no HD activity. Nothing.
    Last edited by Bun-Bun; 07-06-2008, 03:18 PM.

Re: SD36G5M No Post

So I got an idea...

Can I buy the mobo for the SG33G5M and put it in my SD36G5M chassis? Can I also buy a bigger shuttle PSU that would fit in my SD36G5M chassis? I currently have the 250w.

Comment

I would think as long as the board would fit (Better measure or at least check) then you would be fine, you may want a larger PSU though

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        I would think as long as the board would fit (Better measure or at least check) then you would be fine, you may want a larger PSU though
        Where would I find such dimensions?

The SG33G5M looks almost identicle to my SD33G5M. The regular Sg33G5M comes with a 250watt PSU and the Deluxe comes with a 300watt... so my 250watt shoudl be fine but given the restarts this machine had during power surges I am not sure I trust this PSU anymore... thought it doesnt look to have any bad caps in it.

If I can't replace this board cheap enough I may just go to a sugo SG01-F chassis and get a Asus P5E mATX board...

Comment

Well the ATX standard is what I meant you should check. I know nothing about Shuttle, that is why my answer was so "General"

If the site does not mention board sizes you are looking at these on then you may have to call shuttle company and ask or Guesstimate and hope it is right

As for PSU, yeah that does not sound like much of a difference. But if you do not trust it, then get a new 250W one

Comment

Well shuttle want's $150 for the mobo plus $40 shipping and then customs on top of that...

I love my shuttle but I think it's time it goes. I will be ordering a sugo SG01-F case with a ST50EF-Plus SC psu and the Asus P5E-VM HDMI in two weeks.

Will be sad to see the shuttle go but I will have fun with the sugo... lots more room =D

Comment

Can't you RMA the other board to them and get a free replacement at least?

Comment

nope they only have 1 year warranty. It is 2.5 years old now.

Comment

Ahh that sucks. Sorry for your board!

There is places that can replace bad caps, and a few that show you how to do it, but you are better off with a new setup anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                    Ahh that sucks. Sorry for your board!

There is places that can replace bad caps, and a few that show you how to do it, but you are better off with a new setup anyway
                    One bad cap shouldn't cause the board to not boot... could easily cause instability which I have had a few random BSOD's in teh past 6 months. However the dmg is already done. So new setup here I come.

Thankifully I had a nother system to test my components and the rest of the parts work fine.

Comment

It could, depending on what it goes to, ya never know. Plus one bad cap could also mean something else is broken/fried that you cannot see is harmed

Glad to see everything else was ok, Good luck with your new build

Comment

Working...
                      X