SG33G5 ICE fan question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SG33G5 ICE fan question

I wonder what the CFM airflow and the DBA noise ratings are for the SG33G5 ICE fan? I consider replacing it with a more powerful version and would like to compare.

Re: SG33G5 ICE fan question

unfortunately we can't give out the specs, but our systems are tested to be under 32db
    hope that gives you an idea.

Comment

Hmm...are you sure, that fan howls like a storm when set to full, sounds louder than 32dB to me even though I'm not an expert.

Comment

its usually tested on a light loading, and when the fans are spinning at arouynd 1500RPM
        its under 32db.

Comment

I'm glad this thread is going! I've just this moment set up my SG33G5 and I thought it sounded very loud, from what I've read of all the marketing and so on, I thought it would be as quiet as my Dell at work! But this ICE fan thats taking away the CPU heat is noisy!!! Went into the bios, and checked, it was on Auto, set it to Low, and it got louder!!! DOH! put it to untral low, and it went back to its old level before I played with it. The CPU is only running at 25c, so its doing its job, but is there anyway of dropping the fan speed even more? or is this as quiet as its going to get? (as my lounge now sounds like I have an xbox 360 in it!!!)

Comment

So its still loud while you have the fan speed set on ultra low?
            You might want to check your ICE fan's surface with the CPU,
            so remove the ICE fan, clean the thermal paste off the fan and CPU
            and reapply, see if that will do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by SHUTTLE - Eric **** View Post
              So its still loud while you have the fan speed set on ultra low?
              You might want to check your ICE fan's surface with the CPU,
              so remove the ICE fan, clean the thermal paste off the fan and CPU
              and reapply, see if that will do the trick.
              yep, still loud when on ultra low.. not sure if its just I had too high expectations of it, will have to get a mate around and see if they think its loud!

Sorry to sound silly, but what will that actually do? its just a metal heat sink plate thats sat on top of the CPU, with some "pipes" going up to the Fan that blows out the back of the unit. Its the fan thats making the noise with the number of REV's its doing... even in Ultra low mode. On fast its like an XBOX 360 with a disc in it! LOL

Changing the Thermal paste on said plate will make it quiter? Like I said, sorry if thats a silly question but can't see how that will make a diff.

Comment

The fan is louder then in other shuttle PCs. In another forum someone replaced it with the Arctic Cooler 9 PWM version and the noise went down.

Anyone have experience replacing this fan with a more quieter one?

Comment

It will get quite loud when you run your system under full load, but other than that it shouldn't be loud at all. If it is loud under no load, then either you didnt sit your ICE 2 fan over your CPU properly or your fan might be faulty and you will need that replaced.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The ICE is sitting fine and the core temps according to my monitoring software indicates 29/31 celcius idling. I do have case fans from Coolermaster and Zalman and they are quiet compared to this one.

In any occasion I have ordered the Scythe Kama PWM 92mm Cooling Fan to place inside the ICE shroud. I'll see if that does the trick, together with some Acousti anti vibrating material to go between fan and casing.

Comment

Working...
                    X