X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SK22 weird shutdown problem

Im finally back in the office, I have managed to confirm that
    the problem can be fixed with a BIOS update, we just need to
    get our hands on one of those faulty CPUs.

Comment

Hi Eric,

Many thanks for checking, I guess now it's a case of waiting patiently for the BIOS update! We've had a few more develop the same fault (now 11 out of 90), and I'd guess that there is a fair chance others stand a good chance of failing.(We we're close to RMAing the troublesome PC's!)

Many thanks again for all your help,

Dave.

Comment

Hey guys, just talked to the BIOS dude,
        are you guys still using the rev N BIOS?
        Can you update it to the latest T BIOS and let me know if your still experiencing the same problem, as we've tested here, its all fine.

Comment

Hi Eric,
          As is normal for our organisation we try to flash all the PC's to the same BIOS level(latest is SK22S20T.BIN, I believe), using the recommended settings for awdflash, and using an external USB floppy drive to apply the Floppy drive based update. I Believe that the N version is what they shipped with.
          I will check some of the mounting stack of Blowers this afternoon and post my results.
          We have some SK22's that have not had any trouble, and others that Blow on a daily basis. common to all of them, is that when they do eventually work they work ok, until they either overheat or are switched off.
          Bye for now,
          Dave.

Comment

Hi Eric,

We have tried the Revision T bios on our faulty units and have experienced the same problems with them.

The Revision N was a definite improvement over the original Rev K (or earlier), and hence the reason we chose to stay with it. We have also tried every revision since then with no success.

Keeping my fingers crossed for an update solution!

Antwist.

Comment

According to our BIOS team, i think rev Q actually addressed the AMD CPU problem.
              If updating the BIOS doesn't solve the problem, then it could be a very faulty CPU.
              Unless we can reprecate the same problems here, otherwise it will be difficult to provide
              a solution to fix your problems.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                It's a shame your not closer to the UK Eric- we've got several Sk22's here that will show the fault almost on demand. What I can do is swap the CPU from one that seems more reliable, to one that is not, and see if it behaves any differently. I will also double check the BIOS versions, and if the faulty one works long enough(and is a more recent T bios), revert it back to the N bios and test again.
                I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
                Regards,
                Dave.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                  Here goes:-

I've taken the CPU from a working SK22(originally NOT flashed at all)
                  sk22 Details are:-
                  system id:SK22G20-L3TH00-21
                  S/N:SK22G200R0716F00615

Motherboard:
                  D33032 S5088, FX22 V1.3 (other QA sticker says Lot B03/001)- note: no red OK stamp in the QA box!

CPU details are:-
                  AD03800IAA5CZ
                  CCB6F 0719TPMW
                  1697225G70160

and placed the CPU in the "Faulty" SK22 (motherboard details exactly the same)

The faulty SK22 did it's usual,
                  Switched on, Orange HD led on first, then Blue power led (both on), and fan Blowing FULL. No Bios Screen- no video/totally blank.

The faulty sk22 details are:-
                  system id:SK22G20-L3TH00-21
                  S/N:SK22G200R0716F00315

The CPU that was taken out(of the original Faulty Sk22) has these details:-

AD03800IAA5CZ
                  CCB6F 0719TPMW
                  1697225G70165 (looks like they may be from the same batch)
                  and works fine in the previously good SK22!

After a letting the PC blow, several minutes, leaving it off a similar time, I was lucky enough to switch on and it worked, long enough for me to flash it back to it's original N, Bios revision(from T), rebooted, loaded Fail Safe Bios defaults, rebooted OK.
                  Switch off/on Now it's blowing as usual (Grrrr!).

Anyone any idea's what try next?

Dave.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Further update. I've swapped motherboards between a faulty SK22g2 and a working SK22g2, and the fault moved with the motherboard. These 2 systems are now both at revision N (as they shipped).
                    My concern is if there is a physical/components fault, then we've got a lot of "failures"!

Regards,

Dave.

Comment

Hey Dave, can you try the latest revision T BIOS see if you still have the same problem.

Comment

Hi Eric,
                        It's doesn't seem to matter which bios N or T we use, the faulty one had been N originally, was Flashed to T because that was the latest available. It developed a fault (the aforementioned "blower" problem), I then tried reflashing it to N-still same problem. I've now (see previous posts), tried swapping motherboards round and the fault moves with the motherboard.
                        Q. what sort of fault would cause this behaviour?

When it blows, it's as if it's overheated(no signs of overheating that I can find though!) and blows to drop temperatures, if it's left several minutes and power is removed from the PC, then something resets/discharges etc, so that when the PC is switched on it works!

Thats all from me tonight Eric,

Regards,

Dave.

Comment

Hi,
                          I've done some more comprehensive Testing of the SK22's(says V1.3 on Mobo)
                          Hardware details when tested:-
                          1) AMD Athlon X2 processor AD03800IAA5CZ<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
                          2) 1 x 1G <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Kingston</st1:place></st1:City> KVR667D2N5/1G<o:p></o:p>
                          3) <st1:Street><st1:address>Sata Hard Drive</st1:address></st1:Street> 80G Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (ST380815AS,firmware 3.AAD)<o:p></o:p>
                          Symptoms:<o:p></o:p>
                          Switch PC on, and depending on previous history of fault there are 3 scenarios,
                          1)
                          Press and hold Power Button, blue light will come on --- still no start up,
                          At this stage no front panel button as any effect whatsoever, only recourse is to pull the mains power plug from the SK22.
                          2)<st1:City><st1:place>Orange</st1:place></st1:City> and Blue light on fan blowing at Maximum --- no start up screen.
                          At this stage no front panel button as any effect whatsoever, only recourse is to pull the mains power plug from the SK22.
                          3)The orange and blue light both come on, the orange light turns off, the PC will then boot as normal and continue working for many hours.
                          After powering down, the PC can start up in any of the above 3 methods.
                          The factors that seem to effect which start up mode is initiated are:-
                          <o:p></o:p>The length of time the PC is left Blowing (in 2 above).
                          <o:p></o:p>The length of time the PC is left unpowered (mains disconnected), after the blowing stage.
                          Possibly temperature, but this I have not tried to measure or control in any way!

Hope this helps Eric!

Comment

we will need to have the machine sent back here as we're unable to replicate the scenario you mentioned. So how many machines out of the lot have this problem with the latest BIOS release?
                            please let me know.

Comment

Hi Eric,

I've been in conversation with one of the technical guys at the company we bought the SK22's through, and I've arranged to RMA one of the units to them for further testing, it's due to go out today so I'd assume they can perform some testing of the unit this week, I'll let you know what they find.
                              They also mentioned the Q version of the BIOS may fix the problem, but I'm not sure what they are basing that supposition on (I can't find any mention of a BIOS fix related to the AMD CPU errata on the Shuttle site).
                              I'll post more information as I receive it,
                              Thanks again,

Dave.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X