HOWTO: Updating to Firmware 2030 on a Mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOWTO: Updating to Firmware 2030 on a Mac

This took me quite a while to figure out, so I thought I'd post the instructions here. I have a MacBook Air rev B - these instructions may or may not work for you. I used an external usb cdrom, since the macbook air doesn't have a cd drive built in.

0. Read the P/N and Model number off the back and front of your SSD respectively.
    1. Grab the newest firmware (2030) from runcore's site: Firmware Update Guide -RunCore SSD,PATA SSD,SATA SSD,PCIE SSD,ZIF SSD
    2. Determine which firmware upgrade tool you need. It's numbered by the four numbers after the first 2 in your drive's PN. My drive's PN was 13032800, so I used the flash tool S0328.exe. See the included pdf in the firmware download.
    3. Grab the bootable iso image from MyDigitalDiscount's site:

Un-archive this, and inside is another rar archive - CD BOOT. Un archive this as well.
    4. Install mkisofs for osx - or use a linux box. I used the fink project to instak mkisofs. Do not use hdiutil built into osx - it doesn't create the kind of bootable image we want.
    5. Copy the proper firmware update tool (mine was S0328.exe) to the CD_BOOT folder. Note - use the tool from the firmware you downloaded from RunCore's site. *Not* the firmware from the MAC_Update folder!
    6. in a terminal, cd into your CD_BOOT directory, and run:

mkisofs -o ../bootdisk.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table .

This will make a bootable freedos iso image in the directory above the CD_BOOT directory.

7. Burn bootdisk.iso to a cd - you can use OSX's built in tools (hint: right click on the image)

8. Hold down the 'C' key when booting your mac - you'll boot into freedos. Follow the instructions. I got a warning message to reboot, but made it into dos. Run the firmware upgrade tool. It takes a good 5 minutes to find your ssd drive, so be patient.

Hope this helps somebody.

-Brett

Re: HOWTO: Updating to Firmware 2030 on a Mac

I've tried this now a couple times, and every time that I do it when I enter 'y' to the "Do you want to find target drives?" question it always says, "Not found any drive. Press any key!"

Any idea why this happens?

Comment

Hi,

Can your mac see the drive under OSX? Otherwise I'm guessing you didn't pick the correct firmware update file for your SSD. Read the PDF that comes with the firmware carefully to choose the correct firmware updater.

Comment

Yup, OSX sees Runcore 128G-C SSD running firmware 1819. I was trying to update to the 1916 update. The drive is a RCP-IV-Z1828-C, the product number is 14092800 so I used the IE2808.exe updater.

Comment

The links on Runcore's site don't seem to work on download the firmware. Does anyone have the 2030 firmware or a link to where I can download?

Comment

Working...
          X