Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WARNING: Do not upgrade firmware directly from 1571 to 1916 for Runcore Pro IV SSD !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WARNING: Do not upgrade firmware directly from 1571 to 1916 for Runcore Pro IV SSD !!

Ok, I learnt this the hard way. After following the firmware upgrade instructions posted on Support | RunCore and running the firmware upgrade procedure successfully off a MS-DOS boot USB on my Samsung D die Flash#8 64GB SSD, I was shocked to encounter the following BIOS message when restarting the drive.
    DRIVE0 HARD DISK LOCKED
    ENTER PASSWORD [ ]
    No password I tried would unlock the drive. Several e-mail exchanges with Runcore's China support later, and to cut a long story short, I was informed that I should have updated from 1571 to 1819, and then from 1819 to 1916. Don't ask me how I should have known that or where I can even download the 1819 firmware ugprade files?!

I'm currently in the midst of attempting to recover the SSD but first, need to get my hands on a Runcore ZIF external USB drive enclosure that has a green (not dark blue) PCB. It's a complicated procedure I need to do, failing which my only other choice is to RMA the drive, which I'm trying to avoid.

I'm posting this here as a warning and will update if I'm able to successfully recover and 'unlock' my drive.

Re: WARNING: Do not upgrade firmware directly from 1571 to 1916 for Runcore Pro IV SS

Hello,

Just registred when I saw your post about NOT upgrading from 1571 to 1916...

That was just in time, as I was about to do exactly this upgrade...

Now that mentioned it, I had to browse through the chinese website to find the 1819 Firmware upgrade.

I downloaded the 1819 updgrade tutorial from their website (here : http://www.runcore.com.cn/common/download.ashx?id=27).
    By chance, there was a direct link to the 1819 Firmware at the end of the PDF :

RunCore FW1819 Update(Samsung Mdie Flash ) Release Version
    RunCore FW1819 Update(Samsung Ddie Flash ) Release Version

I must say that I DO NOT HAVE TESTED IT (yet !). The Tutorial is in chinese but it's looking similar to the tutorial for the 1916 on the runcore website (in english).
    According to screenshots, .exe for DOS upgrade are in english...

I think I'm gonna give it a try !

Comment

Re: WARNING: Do not upgrade firmware directly from 1571 to 1916 for Runcore Pro IV SS

Dear bungee28,

When i try to upgrade my firmware i had the same problem. I upgrade
      directly from 1571 to the 1916 with the same result, i lost access to my disk.

You need to upgrade to the 1819 first, then 1916. I want to tell you that in my case i need to put the jumper that you can see INSIDE the pcb who says JP1 to on. Without it the disk fail to upgrade. This jumper is a factory mode jumper.
      After upgrade to 1819 update to 1916.

Hopes this helps to you.

Bye.

Comment

I upgraded my Macbook Air directly to the new firmware without issues.

My guess would be the upgrade method used.

Comment

If you read the published instructions carefully, it sounds like a 1571 direct to 1916 would only work with the Samsung M die flash. Unfortunately, I have the Samsung D flash.

And yes, I'd need to open the SSD casing and insert a jumper as part of the procedure to fix my problem. I've received instructions and some custom initialization 'simplified MP tool' from Runcore Support, and am waiting to get my hands on a ZIF ext USB enclosure.

Comment

Originally posted by bungee28 View Post
            If you read the published instructions carefully, it sounds like a 1571 direct to 1916 would only work with the Samsung M die flash. Unfortunately, I have the Samsung D flash.

And yes, I'd need to open the SSD casing and insert a jumper as part of the procedure to fix my problem. I've received instructions and some custom initialization 'simplified MP tool' from Runcore Support, and am waiting to get my hands on a ZIF ext USB enclosure.
            Hello,

did you get the ssd reflashed?
            I made the same mistake and now i hope to repair the device.

Regards

Comment

ARG!
              i made the same mistake!

now i'm stuck

i have a ZIF case so i can connect the disk to my computer using an USB cable... but what can i do now?

i mean, if i try to reflash the disk, the tool is not able to find my disk because it's connected using USB!

do you have a solution?

it's a big mistake from runcore that they didn't write this information in the PDF in the firmware installation manual...
              i was really happy with this 64GB samsung D Die disk: really fast... but now i'm a bit disapointed :(

thank you for your warning, event if it's a bit late for me!

Comment

Any chance of posting the instructions and maybe even some pics? I'm in the same boat but don't want to send my SSD back overseas to have it fixed - too long and risky, I'd rather have a go myself.

Thanks heaps,

Goldy

Comment

Comment

I read this thread and was afraid to perform the upgrade.

However, I really wanted to upgrade from 1571 to 1916.

So, I read and reread the manual several times. I even printed it out so that I would have it in front of me during the upgrade.

I decided to trust the manual when it said that my drive (M die) could be upgraded from 1571 to 1916 and took the plunge.

My drive now works great - it has regained its speed and seems to be as fast as it was when it was new.

Comment

check this solution:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/runcore/...bad-flash.html

Comment

Hello folks,

today I read this thread and I discovered, that I had a similar problem one year ago. I want to inform you about my solution. Of course t think I had a bit of luck :-)
                        The password to unlock the RuncoreSSD was

Can you read it? Its 32x the space key.
                        I tryed some passwords and found out, that the maximum length is 32 characters. And after some attempts I accidental entered 32 time the space key.

So I hope this works for you too.

greetings from Germany.

Comment

Working...
                        X