Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RunCore SSD W/ MacBook Air Rev A, Boot Camp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RunCore SSD W/ MacBook Air Rev A, Boot Camp?

Does anyone know if Boot Camp works with the RunCore SSD on the MacBook Air Rev A?

I have an OCZ SSD in my iMac and I know there are problems supporting Boot Camp with these after market SSDs. I want to buy one for my MacBook Air Rev A, but, I need boot camp to work.

Thanks

Re: RunCore SSD W/ MacBook Air Rev A, Boot Camp?

Anybody?

Comment

Hi there,

Well, my machine it's a MBP (2006), with a RunCore 256GB 2,5" and bootcamp works perfect, like in a regular HDD, for a MB Air I think it's a 1,8" but anyway shouldn't be different.

Hope this help.
      Regards,
      Mario
      PD: let me know if you need further info...

Comment

Originally posted by bdavidson View Post
        Does anyone know if Boot Camp works with the RunCore SSD on the MacBook Air Rev A?

I have an OCZ SSD in my iMac and I know there are problems supporting Boot Camp with these after market SSDs. I want to buy one for my MacBook Air Rev A, but, I need boot camp to work.

Thanks
        What is the operating system you want to installed? Windows 7 ?
        What size of partition you made for boot camp?

Comment

Windows 7 and I currently have a 32gb partition for windows. What I fear is that the windows partition and any non MACOS DVDs will not boot with the SSD installed. It is exactly what happened in my imac with OCZ brand SSD.

Comment

I think it's the fault of CD-ROM or Reinstallation DVD.
            Because I have installed the second OS of Windows 7 on my MacBook smoothly.
            Last edited by cc101; 02-10-2010, 12:07 AM.

Comment

I really think its an issue with the bios in the particular Mac. I have an ssd that when installed in my MBP, windows/DOS CD/DVDs boot fine, but the same drive in my iMac with the same CD/DVDs, i just get the grey screen.

I wouldn't just assume a different Runcore drive in a different model Mac means that it works in all model macs. (as you noted in the other BootCamp thread...

Comment

UPDATE

Success!

I received my 64GB RunCore SSD for my MBA Rev A today. (RCP-IV-ZA1864-C). It came with the most current firmware 1916. I used the included Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my existing Mac partition to the SSD. I then installed it quickly and easily into my MBA. Once installed, the MBA booted up first time without problems.

First thing I tried was booting off the windows 7 install disk and a dos firmware update CD from an external DVD drive. Both worked perfectly. (This is what doesn't work with an SSD in my 2007 iMac.) I also tried booting off the Snow Leopard install DVD for good measure. It worked perfectly also.

Next I used Boot Camp assistant and created a new boot camp partition. No problem. Then I used WinClone to restore a backup I made of my previous boot camp partition. I rebooted with the option key and booted into the new Bootcamp partition. After a very, very long disckchk Windows 7 wanted me to do, I arrived at the Windows desktop. Again, everything worked perfectly.

I only have less than 12 hours on the SSD, but I am currently very satisfied. At the moment, I would recommend the RunCore SSDs for MBA Rev A owners without hesitation.

One thing I noticed is that this SSD isn't as fast as the OCZ Vertex I have in my iMac. Not sure if its due to the RunCore SSD or the PATA MBA. Here is an xbench result from the MBA:

Results 113.05
                System Info
                Xbench Version 1.3
                System Version 10.6.2 (10C540)
                Physical RAM 2048 MB
                Model MacBookAir1,1
                Drive Type RunCore 64G-C SSD RunCore 64G-C SSD
                Disk Test 113.05
                Sequential 80.40
                Uncached Write 84.92 52.14 MB/sec [4K blocks]
                Uncached Write 83.28 47.12 MB/sec [256K blocks]
                Uncached Read 51.51 15.07 MB/sec [4K blocks]
                Uncached Read 152.55 76.67 MB/sec [256K blocks]
                Random 190.35
                Uncached Write 80.43 8.51 MB/sec [4K blocks]
                Uncached Write 180.06 57.65 MB/sec [256K blocks]
                Uncached Read 1795.79 12.73 MB/sec [4K blocks]
                Uncached Read 404.88 75.13 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Comment

Well.
                  Yes, it based on a PATA interface.

Comment

I am not aware of the theoretical limits of the PATA interface, hence the question in my original post.

That being said, I did go back to the numbers RunCore advertised on this model SSD and My numbers are corresponding to their numbers.

Comment

Working...
                    X