No announcement yet.

MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

That's where I have a difference as I have a mobile account connected to an xserve, therefore I need a least to logout to ensure proper Syncing with the Xserve, so switching off for me makes barely a difference.

Gilles

Comment

• Comment

Originally posted by bgxmmx View Post
        mine (IDE PATA for X40) was fast but blue screen for anything involving sequencial write... hope yours will be fine!

out of curiosity, which SATA to PATA converter does my SSD use ? (brand new RCP-IV-P1864-C)
        This one cannot run on MacAir.

Comment

It could be the 128 GB.
          Well, another difference between our two systems is you are running Snow Leopard.
          I'm still running 10.5.8.
          Maybe Snow Leopard is better in waking up.

Can you look into your log -- do you have any instances of "IOATAController device blocking bus" at all?

Comment

I've got the 128GB and no issues waking from sleep. I checked Console and found no instances of "IOATAController" after system having gone into and woken from sleep successfully. I've been running the new drive for about 2 weeks now.

Running 10.6.1.

Model Identifier: MacBookAir1,1
            Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
            Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz
            Number Of Processors: 1
            Total Number Of Cores: 2
            L2 Cache: 4 MB
            Memory: 2 GB
            Bus Speed: 800 MHz
            Boot ROM Version: MBA11.00BB.B03
            SMC Version (system): 1.23f20

Comment

Guys a couple eeePC users have had this problem one of them just changed the RAM and they no longer have the problem. Do either of you have an aftermarket RAM upgrade?

Matt

Comment

jajajjaajaj, excuse me for that, but have you ever seen a Macbook Air?.....

The Ram is "integrated" in the Mainboard jejejejej not upgrade or change is posible. Maybe with an iron solder....

Comment

Originally posted by j0yk View Post
                  I've got the 128GB and no issues waking from sleep.
                  Running 10.6.1.

Model Identifier: MacBookAir1,1
                  Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz
                  This is encouraging me to switch to 10.6.1.
                  (Or, of course, it might be the fact that I have a 1.6 GHz. Or it might be a random tolerance of some random component.)
                  I'll report when I have done that.

(And no, I haven't soldered in new RAM :-)

Comment

Originally posted by checkitout View Post
                    This is encouraging me to switch to 10.6.1.
                    I'll report when I have done that.
                    Done, same problem: of 5 sleep attempts, 2 locked up.
                    Same (similar? I didn't take a photo this time) message.
                    Back to hibernatemode 1 (which takes about 70 s to wake up, eek).

Originally posted by checkitout View Post
                    (Or, of course, it might be the fact that I have a 1.6 GHz. Or it might be a random tolerance of some random component.)
                    Those who have seen that -- are your MBA11s 1.6 GHz or 1.8 GHz?

Runcore: This would also be a good time to explain how you plan to handle this problem.

Comment

Mine is a 1,6 Ghz, could you tell us how to repeat the process?
                      You put it in sleep mode via the apple menu, or closing the laptop?

I want to repeat what you do in my air and check what happends.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by poteck View Post
                        Mine is a 1,6 Ghz, could you tell us how to repeat the process?
                        You put it in sleep mode via the apple menu, or closing the laptop?

I want to repeat what you do in my air and check what happends.

Thanks.
                        I have tried both, with the same result (1/4 to 2/5 of the time it hangs during wakeup because the Runcore blocks the ATA bus).

The normal way to use an MBA is to just close it when you are done at one meeting and open it at the next one; it usually is back to life in 2-3 seconds.
                        That gives it the feeling of a "book", you no longer think about "starting" or "shutting down" the computer. (Actually, if you open it before the safesleep hibernation is done, it doesn't really go to sleep at all but just interrupts the hibernation.)

Just to see whether the lid mechanism had anything to do with the bug, I also tried the menu. The laptop wakes up when you press any key (and hangs about every third try with the Runcore).

In order to see what happens, I ran this on a root shell (sudo bash):

while sleep 3; do dmesg; done

This window must be on top when you close/sleep because you won't regain control when the wakeup hangs. When you open the lid/press any key, you can see that the system reinitializes various subsystems. It either comes back, or, after a minute or two, you get to see the error message "IOATAController device blocking bus", repeated a couple of times.

Comment

Ok, so this problem does not occur to all MBA Rev A 1.6Ghz machines with Runcore SSD.

We cannot reproduce this problem on our MBA Rev A back in China so we are not sure how to attack this problem.

I see poteck is using a 64GB drive and it is working while the 128GB drives are getting the error. Is there anyone out there with an MBA 1.6Ghz and a Runcore 128GB Drive that is not getting this error coming out of sleep or hibernate?

Matt

Comment

• Last edited by poteck; 10-22-2009, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Runcore Marketing View Post
                              Ok, so this problem does not occur to all MBA Rev A 1.6Ghz machines with Runcore SSD.

We cannot reproduce this problem on our MBA Rev A back in China so we are not sure how to attack this problem.

I see poteck is using a 64GB drive and it is working while the 128GB drives are getting the error. Is there anyone out there with an MBA 1.6Ghz and a Runcore 128GB Drive that is not getting this error coming out of sleep or hibernate?

Matt
                              Note that the MBA comes back out of hibernate OK (well, most of the time -- I had two glitches so far but I didn't examine in detail, so I'm not claiming a bug here).
                              It's coming out of sleep that reliably is unreliable.

You can use the "while sleep 3; do dmesg; done" trick I mentioned to see what's going on during wakeup; but you have to be patient as the kernel wait for the ATA interface tends to block things and you may not see anything until the MBA has given up on the drive, which takes several minutes (and, of course, you won't see anything if any part of Terminal or the shell has been paged out...).

Comment

• Discussion Sleep issues on Mac with Vertex and 1.4Beta FW or 1.41Beta FW...its time to back flash to 1.30 getting ready for the new FW release. - OCZ Forum
                                Last edited by poteck; 10-23-2009, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X