Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EEE PC 1000 SATA Drive Problem

Hi

I have foolishly (methinks) bought a 16GB Sata drive (RCP-I-S7016-C) eee pc 1000 (rather than a slower PATA one).

Current challenge is trying to boot into standard xandros on the secondary master (internal 50mm drive) that has the standard 4 asus partitions. The SATA drive seems to go in as Primary Slave and hence seems to interfere with the drive order, and screw up grub (I think). Maybe the /dev/sda drive is now the SATA drive, instead of what grub expects to be the Sec. Mast.?

Any help gratefully recieved,
    Stu

Error message is:
    cp: /mnt-system/boot/startup.fb : No such file or directory
    mount: Mounting /dev/sda2 on /mnt-user failed: Invalid Argument
    Error mounting user partition. Must run filesystem scan!
    switch_root: Bad init '/sbin/scanuser.sh'

menu.lst entry is:
    root (0x80,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinux-2.6.21.4-eeepc quiet rw vga=785 irqpoll root=/dev/sda1
    initrd /boot/initramfs-eeepc.img

Bios verison 0913.
    Last edited by stupes; 06-19-2009, 11:08 AM.

Re: EEE PC 1000 SATA Drive Problem

hi, could you see the Runcore ssd in BIOS configuration?

Comment

Yes definitely there. It is detected as a primary slave.

( sorry for the delay I have been on holiday )

Comment

Maybe you could remove Runcore ssd and boot up from the original ssd to confirm the os file is integrated~
        If it is ok, try to update to the latest bios version 1106, and setting the original ssd as the 1st drive in BIOS.

Comment

Hi

I am fairly sure the bios version on the pos above is the latest for the 1000.

As an update, I managed to get XP installed, by creating a BartPE bootable memory stick XP installation "disk", and though this failed, it did that basic disk stuff (low lelve) and so when I imaged my old XP drive onto it using acronis it booted no problem.

However now I have only single boot, and was hoping to get dual boot. if I press escape during boot and tell the bios to boot from secondary master (original xandros disk) it still fails as above.

Any ideas.
          Stu

Comment

Oh I should have mentioned that I can easily revert to my old working configuration by replacing the old SSD. The old config was:

SM = 4 partitions as per eeepc. 1 BIOS part, 3 Linux I believe.
            SS = a user linux partition, and the working but slow, windows partition

both linux and windows boot then.

Comment

Linux may have sata driver problem.
              you may install the newst Linux version, it has included SATA driver
              the original is pata one, so after os cloning, it surely not work

Comment

Thanks for this.

Just to clarify, Linux is on the PATA drive that came with the eeepc (the internal one) and does not need to access the SATA drive which has XP on it

Is this as you thought?

Comment

hi, stupes. maybe you should swap it for a pata mini pcie ssd, and have a try~

Comment

Thanks for the advice, but I have a bootable XP version now, and I am fairly sure that the issue with Linux can be sorted by adjusting the Grub menu.lst. So next step is to become a Grub expert, if I get time. Unless anyone out there can look at the above error and short cut me?

I think the drives it is trying to mount are on the new SATA drive as it is consider first in the drive list now (regardless of the Bios setting).

Comment

Working...
                    X