RunCore Pro PATA Mini Zif SSD - MSI Wind U115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RunCore Pro PATA Mini Zif SSD - MSI Wind U115

The U115 is another netbook RunCore expects 'soon to be compatible with'. I happen to own the netbook, and like to enquire whether it's safe to buy the SSD.
    Thanks

Re: RunCore Pro PATA Mini Zif SSD - MSI Wind U115

Never know until you try. I would love to see how it works out and suggest you wait for the next production batch coming out really soon that wee have confirmed to work with the Acer Aspire One. The new production model hasa wider range of compatibility.

let us know how it works out I have heard the Mini Zif in there is very slow so if it works you should get a real boost. If it does not work return it for a refund and we will pick one of those computers up to figure out what the issue may be.

Matt Dawson
    Runcore CMO

Comment

Originally posted by Runcore Marketing View Post
      Never know until you try. I would love to see how it works out and suggest you wait for the next production batch coming out really soon that wee have confirmed to work with the Acer Aspire One. The new production model hasa wider range of compatibility.

let us know how it works out I have heard the Mini Zif in there is very slow so if it works you should get a real boost. If it does not work return it for a refund and we will pick one of those computers up to figure out what the issue may be.

Matt Dawson
      Runcore CMO
      Thanks for the reply Matt,

I would be willing to experiment, even as MyDigitalDiscount doesn't seem to
      offer "return for a refund" - Runcore site states only "Soon to be compatible" with MSI Wind U115.

BTW When to expect this "next batch"? When will it reach MyDigitalDiscount? I'm particularly interested in 32GB Pro PATA Mini Zif (RCP-I-Z5032-C)

Regards,
      Vlad

Comment

Hi,
        i also need 2 modules 32GB for WIND U115.
        Do you have news?
        Thanks
        Roadster51

Comment

oh, great

Comment

"next production batch coming out really soon that wee have confirmed to work with the Acer Aspire One"

Today I received UPDATED RCP-I-Z5032-C as RMA for woes on previous version. Aspire One...

I am a H/W engineer, and definitely know what I am doing.

Observations:

ZIF connector not very solid
            USB access not working (crashes Aspire One and another XP machine)
            When installed, drive not recognized by Acronis TrueImage (acer drive is)

So, I'm dead in the water, about to give up on Runcore.

Has this really been tested with Aspire One? Open to suggestions.

Comment

Spoke too soon (Aspire One):

Used original aspire zif cable. Runcore connector is cheap. Much re-positioning of zif.

Managed to clone Aspire SSD to Runcore using Acronis TrueImage. Took several tries (R/W) errors.

First use of CrystalDiskMark => blue screen of death.

Performance:
              Boots blazingly fast!

Sequential: Read 61.40, Write 38.14 MB/s
              Random(512K): Read 59.63, Write 26.91 MB/s
              Random(4K): Read 10.42, Write 1.938 MB/s

If no future posts, result is stable and trouble free.

Comment

Check this thread out.
                Msi Wind Forums • View topic - U115 upgradeable?
                I bought one on ebay last week. Got it today, and it works.
                I believe it's the new version since true image was created on June 08th within the drive.

Comment

Ok,

Here is what I got. With the original(either MSI's or RunCore) cables it would revert to PIO mode whenever the SSD gets screwed in. The same cables would work well in DMA mode if left hanging off tghe motherboard. Should you bend it to secure the SSD inside the enclosure, next reboot will be in PIO mode.

I sorted it out by buying shorter ZIF cable, just 1.18" in length. Had to cut about 2mm off ZIF connector on the SSD side. With scissors.

I'm not sure whether I have "older" or "newer" revision of the SSD, asked MyDigitalDiscount about that, they aren't too responsive.

JMicron controller in this thing has reputation to be somewhat power hungry compared to controllers from Intel and Samsung. Doesn't seem to shorten U115's effectiveness too much...

Comment

Working...
                  X