Bad Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Drive

Last week, I ordered a drive from MDD, a RunCore 128GB SATA drive. I made an image of my current drive then when i went to load the image on the RunCore it got to about 90% and failed because it couldnt write to a sector. Not only could it not write to a sector, but the drive disappeared, i had to put it in the usb caddy for the computer to recognize it again. I tried to search the internet for SSD diagnostic tools, there are none. There are some for flash drives but the flash drive utility wont test the RunCore :-\ Anyway I tried to load the images a few more times, did some stuff with hex editor, etc etc. Still doesnt work, I had to RMA it. I get the new drive tommorrow. I will post how that goes

I read on the RunCore website where it does some state of the art block mapping to locate and record bad sectors and what not. Well if they do that when they manufacture the drive....Why did this happen?

I think a good idea for RunCore would be to release some kind of SSD diagnostic utility so that users can read AND write test their drive. Are you listening RunCore?? You could be SSD diagnostic pioneers!

Phase 2 of that would be if a bad block was found to update the firmware with that information so that it wouldnt be used again.

Just random thoughts I had after searching the internet for hours hoping I could find something to revive my new SSD

Re: Bad Drive

so i got the new drive today, installed the image on it. And i do have to say this SSD is amazingly fast, but not as fast as the specs say(240mb/sec) im only getting around 130mb/sec, im running this in a dell M1710. is there anyway to get more speed out of the drive?
    Last edited by TMDJ; 06-02-2009, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TMDJ View Post
      so i got the new drive today, installed the image on it. And i do have to say this SSD is amazingly fast, but not as fast as the specs say(240mb/sec) im only getting around 130mb/sec, im running this in a dell M1710. is there anyway to get more speed out of the drive?
      Unfortunately probably not. We have noticed that there are many computers out there today that have SATA I BUS not SATA II and also there are computers out there with even lower than SATA I. Like the Dell Mini 10, it cannot go faster than 50MB/sec.

But one good thing we have noticed is the Random Read and Writes speeds remain thought he roof even with the machines that cannot support a full SATA II BUS. The Random R/W is the absolute most important thing to look at when running an OS since you are dealing with thousands and thousands of small files. And that is where this drive really shines. I would not worry about calling Dell but there may be a BIOS update that could fix this issue, how often do you need to transfer a large file at 240/MB vs. 130MB/sec sec anyhow and what could you possibly use to do it with unless you had another Runcore drive hooked up?

Matt Dawson<o:p></o:p>
      Runcore CMO<o:p></o:p>
      www.Runcore.com<o:p></o:p>
      www.twitter.com/runcore
      Last edited by Runcore Marketing; 06-03-2009, 01:23 PM.

Comment

That is a good point, thank you for your reply

Comment

yes, SATA I's speed limited to 150MB

Comment

Working...
          X