Strange disk activity under RAID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange disk activity under RAID

I've recently upgraded from an ageing Intel i7 system to a Ryzen 5 5600X on a Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AX Motherboard. Overall, I'm very pleased with the system but have run into a couple of quirks (minor USB connectivity issues and occasional loss of the Bluetooth device). Thankfully, forums such as this help to identify potential solutions to these problems and I'm hoping the imminent AGESA updates will resolve them but that remains to be seen.

One other issue that I'm really puzzled over and have found no relevant information about is as follows:

It's a Windows 10 Pro system with an NVMe M.2 SSD C: drive and I've added 2 x 3TB SATA HDD as a RAID 1 mirrored pair D: drive. All is working fine. However, it was audibly obvious that the disks were being constantly interrogated for some reason. Task Manager showed no disk activity at all on D: as far as Windows was concerned but I could hear that the pair were being constantly accessed. This was some time after the mirror was confirmed as complete, so the drives weren't being accessed to initialise the mirror.

I thought a Background Scan might be active so checked in RAIDXpert2 but that only gave the option Start a scan. Weirdly, I clicked Start, and the disk activity instantly stopped. At the moment, I've left the scan running (ie only Stop is now active) and the disks remain silent unless I do something to cause them to be accessed.

Any thoughts about what might be going on are very welcome!

Working...
X