Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorrect BIOS on R9 290 - Gigabyte support can't help

Hi all,

This issue I'm having of FPS drops due to incorrect BIOS on GPU's, has been going for over 8 months and Gigabyte support can't help me.

After long discussions with their support, they refer me to get supported by my vendor, which obviously cannot do much.

I'm trying to reach out for help here. Hoping someone has the expertise to sort this out.

The Specs
    2x R9 290 OC editions.
    Specific models are: GV-R929OC-4GD-GA (a.k.a WindForce X3 OC R9 290 Edition)

GPU-Z BIOS Version: 015.042.000.003.00000
    Memory vendor: Elpida
    GPU Clock / Memory Clock: 1040/5000MHz

Current VBIOS version: F5 which was downloaded from GV-R929OC-4GD-GA | Graphics Card - GIGABYTE
    You can see that F5 is suitable for my GPU's.

The Problem
    At some point last year, I flashed F5 on both GPU's and I started noticing severe FPS drops mid-game. Using same AMD driver and same game settings.
    I didn't want to revert back to what seems to be F3L VBIOS version, since Gigabyte support claims that these are not the correct VBIOS for my GPU's

Gigabyte Responses
    According to the serial numbers I provided to their support, they claim that
    Quote:
    every graphics card has different BIOS series, in this case, your two graphics cards BIOS series are FA0-FA9 (the exact BIOS version you will need to check through OC Guru II utility) and there is no BIOS version for your graphics cards to flash. Meanwhile, the graphics cards BIOS series are not defined by memory chip.

About the issue you encountered, as you flashed wrong BIOS version, it needs a further examination. Please contact your supplier or local technician and see if they can assist with some extra fees.

OC Guru II utility doesn't provide the BIOS version... I think it's because I have the wrong BIOS flashed. It just displays empty field.

Further email from Gigabyte support:
    Quote:
    GIGABYTE's graphics cards have different BIOS versions for one model. As mentioned in previous mail, both your graphics cards BIOS version series are FA0-FA9 series. There is no newer BIOS version for your graphics cards.

Please note:
    You can only update to a VBIOS version of the same series.
    If your VBIOS version is:
    F1, it can only be updated with VBIOS versions F2-F9.
    F10, it can only be updated with VBIOS versions F11-F19.
    F20, it can only be updated with VBIOS versions F21-F29.

I don't understand this response, and they are not able to clarify. At this point, I'm very confused.
    The link I provided to download the BIOS version, do not correspond with their response. Yet, this link directs to the model of my GPU. No where I can find this FA0-FA9 versions.

Does anyone here have R9 290 with similar specs like I do, and is a FA0-FA9 version?
Working...
X