Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-Z97X-SLI beeps continuously then turns off and restarts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z97X-SLI beeps continuously then turns off and restarts?

A friend brought me his son's gaming rig to try and figure out what's wrong with it. As the title says, when the system is powered on it beeps continuously (more than 15 beeps, after that I lose count) then it shuts off and several seconds later starts itself again.

I tried researching this problem and most threads about this kind of problem seemed to suggest that it was bad ram. This system has four slots two of which are populated with 2 - 4GB AData modules part number AX3U1866W4G10-BGV, I bought comparable Corsair Vengeance ram and replaced the AData but still the system does the same thing.

Also this system has a corsair CX600 power supply, I have one of those PSU tester gizmos and it says the PSU is giving out the correct amount of power all around so I doubt it's a PSU problem.

Any insights into what could be wrong here? Motherboard bad? CPU bad?

Re: GA-Z97X-SLI beeps continuously then turns off and restarts?

I've experienced the same issue, and here is what I did:

• Unplug the system, and press the power button for 30 seconds.
    • Clear the CMOS (Remove the silver battery for 5 minutes).
    • Use canned air to clean the RAM slot.
    • Start the system with out any RAM, and then after 30 seconds turn the system off.
    • Insert one DIMM. Be sure that it is seated properly.
      • If system still doesn't boot, move the DIMM to another slot. (Turn system off first)

Let me know if the problem still exist, and I'll try to assist further.

Comment

Originally posted by Vahkesh View Post

• Start the system with out any RAM, and then after 30 seconds turn the system off.
        • If system still doesn't boot, move the DIMM to another slot. (Turn system off first)

I've tried what you outlined here and I've managed to get the system to boot with one DIMM in, it doesn't matter which one but once I put the second in the exact same thing happens i.e. the system beeps wildly and then turns off and reboots itself. The motherboard was using an older Bios F8 and I updated it to the latest F10b but I still have the exact same problem, this system won't work with both DIMM's in the slots, it will work with either one but not both?

Any ideas on why this is?

Comment

Originally posted by Vahkesh View Post

I tried what you outlined and the system will boot with only one DIMM in, it doesn't matter which of the two it is not does it matter which of the pair of ram slots I try; one works (again either DIMM) but put the second one in and it goes back to doing the exact same thing i.e. beeping and shuting down and rebooting and repeating that in an endless loop.

The system had an old F8 bios so I updated to the latest F10b bios but that didn't seem to make any difference? Not sure what's going on here, the ram slots are clean and both chips appear good but put both in either of the pair of slots and the system won't start?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X