Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 - how to populate dual channel slots with different memory sticks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 - how to populate dual channel slots with different memory sticks?

I have a GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 MoBo 1.x revision with a AMD Phenom II X4 955 C3 revision CPU and Corsair XMS3 DDR3 8GB 2000MHz CL9 (2x4GB) CMX8GX3M2A2000C9 in slots DDR3_1 and DDR3_2, memory set to Unganged mode.
    I have ordered Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 16GB 1866MHz (2x8GB) BLT2CP8G3D1869DT1TX0CEU for an upgrade.
    The question is how to populate the slots?
    I have read the Phenom has 2 independent memory controllers, each capable to use different memory timings.
    That would suggest to put always the same modules on one channel but then one channel would have 8GB of RAM and the second 16GB of RAM - is that a problem?
    Or the the obvious second choice - populate each channel with a Crucial and a Corsair module.
    In that case both channels have the same amount of memory but consisting of two different modules - is that a better choice?

Re: GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 - how to populate dual channel slots with different memory sticks?

Just to let you know how it went.
    I've put the Crucials on one channel and Corsairs on the other channel, tested with Memtest and all was OK.
    I've slightly overclocked the CPU to 3.6GHz and the memory to 1600MHz, tested with Prime and Memtest and it's rock stable.
    Now I'm thinking of an CPU upgrade, the FX-8350 looks good ...

Comment

Working...
    X