No announcement yet.

Cpu surge when using the browser of doing a virus check Z170x gaming 7 I7 6700k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cpu surge when using the browser of doing a virus check Z170x gaming 7 I7 6700k

Since I have my second GB z170x gaming 7 mother I noticed that when I'm using the browser or do a Norton virus check the
    CPU temp increases from idle 30d.c to 65 d.g. even saw 80 d.c. yesterday.

When I check the process manager the processor is running at 48% but the temperature increases substantially.

I had this before ocassionally but now it seems to happen each and every time I do a simple task.

Already did a clean w10 install all drivers up todate, apparently this seems to be a w10bug?

Looking forward to feedback / ideas.

tks.

Re: Cpu surge when using the browser of doing a virus check Z170x gaming 7 I7 6700k

Has no body came across this problem?

Comment

Re: Cpu surge when using the browser of doing a virus check Z170x gaming 7 I7 6700k

I don't think what you are experiencing is a Win 10 bug, because I have not had that happen and have been running Win 10 since it came out.

Your temperatures seem high for a 6700k. Are you running at stock clocks or have you over clocked your 6700K? And if so what overclock and what voltage are you running at?

If your 6700k is at default clocks, then you seem to have an issue with your cooling, as it should not get to 80C, by simply browsing or running a virus check.

What CPU Cooler are you using and what TIM have you applied and how have you applied it ?

Can you run either AIDA stress test or Realbench and report what temps you get after running them.

Use CPUID HWMonitor to monitor your temps while running the above programs and see what max temps you get.

Comment

Everything set at stock speed no overclock, I use a Gelid Cpu with 2 fans cooler and Arctic Silver Thermal Compound.

Yesterday removed the cpu cooler and applied a litte more paste, now running at max 70/72 d.c and 30 d.c. idle.

With my old mb I also noticed that on some occassions the cpu temp would incease when the cpu was active, but
        since I have this new mb (same) I noticed it happens more frequently.

Aida Cpu stress test max 67 d.c. cpu running 100 percent capacity.
        Last edited by polypenko; 01-30-2016, 09:25 AM.

Comment

What is your ambient temperature?

Your temps still seem a bit high. I am running water cooling and in Aida Stress Test my temps don't go above 45C, when running stock clocks.
          I know you are running air cooling and not water, but I had a Noctua NH-15 on my 6700K, before I changed to water cooling and idle temps were 26-27C and load temps at stock clocks where around 55-60C, depending on how fast I had the fans spinning.

Which is why I keep suggesting your cooling is not as effective as it should be.

I was using Arctic Silver 5 and was applying it using the line method. But I am now using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, which is the best non conductive TIM on the market at the moment and my temps are excellent.

Just to give you an idea of temps, so you have a comparison, when I run my 6700K at 4.7GHZ at 1.35volt, and run Aida Stress test, it gets upto 70C max.

Another thing you can try is go into your bios and under Voltage Settings menu, there is a submenu called CPU Voltages, go in there and set the CPU VCore to 1.25 volt.

When it is set to Auto, it will run the CPU Vcore as high as 1.38-1.4volt, which is not needed at stock clock on a 6700K. 1.25 Volt is more than enough to run at 4.2ghz and it will run your cpu a lot cooler.
          In fact you could even set it to 1.2 Volt if you want and as long as you don't run anything as intensive as Prime95, it will be enough voltage for day to day use.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Fact11, tks fr. yr. advise and tips.

Changed the CpuVcore from auto to 1.25 v, did an Aida cpu test only max temp 50 d.c. than ran the fulltest briefly temp 58 / 64 d.c.

Than did a video file converstion temp max 50 d.c.

Ambient temp 20 d.c

So by changing the auto settings to manual it certainly reduced the high temperatures.

Would it have sence to switch of Hyperturbo? and just run at max 4000mhz - 1.25v?

Comment

No probs, glad I could help.

Now your temps are spot on.

No I would leave Turbo on, so that way you get the extra speed boost when needed and it won't affect your temps, as the temps you have now are with Turbo frequency.

If anything I would now overclock your 6700k, as you now have some headroom with your temps.

Try 4.5 Ghz first and see what temps you get. You should get approx somewhere between 70-75 in Aida Full Stress Test, with air cooling.

Make sure to set both your CPU Frequency and Cache Frequency to 4.5Ghz.
              Then set your Load Line Calibration to High
              Then set your CPU Vcore to 1.3 volt which is perfect for 4.5Ghz.

If it all works well then try increasing the frequency to 4.6 and test again.
              Keep increasing until your temps hit 85-90C, then back it off to the next lowest frequency and that will be your stable frequency that you can run at 24/7 if you like.
              Once you go above 4.6ghz, you will need to set your Load Line Calibration to either Turbo or Extreme and your CPU Vcore to 1.35-1.40, depending on the CPU & Cache frequency.

Comment

Working...
              X