Dead Gigabyte Z170 GT ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Gigabyte Z170 GT ?

I've had a Gigabyte Z170 GT that's been working flawlessly for over a month.

Then yesterday it suddenly refused to post. No lights on the board, nothing.

Figured it could be a faulty PSU so I ordered a new one, which arrived today. Plugged it in and ... nothing. Board still won't light up.

So I've pulled the board out of the case, removed every component but the CPU, and tried both PSUs (both of which power up using the supplied 24-pin tester). The only thing that happens is that the power button on the motherboard flashes once and refuses to power up, even with everything removed but the CPU.

So I'm guessing that my board died.

After starting with a faulty Gigabyte Gaming 7 that would randomly freeze, and now this Gaming GT which appears to have died on me, I'm feeling pretty stake-bitten by the brand.

Is there anything else I can try?

Re: Dead Gigabyte Z170 GT ?

remove battery for an hour (I know they recommend 1 minute but humor me).

Comment

Just pulled it.

Will see what happens. Have already removed the CPU and Heatsink, will reattach and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

FWIW, I pulled out my old EVGA X58 board with the i7 920 that had been in my closet, using both PSUs ... it powers up on the bench with no issues at all.

Guessing that even if the CPU were fried (next to impossible, but still), the board would at least do SOMETHING. Have pulled everything and blasted it with air so I doubt it's a short anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by tt0ne View Post
          remove battery for an hour (I know they recommend 1 minute but humor me).
          Well, I'm typing from my PC again. No idea what went wrong but it's working again.

Pulled the battery for about 45 minutes, and it powered up. Slowly attached peripheral after peripheral and now everything is back and working. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by nbuubu View Post
            Well, I'm typing from my PC again. No idea what went wrong but it's working again.

Pulled the battery for about 45 minutes, and it powered up. Slowly attached peripheral after peripheral and now everything is back and working. Thanks for the suggestion.
            Not sure how, but Windows 10 also deactivated itself in the whole mess. No hardware changed at all, so not sure how that's even possible either.

Comment

Glad that your board is up and running again. When I first installed Windows 10 it registered and activated and then when I updated my motherboard drivers it made me register again (I had to phone the Microsoft 1800 number)... Windows 10 activation works differently now and seems to be a cause of many problems from what I've read on the internet.

tt0ne

Comment

Working...
              X