Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you know what the Debug Code bF- means on the Z170 Gaming GT Motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you know what the Debug Code bF- means on the Z170 Gaming GT Motherboard?

I looked in the manual and the only code that resembles this is "6F" . There is no "bF"
    from searching the net I have found people with the X99 Boards talking about the Q Code "bF" as being an error.
    In the manual for the Gaming GT it says the code 6F is reserved and does not say it is an error.

I am concerned because once completely booted my Debug code would settle at "A0".

I really have done a lot of work figuring things out like I finally ditched the Gigabyte App Center
    because looking in "Security and Maintenance" in the Control panel I saw that Windows was not shutting
    down properly because the App Center EZtune Engine Service and other apps would not shut down as they
    should. So thats fixed.

I flashed my bios to the latest F4f about a couple of weeks ago i think.

I also enabled the Raid Controller and created a Raid 0 array for some games and frankly just to make sure it works

So those are the changes I have made but I am wondering why the Debug Code is now showing i guess "6F"

Does anyone know what this code actually means?
    My Awesome new Windows 10 Pro Computer:

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming GT
    Processor - Skylake i5 6600K
    Memory - G Skill RipJaws V 3200 DDR4 designed for the Z170 chipset 16 Gb
    Fan Heatsink - Noctua NH - U14S (Very wide and tall. It wouldnt work on the G1 if you had a Graphics card in Slot 1)
    Graphics Cards - 2x EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked with Backplate in SLI
    Power Supply - Corsair 850 Watt non modular
    DVD RW - HP dvd1260 SATA model
    SSD drives - Crusial 500 GB System drive for windows
    Crusial 1 TB for Games
    WD Rapter Drive - for Games
    WD Data Drive - for just stuff
    Computer Case - Lian Li Full Tower with Side Window that I modified with a fan to blow on Video cards
    Lastly a bunch of lit up fans and some other cool lighting.

Re: Do you know what the Debug Code bF- means on the Z170 Gaming GT Motherboard?

In the past I've found that the EVGA motherboard user manuals usually have the most complete debug post code descriptions.

Hopefully the attached file will help.

EVGA Z170 Classified (151-SS-E179) User Guide Debug POST Codes.doc

***edit***
    Keep in mind that many of the post codes indicate that a specific initialization routine has started and that these are not debug codes unless your system stops prematurely.
    Last edited by profJim; 10-02-2015, 08:48 AM.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Re: Do you know what the Debug Code bF- means on the Z170 Gaming GT Motherboard?

Originally posted by profJim View Post
      In the past I've found that the EVGA motherboard user manuals usually have the most complete debug post code descriptions.

Hopefully the attached file will help.

[ATTACH]7877[/ATTACH]

***edit***
      Keep in mind that many of the post codes indicate that a specific initialization routine has started and that these are not debug codes unless your system stops prematurely.
      Hi ProfJim

Thanks for the help. I actually called Tech Support about it. First off I was told there is no Code = to bF. So the code is 6F. In the manual it says the codes 6B-6F are reserved
      and that there is no particular Definition to these codes. I was told they are Random codes and if the Computer is functioning properly then don't worry about it.

The only thing my computer is doing that I cant figure out is when I do a Shut down (Turns PC Off) apparently something is triggering a Critical Event in the Stability Index "Windows was not properly shut down" but when you view the details of the event it says , The previous system shutdown , date, was unexpected.

I wonder if this code 6F might be related to this "Stability Index" message. The Stability Index in Windows 10 can be found going to the Control Panel then Security and Maintenance and then from Maintenance you click on view Reliability History.

I have never seen any Windows OS have this type of monitoring tool the user can access. It really is quite cool because Windows tries to fix the stability issues if it can. But this Shutdown issue does not register as a Stability Event that can be solved by Microsoft or anyone.

Everyone using Windows 10 should look at the Stability Index to see what Programs, Processes, Services and Apps might be causing issues.

anyway I am going to try and not think about that code now and take Gigabyte's advise. This is the time when you might not want a big window on the side of your case right? lol
      My Awesome new Windows 10 Pro Computer:

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming GT
      Processor - Skylake i5 6600K
      Memory - G Skill RipJaws V 3200 DDR4 designed for the Z170 chipset 16 Gb
      Fan Heatsink - Noctua NH - U14S (Very wide and tall. It wouldnt work on the G1 if you had a Graphics card in Slot 1)
      Graphics Cards - 2x EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked with Backplate in SLI
      Power Supply - Corsair 850 Watt non modular
      DVD RW - HP dvd1260 SATA model
      SSD drives - Crusial 500 GB System drive for windows
      Crusial 1 TB for Games
      WD Rapter Drive - for Games
      WD Data Drive - for just stuff
      Computer Case - Lian Li Full Tower with Side Window that I modified with a fan to blow on Video cards
      Lastly a bunch of lit up fans and some other cool lighting.

Comment

Working...
      X