Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-Z170X- Gaming 7 always boots to BIOS when using Intel PCIe SSD (NVMe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z170X- Gaming 7 always boots to BIOS when using Intel PCIe SSD (NVMe)

Re: GA-Z170X- Gaming 7 always boots to BIOS when using Intel PCIe SSD (NVMe)

Hi , i have had the exact same issue - i also have the 750 ssd pcie in the x4 slot with the z170 gaming 7 Mobo and only recently have updated the bios to 5e and now it seems to have fixed the issue and boots normally.

You can d/l it from the gigabyte website.

Gigabyte ticket is in but no seems to monitor that section and no help from them.

Cheers

Comment

Hey! I have the exact same hardware and encounter the exact same issue when running the F4 BIOS. I'm running Windows 10 x64.

EDIT: Upgrading to the absolute latest BIOS (F5I) as of this writing seems to have fixed it.

Fair warning - when changing BIOS versions, make sure to make note of your settings, particularly RAID array settings, in case those settings get reset. This happened to me before when trying beta BIOS versions for the Gaming 7.

EDIT: The fair warning is still in effect - I have to rebuild my RAID arrays again from flashing the BIOS. When you have CSM enabled, which is the only way I could get my hardware RAID arrays to work and the BIOS to load per the "no video" thread, it seems like those settings revert and if you get to Windows, you're cooked.

Do either of you folks in this thread have the issue where onboard sound simply doesn't work at all? I can't get any devices to appear in device manager. (I have a ticket filed with Gigabyte, but no joy so far.) The Creative installer from the Gigabyte site says that no supported products could be found, while enabling DSP in the BIOS does make a "high definition audio device" appear in device manager, but none of the Gigabyte-supplied drivers work.
      Last edited by Sahaj; 09-29-2015, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Upgrading to the beta BIOS drives did the trick. Thanks for the help!

As to the sound issue, my speakers seem to work fine so I unfortunately can't help you there.

Comment

Great to hear.

I did get a reply from gigabyte eventually and they told me that i had installed the OS on the ssd from another computer, like are they even reading what i documented in the initial question indicating that this was a complete new build so anyway at least hooray to forums and people willing to share information.

@Sahaj - Yes i did encounter this issue with soundblaster installation but i right clicked and installed as administrator which forced the installation from the Utility cd that comes with the mobo.

Comment

Keeping and eye on threads like these Also got a GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 New Build, with a Samsung SM951 NVMe Drive to get the latest hints and tips Currently on my second Windows 8.1 dummy install, first install was ok but wanted to the bios with CSM disabled and discovered various things like having to update my graphic card bios (GTX 670) to support gop, after that got managed to do a new Windows 8 install with RAID Enabled without Intel Legacy RAID interface the added benefit of installing intel latest storage drivers at boot (14.6) was once in windows even Intel RTS manager could see my nvme drive something under 1st install it couldn't :-)

Never had a problem with the audio though are you using any of the PCI-E Slots just wondering if the on-board audio if running off a PCIE lane and its disabled as you using all the lanes?

Now I'm just waiting for the F5 Final Bios (Probably be named F6) update to that (Currently using original F3) and then move onto a final Windows install and start installing all my other Apps and Games :-) at least in my current state updated the firmware's of my other SSDs and stuff while I wait lol

Comment

Pete, that's an interesting thought, thank you! I've got a GTX 970 in the first x16 slot, an Intel 750 SSD in the x4 slot and a wifi adapter in one of the teeny x1 slots. I thought Skylake had an absurd number of PCI-E lanes, but I'll try looking into that and the Run as Admin advice.

EDIT: Darn - Run as Admin didn't do it.

Comment

Probably isn't what causing it just a maybe ... The processor gives you 16 lanes which generally the graphics card eats up. And Z170 provides a further 20 lanes a m.2 slot will eat up 4 of those the USB 3.1/Thunderbolt will eat up a further 4 etc

Comment

Originally posted by Sahaj View Post
                  Do either of you folks in this thread have the issue where onboard sound simply doesn't work at all? I can't get any devices to appear in device manager. (I have a ticket filed with Gigabyte, but no joy so far.) The Creative installer from the Gigabyte site says that no supported products could be found, while enabling DSP in the BIOS does make a "high definition audio device" appear in device manager, but none of the Gigabyte-supplied drivers work.
                  I'm here for an entirely unrelated reason but I did encounter this specific problem while I was setting this machine up. The fix was, make sure Thunderbolt is enabled in the BIOS (yes, really). Hope that helps!
                  Last edited by citlee; 10-20-2015, 12:34 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

I have the Z170x Gaming 7 with intel i7 6700k bios F5.
                    Last Monday I purchased the Intel 750 (400gb) nvme pci-e version and installed it in the bottom pci-e slot.

Did a clean W 8.1 pro 64 bits install with Rufus Uefi usb stick and the warm boot went a okay, but the next morning when I switched on mij Desktop de Intel 750 was not recognised, instead I got the error msge. "Reboot and select a proper Boot device
                    "
                    When I restarted my pc and hit del to enter the Bios, the first boot sequence was listed a the windows boot manager / intel 750,
                    but when I checked the first boot hd the Intel was not there.

Checking further in the Bios i not get the 750 to list under nmve hd.

Strangly enough after going into the bios, and saving the bios settings I was than sometimes able to reboot into Windows.

But after the Cold boot NO way my desktop would boot to Windows directly.

Installed the latest Intel Tool Box / Intel Data center and Nvme drivers, but I could not get the Nvme ssd to run smoothly
                    with the mb, finally I returned the 750 to the retailer and went back to a Samsung Evo 850.

Comment

The F5 Bios does not boot from PCIE SSD the F6a does , they have gone backwards again with F5 bios.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobes View Post
                        The F5 Bios does not boot from PCIE SSD the F6a does , they have gone backwards again with F5 bios.
                        I'm also using the F6a and now at least i'm able to boot yet my
                        when I look under peripherals

i see my drive
                        yet
                        It has
                        PCIe Maximum Link Width ...:x4
                        PCIe Negotiated Link Width .... x2?

yet I can't see any settings any place to adjust PCIe Link Width

Comment

GA-Z170X- Gaming 7 new BIOS is out.....F6f

Comment

Even with the latest (F6f on gaming 7) and F6g on gaming G1
                            here is what I see when I look at the drive in Bios
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	2s.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	755050Click image for larger version

Name:	2s.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	755050

When you look at the attached half way down you see
                            PCIe Maximum Link Width x4