Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IMPORTANT new Bios addressing the 8016 error in Windows 10 is because of Securom DRM does Bios flash Circumvent Microsoft Policy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMPORTANT new Bios addressing the 8016 error in Windows 10 is because of Securom DRM does Bios flash Circumvent Microsoft Policy?

I like many many other Gamers are getting Securom error dialog boxes with error codes in Windows 10
    I am getting the 8016 code for games like:
    Dead Space
    Shift 2
    Crysis
    and others
    One of the Dialogs finally revealed that Securom wanted me to upload my Computer Stats to them.
    Then I searched the internet and found link after link from Reputable Gaming and Tech sites stating
    what is Microsofts policy on Securom DRM. We cannot play any games that use it whether its from a DVD
    or just embedded in the game that may have bee downloaded like from Amazon and Direct2Drive.

So how is it the Skylake Processor that is the culprit warranting a risky bios flash? There is something seriously wrong
    here. I would like to play these games but to risk a Bios flash on my motherboard for what seems to be misinformation.

The 8016 error states that there was a resident process running in memory preventing Securom from running and the games dont start.

Has anyone flashed there Bios to see if this actually works and Windows 10 lets you play the games?

Looking on the net the 8016 error has been occuring years before , before Skylake Processors. I dont understand this.
    Do you?
    My Awesome new Windows 10 Pro Computer:

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming GT
    Processor - Skylake i5 6600K
    Memory - G Skill RipJaws V 3200 DDR4 designed for the Z170 chipset 16 Gb
    Fan Heatsink - Noctua NH - U14S (Very wide and tall. It wouldnt work on the G1 if you had a Graphics card in Slot 1)
    Graphics Cards - 2x EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked with Backplate in SLI
    Power Supply - Corsair 850 Watt non modular
    DVD RW - HP dvd1260 SATA model
    SSD drives - Crusial 500 GB System drive for windows
    Crusial 1 TB for Games
    WD Rapter Drive - for Games
    WD Data Drive - for just stuff
    Computer Case - Lian Li Full Tower with Side Window that I modified with a fan to blow on Video cards
    Lastly a bunch of lit up fans and some other cool lighting.

Re: IMPORTANT new Bios addressing the 8016 error in Windows 10 is because of Securom DRM does Bios flash Circumvent Microsoft Policy?

Latest official BIOS address this issue (or not?).

Comment

Re: IMPORTANT new Bios addressing the 8016 error in Windows 10 is because of Securom DRM does Bios flash Circumvent Microsoft Policy?

Originally posted by stasio View Post
      Latest official BIOS address this issue (or not?).
      That is exactly why i came here and hoped someone like your self would tell me. All indicators are that 8016 is related to Securom so a Bios update I cant see
      how it would make Securom ridden games work in Windows 10. Microsoft has a list of common games that have Securom and they say they will NOT work in Windows 10 Period.
      NO mention of updated Motherboard Bioses Microsoft Does NOT want Securom to work as well as some of the other DRM.

I just found another Game that gave me the 8016 error and this error has a button that they want you to click that takes you to the Securom website.
      The new game I have that has it is "Command and Conquer Tiberium Wars". I would like to be able to play this game. What really sucks is just about all the games
      with it are EA games.

Do you work for Gigabyte? either way you have inside connections and you know what is going on. I personally am not going to be a test subject on this Bios.
      I would say it will not make my games with Securom on them in Windows 10 Work.

I was under the immpression that the i5 6600k Skylake processor would only run on a Z170 motherboard but apparently it runs on on I think the Z97.
      People are getting the 8016 error outside of Windows 10 so since Gigabyte does not explicitly mention "In Windows 10" then this Bios revision I don't think apples to me.

Fan Heatsink - Noctua NH - U14S (Very wide and tall. It wouldnt work on the G1 if you had a Graphics card in Slot 1)
      Crusial 1 TB for Games
      Computer Case - Lian Li Full Tower with Side Window that I modified with a fan to blow on Video cards

Comment

Firstly,
        I still don't know if you flashed LATEST BIOS from Gigabyte site or either from this forum.
        Either, I don't know your board type.

Second,
        no way that i5 6600k Skylake processor will work with original socket 1150 (Z97).

Third,
        the best and fastest way is to contact GB Technical support.
        Last edited by stasio; 09-08-2015, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Firstly,
          I still don't know if you flashed LATEST BIOS from Gigabyte site or either from this forum.
          Either, I don't know your board type.

Second,
          no way that i5 6600k Skylake processor will work with original socket 1150 (Z97).

Third,
          the best and fastest way is to contact GB Technical support.
          1.) No I have not flashed the Bios on my GA-Z170X Gaming GT Motherboard.
          It has what came on it which is Bios revision F2

2.) Sorry for the confusion with that statement, I knew that Skylake is exclusive to the 1151 Socket type which is supposed to be only on Z170 Chipset boards
          With all the CONSTANT searching the internet from searching for info on Creative Audio Driver issues with the Recon3di Pro Studio speaker headphone glitch
          XMP compatibility for Memory, Gazillions of information about Windows 10 setup for privacy and now Securom preventing games from working , I am tired as hell.

3.) I just looked on GBs website and noticed for the Gaming G1 board that this 8016 Bios rev is BETA but for the Gaming GT it is not. Also which is very concerning
          GB changed the name of the Bios rev for the Beta XMP to F4f and just 2 days ago before the 8016 bios it was named F3*.

So there is a lot of confusion going on right now concerning Securom and now that I have determined that Origin is selling games with Securom in the Download there
          is no point in addressing this anymore.

I just am confused as to how this 8016 update that GB has created doesnt address Securom and explicitly Windows 10. That is the relationship.
          I never used Windows 7 or Windows 8 believe it or not so I have never seen this error. I used Vista 64 Ultimate with Directx 11.

I finally upgraded to a new computer after many years.

One thing is for sure I am taking a break from debugging and troubleshooting if I can. Most people dont put there brains through the nerve wracking Troubleshooting I do.
          That is why I am an Electrical Engineer.

Crusial 1 TB for Games

Comment

I still stand as per my post #2.

So,
            it,s mean flash to BIOS F3 or F4f.

If error code 8016 persist, contact GB Technical Support.

Comment

I still stand as per my post #2.

So,
              it,s mean flash to BIOS F3 or F4f.

If error code 8016 persist, contact GB Technical Support.
              search words: Windows 10 Securom error

Most people will not go through what I have done to discover this. Many people think that Securom is only on DISK based games
              That is untrue. EA is selling through Origin download versions that also have Securom. I have tried several times now on 3 games just downloading and
              have used the Securom removal tool which doesnt even work properly because of Windows 10 security. Its unfortunate that other people in this forum
              are not taking part in this thread. It is very important. Flashing a Bios can Brick the motherboard as you know. It has happened twice in my life. The second time
              was with an Asus Fatality SLI mother board. Asus attempted to help me by sending me 3 Bios Chips and I could NOT believe that all 3 of them would not work.
              Due to that incident I will NEVER buy an Asus motherboard again. I did lots of homework about Gigabyte Motherboards and chose the Gaming GT over the EVGA Classified.
              I hope I made the right decision. I fully support Gigabyte and LOVE this Motherboard I highly reccomend it. I hope that these few areas get resolved. The problems are
              just not deal breaking you know? I mean I can live with the Audio glitch that I diagnosed as Software related, The Pro Studio Recon3di control Panel fails to work properly with
              the audio driver thus if you leave it on speaker mode after a reboot you will not have sound. You have to change back to headphones and your good to go. I hope Creative labs releases
              a new Pro Studio Audio Control Panel that fixes this. This is in Windows 10 Pro as well.

I am really providing all my research for other people that may have come to this website. Unfortunately Stasio you haven't gotten into researching the 8016 error and how it is related to Securom in Windows 10 so here are some links that if you are so inclined to show you what is REALLY happening. Furthermore I am getting stonewalled from EA and Orgini on this as well.
              Eventually more and more people will complain and I honestly doubt EA will strip Securom from the games. And here is the Key point that you probably dont know:

These EA games in Question have over the past couple of months been showing up on Steam to be purchased. Steam strips the Securom from the games. I mean the entire Dead Space series
              games 1,2 and 3 are now available on steam. Shift 2 is on Steam , Burnout Paradise Ultimate edition is on Steam and more just search there games.

So much for Origin competing with Steam right? I mean Gamers will use Steam over Origin all day long making purchases. It is really obvious that these games are showing up on Steam most likely because of the Securom issue in Windows 10. Again hopefully I have helped other Gamers with all my research so they dont have to go nuts over it. My solution is Ill just put back together my Vista machine and run the games from there if I so desire.

Lastly I hope Gigabytes Teir 3 support that I believe writes the Bios or are directly related to naming the bios revisons know exactly what they are doing. So far I have not needed to reflash my bios for any reason. I have given you the information as it pertains to the 8016 error , Securom and Windows 10 and now you see I would have no reason to take the risk on flashing that bios when I already know Windows 10 will NOT let Securom run.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/17/windows-10-safedisc-securom-drm/

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-wont-run-games-safedisc-or-securom-drm

Windows 10 won't play PC games with SafeDisc and SecuROM DRM

Crusial 1 TB for Games

Comment

Now this thread isnt showing up when clicked while alll others are

Crusial 1 TB for Games

Comment

@SkyMike

You haven't created a detailed hardware list in your PC Specs or forum signature so we don't know what hardware is in your system.

With newly released hardware, it's common for newer bios versions to have bug fixes and/or enhancements shortly after the original release date..

With a little poking around I found the image below.

It looks like Gigabyte is aware of the problem.

BTW Stasio isn't always right, but he's never wrong.

Look at the description field in the upper right area for the F5 bios for the GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 motherboard.

Last edited by profJim; 09-09-2015, 01:13 AM. Reason: typo
                  Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                  P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                  4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                  Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                  WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                  Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                  SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                  Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                  Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                  Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                  Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                  HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                  CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                  E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                  Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                  Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                  HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                    @SkyMike

You haven't created a detailed hardware list in your PC Specs or forum signature so we don't know what hardware is in your system.

With newly released hardware, it's common for newer bios versions to have bug fixes and/or enhancements shortly after the original release date..

With a little poking around I found the image below.

It looks like Gigabyte is aware of the problem.

BTW Stasio isn't always right, but he's never wrong.

Look at the description field in the upper right area for the F5 bios for the GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 motherboard.

Believe me I have looked at all 3 of the Gaming series Boards. Again Ill repeat myself , I have the GA-Z170X Gaming GT motherboard. This is the board right under the flagship z170 board the Gaming G1. Yes the F5 bios here does not mention Securom or Windows 10. But that is where the 8016 error for me SPECIFICALLY references Securom as its instigator. Now maybe the 8016 error has been going on for a long time in Windows 7 and Windows 8 and I think I read that it is. It is not exclusive to Securom but for me that is what is causing it. Every game that causes this error at launch reveals that Securom has a problem running. A protective Process is preventing it from running. And that is Windows 10. I provided you guys and anyone else reading some links in the post above so they can check this out for themselves.

People who are more ok with just flashing their bios without as much caution as I take may just flash it thinking it will enable Windows 10 to play games with Securom . It cant. That would undermine Microsofts Windows 10 design. Read those articles so you understand.

Ultimately for certain game to run in Windows 10 us gamers are going to have to rebuy them from Steam. And thats it.

Ill say this one more time I have the GA-Z170X Gaming GT with an i5 6600K Skylake on Windows 10 with 16 gig of DDR4 GSkill 3200 memory. It flys.I am now in debt for a long long time but I love my new computer and I hope in the future all issues get ironed out. Its just this 8016 issue really stings and pisses me off because EA is Stonewalling on it. These games in question in some cases clearly say before you buy them that they have Securom on them.

look at the bottom of the page to see for yourself

Explore PC video games available for download right now. Electronic Arts is a leading publisher of games for the PC, consoles, and mobile.

Crusial 1 TB for Games

Comment

Gigabyte address this issue (error code 8016) with new BIOS last week.

I just ask you to flash latest BIOS or
                      you will still stay with BIOS F2 and write long letters here.

Edit:
                      If you don't know how to flash BIOS...let me know.

Edit1:
                      Btw,
                      this is NOT Gigabyte issue.....it's INTEL issue and they release new CPU Microcode for this.
                      Last edited by stasio; 09-09-2015, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Gigabyte address this issue (error code 8016) with new BIOS last week.

I just ask you to flash latest BIOS or
                        you will still stay with BIOS F2 and write long letters here.

Edit:
                        If you don't know how to flash BIOS...let me know.

Edit1:
                        Btw,
                        this is NOT Gigabyte issue.....it's INTEL issue and they release new CPU Microcode for this.
                        How is this for not posting "long letters"

Mirror's Edge error code 8016 - Answer HQ

A day later a gamer with the EA games, Mirrors Edge, has the exact 8016 error due to Securom
                        Now i can understand someone not being able to dedicate enough research into issues when there are probably a long list
                        of them that the engineers are working on with the new Z170 Gigabyte Motherboards.

But I am not a liar and I didnt become an Electrical Engineer in a dream. I tell the truth. The fact is as the days go by more
                        and more people will be complaining about the 8016 error and it does not have anything to do with the Skylake Processor.
                        It is because of Microsoft 10 new decision to elimate Securom and other DRMs from running.
                        You think you might be able to read that. i mean its just a few words and its clear english.
                        Just want a little respect here is all I ask PEACE

Crusial 1 TB for Games

Comment

but you have this problem, or you want to talk about this ?
                          If you have problem listen Stasio and flash with the latest BIOS release
                          Mobo: GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK: CPU: i5-4690K; Mem 2*4G Gskill F3-2400C10-4GZH: GPU Nvidia GTX980 all liquidcooled

Comment

Well. Just so you know... I flashed the BIOS on the GA-Z170xp-sli motherboard with the beta BIOS version. It works as written. Meaning that you will no longer get the 8016 error. Windows 10 only prevents using discs that have securom. Steam and Origin games reporting this 8016 error should work fine after the BIOS patch. I tested this with GTA IV which would not install before the patch. Does Fallout 3 use securom? I have that on a disc so I could check if that also works,

Comment

Originally posted by marko1 View Post
                              Well. Just so you know... I flashed the BIOS on the GA-Z170xp-sli motherboard with the beta BIOS version. It works as written. Meaning that you will no longer get the 8016 error. Windows 10 only prevents using discs that have securom. Steam and Origin games reporting this 8016 error should work fine after the BIOS patch. I tested this with GTA IV which would not install before the patch. Does Fallout 3 use securom? I have that on a disc so I could check if that also works,
                              Hi and thanks for telling me what happens. I have GTA 4 on Disc so that is definitely out. I really wish you were right but I have downloaded 3 games through origin . NO disc and they have Securom and that other DRM. Look at these games on Origins Store at the bottom of the page for each game. It tells you in Bold type what DRM the games have.
                              The ones that through a Download that dont work are:

Shift 2
                              BurnoutParadise Ultimate Box
                              Need For Speed Hot Pursuit (the newer game)

As much as I wish you were right believe me. I am so worn out from dealing with various issues. Like finding out some app in the Gigabyte App Center was Causing my Computer to hang when shutting down. Now that was a nightmare to get fixed and put back so I could use EasyTune. You see the EasyTuneEngine Service is actually a seperate setup file in the App Center installation Folder. I am still having some issues with the machine though.

Anyway Yea this is ONLY in Origin that I am talking about. All the games in Steam work. They dont have Securom or other DRM. At least all the games I have and I have a lot. I also rebought
                              Dead Space
                              in Steam and it worked.
                              It failed when I tried to download it through Origin. NO disc. Read the description in Dead Space in the Origin Store and you will see it too has DRM.

Because everything has to be perfect with this computer for me to be happy I have driven myself crazy. I am over it on the EA game situation and Origin. I have lots of games to play. Hell
                              I bought GRID 2 and it is a funner racing game than all of the ones I mentioned. I do miss BurnoutParadise.

Crusial 1 TB for Games

Comment

Working...
                              X