Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H can't shutdown

Hi,

First of all, I can't send it to RMA since I bought this MB in june 2012... wow it's been a while.
    I was not using the computer, my wife was and she basically let the computer always on during 2 years (which in that case worked all right)

So I have two problems with this computer (that are probably linked) :

1) I can't completely shutdown the computer. The cpu fan, usb port, power from HD and DVD, everything stay on. The only way to shutdown completely is to use the PSU switch at the back.
    2) Both backup bios and main bios are ok BUT sometimes at boot I end up in a UEFI boot loop with this screen.

Those 2 problems happen with different version of bios (I was using F14, now F16), my settings or the default optimized ones. I already cleared CMOS, removed the battery...
    I also try to unplug everything... keeping only CPU, 1 ram, no sata, no usb connected, using the power button on the MB directly... same result.

Unfortunately I don't have the hardware to test a new PSU or my current PSU (HX650) with a new MB...

What should I try next ? Is there a way to identify if it's the MB or the PSU without using any other hardware ?
    The PSU is probably not the cause of the boot loop...

Any thoughts ?

Thanks a lot

Re: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H can't shutdown

Originally posted by macx8664 View Post
    Hi,

First of all, I can't send it to RMA since I bought this MB in june 2012... wow it's been a while.
    I was not using the computer, my wife was and she basically let the computer always on during 2 years (which in that case worked all right)

So I have two problems with this computer (that are probably linked) :

1) I can't completely shutdown the computer. The cpu fan, usb port, power from HD and DVD, everything stay on. The only way to shutdown completely is to use the PSU switch at the back.
    2) Both backup bios and main bios are ok BUT sometimes at boot I end up in a UEFI boot loop with this screen.

Those 2 problems happen with different version of bios (I was using F14, now F16), my settings or the default optimized ones. I already cleared CMOS, removed the battery...
    I also try to unplug everything... keeping only CPU, 1 ram, no sata, no usb connected, using the power button on the MB directly... same result.

Unfortunately I don't have the hardware to test a new PSU or my current PSU (HX650) with a new MB...

What should I try next ? Is there a way to identify if it's the MB or the PSU without using any other hardware ?
    The PSU is probably not the cause of the boot loop...

Any thoughts ?

Thanks a lot
    OS and OS installation mode please
    Meanwhile, each time you reset CMOS with black push button on the board (or other means) you have to load optimized default settings, save, reboot, enter bios again, set other parameters (specially OS Type and UEFI settings), save reboot.
    Regards
    Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
    GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
    16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
    OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server
    Other interface: Pangolin QM2000.NET Lasers controller

Comment

Hi Teddybehr,

I followed your procedure to reset the CMOS but it didn't help.

So for the OS, this computer has been running mac os X 10.8 (hackintosh) but I didn't mention it because it should not be OS related because these days I'm testing it without any OS at all. I unplugged all the SATA connectors.

So I have only
      ATX 24-pin [20+4], EPS 8-pin and CPU fan connected. I even tried without USB keyboard and DVI but it's the same behavior. Even without any ram, as soon as I hit the switch on the back of my PSU, the CPU fan starts and the BIOS lights start blinking like that

Oh and just one precision about the boot loop :

I only get boot loop if shutdown and restart (but not always).
      But if it's running and I try to reset. It's all good I never get the boot loop.

Thanks,

Last edited by macx8664; 07-30-2015, 09:03 PM.

Comment

I just found out that I bought this MB 2 years, 11 months, 21 days ago and that the warranty is 3 years !
        Maybe I should grab my last chance to send it to RMA...

I'm gonna call Gigabyte support tomorrow !
        Better late than never ;)

Comment

I just found out that I bought this MB 2 years, 11 months, 21 days ago and that the warranty is 3 years !
          Maybe I should grab my last chance to send it to RMA...

I'm gonna call Gigabyte support tomorrow !
          Better late than never ;)
          thanx, Precisions are appreciated.
          Have you tried this one:
          MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

It s F16g (beta bios)
          Put the BIOS file on a non-bootable FAT32 formatted USB key.
          Flash with Q-Flash
          - Press the "end" key multiple times to enter q-flash on booting.
          - when the 3 seconds reboot count-down is finished after the successful flashing, the computer will shut down, remove quickly your USB key, the computer will reboot
          - The computer will boot to BIOS
          - Go to advanced settings
          - Load optimized settings (F7 I think)
          - Save, reboot, re-enter BIOS
          - Finalised your settings, save, reboot

That should to it
          If not, Gigabyte technical support should be able to help you
          regards
          Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
          GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
          16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
          OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server

Comment

Thank you Teddybehr !

Unfortunately it didn't help with my problems BUT I found something very interesting...
            You know that image I included in my previous post with the blinking lights.

When the computer is shutted down, those BIOS lights are blinking... and I just found out how to reproduce that boot loop !!!!
            So basically if the switch is on Backup BIOS and I hit the power button when the light is on main BIOS OR if the switch is on Main BIOS and I hit the power button when the light is on Backup BIOS -> I get the boot loop.
            I have to sync the blinking light with the switch and
            then it boots normally.

Do you think my problems could be related to the PSU ?

Comment

Thank you Teddybehr !

Unfortunately it didn't help with my problems BUT I found something very interesting...
              You know that image I included in my previous post with the blinking lights.

When the computer is shutted down, those BIOS lights are blinking... and I just found out how to reproduce that boot loop !!!!
              So basically if the switch is on Backup BIOS and I hit the power button when the light is on main BIOS OR if the switch is on Main BIOS and I hit the power button when the light is on Backup BIOS -> I get the boot loop.
              I have to sync the blinking light with the switch and
              then it boots normally.

Do you think my problems could be related to the PSU ?

Strange indeed.
              Have you tried settings manually memory settings (no XMP)? or with only 1 stick of memory?
              Setting "OS type" to "other OS", disable secure boot and enable CSM support
              This problem seems to be very common. There is many post on TT forum (or hackintosh forums) about that. Some report using BIOS F15q did it. For other it was setting the clock to 100.1, or the PSU was faulty, for other the board.
              I guess it will be a trial/error scenario.
              Maybe Stasio or Acebmxer or Wazza or Profjim will check your post and have better and faster solution.
              Contact Gigabyte support
              I will continue to scan for solution and follow the post.
              Regards
              Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-30-2015, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Not 100% sure, but try this:
                Put only 1 stick of RAM in DDR3_1 slot (furthest away from CPU), and try to enter BIOS.
                Make sure the RAM frequency matches the spec of your (slowest) RAM stick.
                Also make sure the timings of A channel and B channel match the spec of your (slowest) RAM stick.
                Frequency should be somewhere like x16 (1600MHz).
                Timings (on both channels) should be 9-9-9-24, 1T or 2T.

Press F10 to Save changes, and reboot.
                If your computer can boot normally with that 1 stick, then shutdown completely (switch off from power supply), and add another matching RAM stick in DDR3_2 slot (the 2nd away from the CPU).
                Now the 2 RAM sticks will work in Dual Channel mode.
                If you have 2 more RAM sticks, then populate the remaining slots. Just make sure that each set are matched. Best to have all 4 matched.
                Hope that helps.
                Last edited by ericgl; 08-13-2015, 03:03 AM.
                GA-Z77X-UD5H rev. 1.0
                BIOS F16c mod with UBU 1.37
                Intel MEI FW v8.1.65.1586 + MEI driver v11.0.0.1166

2x 4GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 @ 1632MHz, 9-9-9-24-1T, 1.65V, Dual channel +

2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 @ 1632MHz, 9-9-9-24-1T, 1.65V, Dual channel (24GB total)

i5-3570K @ 4.5GHz @ 4 Cores (BCLK 102.26MHz, x44 multiplier) - air cooled.
                Max Intel XTU Score: 780
                Intel 520 120GB SSD - Win7 Pro SP1 x64 en-US
                Antec VP450P 450W PSU (4+4 power for CPU)
                1x LG IPS236 23" LCD monitors (DVI) running at 1920x1080.
                1x Dell U2713H 27" LCD monitor (miniDP) running at 2560x1440.

Comment

I would be testing a different power supply to see if it would fix the shutdown problem.
                  As far as the boot loop, I gave up trying to fix the issue. My GA-Z77X-UD5H has been doing it since I bought it nearly 3 years ago. I've been repairing/working with computers since 1968 and I've spent a lot of time on this issue but I've never found a permanent fix. Motherboard replacement would likely be the solution, but I've put up with the boot loop which happens 3 or 4 times a month, so I didn't bother. (My computer gets shutdown 2 or 3 times a day) Other than the occasional boot loop this has been a good board.

Comment

Working...
                  X