Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new motherboard setup not powering up and I unable to contact tech support

Hi
    I am putting a new system together. I have a z97x-ud7 th motherboard, a intel i7-790k and a corsair rm-750 power supply. I have connected the cpu fan, HDMI, the 24 pin (connector 2) and the atx_12v_2x4(connector 1) to test it before bolting everything together. No memory is inserted. No card are in the system. This is all I had to have on older systems. When I press the on-board power switch the CPU fans starts then I see a flash of the m bios light and then all shut down with just the on-board power switch still glowing. Is this normal , I expected at least to see the cpu fan continue to spin. I have double check the cpu and heatsink/fan and they look okay. Have I missed something else which has to be connected? A jumper still lingering around that is necessary? Or am I just being paranoid? I can't use tech support as I can't answer all the required questions.

Re: new motherboard setup not powering up and I unable to contact tech support

Originally posted by mgj View Post
    Hi
    I am putting a new system together. I have a z97x-ud7 th motherboard, a intel i7-790k and a corsair rm-750 power supply. I have connected the cpu fan, HDMI, the 24 pin (connector 2) and the atx_12v_2x4(connector 1) to test it before bolting everything together. No memory is inserted. No card are in the system. This is all I had to have on older systems. When I press the on-board power switch the CPU fans starts then I see a flash of the m bios light and then all shut down with just the on-board power switch still glowing. Is this normal , I expected at least to see the cpu fan continue to spin. I have double check the cpu and heatsink/fan and they look okay. Have I missed something else which has to be connected? A jumper still lingering around that is necessary? Or am I just being paranoid? I can't use tech support as I can't answer all the required questions.
    What are the debugging codes (the last or all)?
    (memory sticks, at least one, will be very helpful to ensure a partial boot)
    Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-17-2015, 04:40 PM.
    Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
    GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
    16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
    OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server
    Other interface: Pangolin QM2000.NET Lasers controller

Comment

Nothing appears on the two led digits which is what I presume you are talking about. I put in one stick of crucial ballistix tactical memory(first slot) and tried it but still the same. (ten minutes later and editing my own post)>> I just tried filling both grey slots but the results is the same. Just to be clear everything here is brand new, never powered on before.
      Last edited by mgj; 07-17-2015, 04:59 AM.

Comment

A CPU + one memory stick should be enough.
        The fact the debug LEDs do not light up is a bit suspicious.
        Make sure the 24pins and 8(2x4)pins power connectors are locked.

Otherwise, take off the CPU (carefully) ad inspect the CPU socket for bent pins.
        Clear macro picture with good light can make the task easier.

Comment

Well,
          There is no bendable pins in CPU anymore but you can always make sure everything is clean and there is no thermal paste where it shouldn't. (pins on the top of the processor)
          That being said I had trouble once one with a modular PSU. The connection of the cable on the PSU side where not always working. I slight move of the ATX (24 pin) and CPU (atx_12v_2x4) cable and a no contact happened. Since your yellow light is on. I would look at the (CPU) atx_12v_2x4 cable especially.
          Is your board seated on the case? You should to ensure grounding or no shorts. Basically, follow the troubleshooting procedure of your manual at page 115 (or around)

Hope it helps.
          Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
          GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
          16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
          OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybehr View Post
            Well,
            There is no bendable pins in CPU anymore
            Eh? Did I say CPU?
            There are 1150 bendable pins in the CPU socket

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
              Eh? Did I say CPU?
              There are 1150 bendable pins in the CPU socket
              My bad. Didn't mean to offend you.
              Since I worked with computers from trs-80, apple ii to HP Superdome 2 and Massive Parallel I am old enough to remember the PGA package.
              So yes you're right. It's always a good thing to check "socket/CPU contacts" in this case
              Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-17-2015, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X