[HELP] Gigabyte X99 SOC Force (F7a) w/ 5820k gpu only MAX at PCIe x8 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HELP] Gigabyte X99 SOC Force (F7a) w/ 5820k gpu only MAX at PCIe x8 3.0

I have a Gigabyte X99 SOC Force with the latest BIOS (F7a), Intel Core i7 5820k (28 PCIe Lanes), R9 290 with Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV and a PCIe x1 wifi.

The problem is my video card has a tall back plate which prevents me from installing it in PCIE_1 slot to get PCIe x16 3.0

I tried PCIE_4 and PCIE_2 slot but they only give me max PCIe x8 3.0 (note my PCIe wifi is installed on the x1 slot).

I am using a BenQ XL2420z which is a 1920x1080 with 144Hz refresh rate and the problem is my graphics card is performs poorly via PCIe x8 3.0

I did testing with my GPU on PCIE_1 slot (x16 3.0) and under many different games it was able to maintain a solid 144FPS without any dips but I had to remove my backplate to be able to fit it on PCIE_1 slot which resulted in my VRM's getting very hot (90c+).

If I put my GPU on PCIE_4 or PCIE_2 slot so I can have my GPU backplate my FPS on the exact same games never even reach 144FPS and it only hovers between 95~130FPS.

I am 100% sure it is not driver related as I completely remove any traces of the driver via using AMD uninstaller in control panel then use the latest version of DDU under safe mode to completely clean everything.

I need to run my GPU at PCIe x16 3.0 on either PCIE_4 or PCIE_2 slot if there is any way.

edit:

I also tried using the onboard dip switch for PCIE to turn off all the unused slot but it didn't make any difference.
    Last edited by rcarlos243; 06-19-2015, 04:17 AM.

Re: [HELP] Gigabyte X99 SOC Force (F7a) w/ 5820k gpu only MAX at PCIe x8 3.0

* When an i7-5820K CPU is installed, the PCIE_2 slot operates at up to x8 mode
    and the PCIE_3 operates at up to x4 mode.
    So what you asking for, adding PCIe lanes to your CPU or re-circuit the board?
    Your problem is the back plate not the board so you should really ask Arctic about it, and/or check that your card is compatible with the card.

Comment

Re: [HELP] Gigabyte X99 SOC Force (F7a) w/ 5820k gpu only MAX at PCIe x8 3.0

i7 - 5820k on an x99 SoC-force running Gen 3.0 PCIe slots with only one card should never really be a bottle neck. That cpu supports somewhere in the region of 18++ lanes. So the issue could be putting the card in the wrong lane, or maybe issues with ddr4 ram settings. Since you have the latest bios installed we can temporarily discount that.

This I now for sure, cause I've seen it on a system, the 2-way SLI configuration using Core i7 5930K runs on PCIE_1 and PCIE_2. That is both cards run at x16 mode. I think the other slots run at x8 mode when populated. And if running all 4 PCIE slots you maybe running at x16, x8, x8 and x8 modes with a more powerful cpu. From your diagram provided, I'll say your safe bets will be the PCIE_1 or (PCIE_2 maybe yes, maybe no) slots to get x16 mode when running a single graphics mode.

As to why you do not get full x16 mode on the PCIE_2 slot when you move the card there might be a pch configuration in combo with an i7-5820k or something similar. In a 3-way SLI as shown in the diagram with an i7-5820k , you'll likely get a combo like x16mode, x8mode, and x4 mode. Do you have any of the other lanes populated with something?

You can ask email gigabyte support telling them you are using the i7-5820k and they will tell you what bandwidth you'll get on any of the lanes outside of the first lane which will be x16 mode. it is part of the design of the x-99 boards.

My opinion is that the i7- 5820k may be defaulting the PCIE_2 slot to x8 mode in your case. This is what you should find out.
      Last edited by TicTacToe; 06-20-2015, 06:34 AM.
      i7 8700k - z370 Asus Rog maximus 10 hero(wifi) (soho)
      G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB
      Corsair PSU, 1
      080Ti EVGA
      960 Samsung Evo , 2 WD Black Storage.
      Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) . Gigabyte x399 - Gaming 7 Threadripper 1950x (workstation)

Comment

Working...
      X