Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5: BSODs after OC & other random freezes/hangs

Howdy all,
    New to Gigabyte here; have always been an ASUS guy but the Z97MX-Gaming 5 mobo was exactly what I wanted (er, and like 100 bucks cheaper than ASUS' Gene VII). Anyway, I am just playing around with tweaking stuff before I install anything on my new rig. Tried the "Easy Tune" in the App Center just to see how it worked. Went with the Auto Tune option and it brought my i7-4790K up to 4.6. All fine and dandy until I try to install any program, and I get a BSOD 0x00000124 error every time. I figured it was the OC, so I Easy Tuned it down to "light" 4.5 lol. Still the same BSOD. No BSOD at stock, though. Anyone have this mobo have any OC experience with it? I'm not looking for some record breaking OC, just a bit of a boost. Can ya get a stable air-cooled OC or am I better off leaving it stock? Also trying to rule out that I may have got a dud here... Should also note two other strange happenings. Upon cold boot, system hangs for about 30 sec before displaying Gigabyte BIOS logo. And, whenever I plug a USB 3.0 device in, the system becomes unresponsive for 10 sec or so. So I guess it's two questions. Think I have a bad one? And what is a realistic OC in y'alls experience?

Thanks-
    Dave

Re: GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5: BSODs after OC & other random freezes/hangs

124 may most likely be vcore, but difficult to tell without other settings.
    What is vcore, vring (default and current) ring ratio and dram frequency?

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
      124 may most likely be vcore, but difficult to tell without other settings.
      What is vcore, vring (default and current) ring ratio and dram frequency?
      Will get that for you tomorrow... Right now I can't even get past the BIOS logo screen! So frustrating.

Comment

Best OC manually rather with EasyTune.
        Even as it is without any OC this CPU can take anything you throw at it really.
        If you can just boost all cores to max turbo it would be more then enough.

Comment

Best OC manually rather with EasyTune.
          Even as it is without any OC this CPU can take anything you throw at it really.
          If you can just boost all cores to max turbo it would be more then enough.
          I totally agree, but like I said I was just playing around with the utilities. At this point, this one has so many other issues, I'm not going to bother troubleshoot the BSOD. I ordered a replacement and returning this one via RMA to NewEgg. If the new one has the same issue I'll post the settings. Thx all.

Comment

Alright I got the replacement motherboard and sent the defective one back. I have everything running at stock clocks now, and weird stuff is happening still:

-> From a cold boot, it takes 20+ seconds before even the logo screen shows up. Once the logo screen shows up, it's a quick boot-up as is normal for a SSD.
            -> Several programs (.exe files) would not run - the Windows Explorer window just shows the green bar as if it's working, but nothing happens. However, after a reboot, the programs install no problem. (The programs in question range from Revo Uninstaller to HW Monitor)
            -> Shutting down takes several minutes. I had to actually do a hardware button shut down because it took so long one time.

So... thoughts? I know this could really be anything. Could be another bad mobo? Could be bad memory. Could be a bad SSD. Could be an issue with the Windows 7 install. Anyone have any ideas to point me in the right direction? I will add that the components all passed stress tests and benchmarks without a hitch.

Thanks for any ideas. :-|

Comment

Try clearing CMOS (battery out + pins short for 10+ minutes)
              What is BIOS version?
              I'd start running Memtest86(no hammer test) or Memtest86+ for a couple of loops to begin with, this may indicate memory or memory related issues if any.
              Then fresh windows installation.

Comment

Try clearing CMOS (battery out + pins short for 10+ minutes)
                What is BIOS version?
                I'd start running Memtest86(no hammer test) or Memtest86+ for a couple of loops to begin with, this may indicate memory or memory related issues if any.
                Then fresh windows installation.
                BIOS is F5, which I believe is the latest. Running Memtest86 as we speak. Thanks.

Comment

I ran MemTest86 and had 0 faults.
                  I cleared the CMOS and removed battery for 10 min. Reset BIOS to optimized settings.
                  Weird things still happening.
                  Going to try a fresh Win 7 install now (this will be my 3rd fresh install).
                  Any other suggestions appreciated.

I was thinking too, this is the first time in about a dozen PC builds I've ever had an issue like this, so I guess I'm lucky :-)

Comment

This is getting good now. I shut it down and moved it back to my desk area to get ready to re-install Windows. Turned it on, now the fans all just spin at full speed. Nothing happens, it just stays doing that. Cleared CMOS again, no luck. Is this bricked? WTF lol

Comment

Originally posted by shootfire View Post
                      I ran MemTest86 and had 0 faults.
                      I cleared the CMOS and removed battery for 10 min. Reset BIOS to optimized settings.
                      Weird things still happening.
                      Which thing, the 124 BSOD?

Originally posted by shootfire View Post
                      This is getting good now. I shut it down and moved it back to my desk area to get ready to re-install Windows. Turned it on, now the fans all just spin at full speed. Nothing happens, it just stays doing that. Cleared CMOS again, no luck. Is this bricked? WTF lol
                      Maybe it is best to take it all out, start with bare bone (CPU+RAM only) and see how goes.

Comment

Sorry, should have specified - no BSOD this time, but several .exe files hanging; boot process takes 22 sec before the logo appears every time; Windows shut-down screen hangs, have to manually shut off about 50% of the time. I just ordered a Asus ROG Maximus Gene VII, will try that when it comes in. I think for now my mobo is fried anyway, due to the fans running at full speed and nothing else happening.

Comment

Working...
                        X