Quiet CPU cooler for MA785GPMT-UD2H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiet CPU cooler for MA785GPMT-UD2H

Hi. I'm looking to replace the standard AMD CPU cooler with a low-noise one, but I'm confused about dimensions, and what coolers would fit on the motherboard.

I have an AMD Phenom II X3 720 CPU on a Gigabyte GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H motherboard. The existing cooler has a fan that appears to be about 72mm square. Most of the coolers I've looked at have larger fans, which makes me worry that they wouldn't fit. Height is no problem... I've got several inches of extra height. My worry is that the RAM is less than an inch from the edge of the existing fan, so a bigger fan would need to have enough height to clear the RAM.

The CPU is running normally, without overclocking. I don't need the ultimate in quiet, and I'd like to not have to worry about BIOS issues with slowly rotating fans. My preference is to keep the price under $40. Can anyone suggest a cooler that they know would fit?

Thanks

Re: Quiet CPU cooler for MA785GPMT-UD2H

Originally posted by wendiwoman View Post
    Hi. I'm looking to replace the standard AMD CPU cooler with a low-noise one, but I'm confused about dimensions, and what coolers would fit on the motherboard.

I have an AMD Phenom II X3 720 CPU on a Gigabyte GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H motherboard. The existing cooler has a fan that appears to be about 72mm square. Most of the coolers I've looked at have larger fans, which makes me worry that they wouldn't fit. Height is no problem... I've got several inches of extra height. My worry is that the RAM is less than an inch from the edge of the existing fan, so a bigger fan would need to have enough height to clear the RAM.

The CPU is running normally, without overclocking. I don't need the ultimate in quiet, and I'd like to not have to worry about BIOS issues with slowly rotating fans. My preference is to keep the price under $40. Can anyone suggest a cooler that they know would fit?

Thanks
    Looks like no one experienced with that board, maybe.
    I don't know anything about it either, but here's a cpu cooler that's fairly popular and cheap that doesn't take up too much room. Perhaps you could investigate it:
    Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com

As long as there is enough vertical clearance in your case and side clearance for the RAM it should be OK.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

Re: Quiet CPU cooler for MA785GPMT-UD2H

The vertical clearance mentioned is an important factor. The idea in installing the raised(copper) heatsink fin types is to make sure you have the clearance from the board to the side panel. I usually install it without the fan attached to the heatsink first. Then fit the fan on to adjust for any clearance off the ram sticks( the side clearance mentioned above).

More important if your ram sticks have heat shields or armour on them, they take up a bit more space.

The Cool Master Hyper TX3(92mm fans) will likely work for your AM3 socket board. IMO, Cool Master is some of the better air cooling solutions which are reasonably priced. Quieter, better ones exist like the Noctuas but are bit expensive short of going for a water cooling system( can be very expensive).

Newegg is a good place to start, I do get a lot of my computer components from them. Unless of course in Carlifornia they charge for tax, you could try for a similar product with Amazon or Fry's.
      i7 8700k - z370 Asus Rog maximus 10 hero(wifi) (soho)
      G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB
      Corsair PSU, 1
      080Ti EVGA
      960 Samsung Evo , 2 WD Black Storage.
      Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) . Gigabyte x399 - Gaming 7 Threadripper 1950x (workstation)

Comment

Working...
      X