GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK (rev. 1.1) Not posting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK (rev. 1.1) Not posting

I have been struggling with this for a few days and am in need of assistance. I am having trouble with the computer even posting and never actually get to the BIOS. I have tried with two different PSU's, with memory, with one stick, and with no memory. I am using the on board video and not a separate video card (yet). It also does the same thing both with and without the CPU installed. Each time, the motherboard powers on and the cpu fan spins, but it never does anything after that. With the PC speaker installed, it never makes a sound. I tried resetting the CMOS by using a jumper on the pins, as well as removing the battery. I even tried switching to the secondary BIOS, but with that it just powers on and off every 5 seconds or so.

Is there anything that I can do? I do have a newer CPU (i7-4790k) and know that only newer versions of the BIOS supports it, but I can't even get anywhere to flash the BIOS. This is outside of any case so that isn't a problem and I also do not see any code being displayed on the motherboard.

Thanks!

Re: GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK (rev. 1.1) Not posting

Check CPU socket pins, and prepare for RMA, CPU or MB, your call.

Comment

This is my second motherboard already (the first was completely DOA) so it might be time for a different CPU. I was thinking I might get the cheapest supported CPU ($50) just to see if it was the CPU.

Comment

Definitely sounds to me like either the cpu or the socket. I would pull the cpu and carefully inspect the socket pins...I bought a new Gigabyte board 2 years ago with bent pins right from Newegg.
        If you have a digital camera, pull the cpu and take several macro pics of the socket up close. This will help you eliminate bent pins.
        Good luck.
        Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
        Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
        PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
        Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
        Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
        HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
        SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

Originally posted by duncanator View Post
          This is my second motherboard already (the first was completely DOA) so it might be time for a different CPU. I was thinking I might get the cheapest supported CPU ($50) just to see if it was the CPU.
          You can get one under $40, but how would you know that CPU is ok?

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
            You can get one under $40, but how would you know that CPU is ok?
            I suppose that if the other CPU didn't work then I can assume that the other CPU is ok. It's also the cheapest thing to try. I have not tried new RAM, but I wouldn't think that would cause this problem and rather cause an error on POST.

Comment

tried a long cmos clear? leave cmos battery out for 30 minutes put back in and try

for it to post successfully you'll need cpu/cooler installed,one stick of ram,psu connected

if its still doing it,carefully inspect the cpu socket for any bent pins,post some close up pics of the pins/socket if you can
              Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
              Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
              Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
              Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
              1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
              1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
              Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
              Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
              K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
              L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
              Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
              http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
              Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I am having this exact same problem - same board, same CPU. I have a monitor plugged into the HDMI and see a flashing underscore in the upper left of the screen. I'm on my second motherboard and second chip. As far as I can tell, no bent pins. Did this ever get resolved for this user?

Comment

Have you tried booting with no SATA drives connected ??
                  i7 8700k - z370 Asus Rog maximus 10 hero(wifi) (soho)
                  G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB
                  Corsair PSU, 1
                  080Ti EVGA
                  960 Samsung Evo , 2 WD Black Storage.
                  Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) . Gigabyte x399 - Gaming 7 Threadripper 1950x (workstation)

Comment

Originally posted by TicTacToe View Post
                    Have you tried booting with no SATA drives connected ??
                    I did try that - tried it with nothing but memory attached using HDMI through on board video; no drives, no USB, no other peripherals.

I was able to get it up and running, but there is definitely something wrong. I started looking hard at the video as the source of the problem. LED codes seemed normal, telling me "BIOS setup started" upon system startup, despite video not showing it. Hitting DEL on keyboard went to another code that seemed perfectly normal.

On a whim, I reinstalled my video card and plugged HDMI into that and it came up. I checked BIOS and on-board video was enabled.

The machine is up and running now, but something is amiss if on board video failed on both motherboards.

Comment

I'll assume that you tried the clear cmos suggested above. Anyway, what is the version of the bios you are running. Have you thought of updating to a higher bios version? Please note the instructions on new Bios upgrade if you choose to do that. I believe it can't be reversed the normal way, if I do recall correctly. So you might want to set the system to single bios mode and update only the main bios.
                      Did you test the DVI ports and VGA ports too?? In the bios, is the integrated video the first choice and the discrete card second ? Since you have video displaying on the discrete have you checked again to see if integrated works now alongside?

I'm leaning towards a bios issue, did you try booting with the back up bios alone ?? I think these boards ship with an F6 Bios right??
                      Last edited by TicTacToe; 06-03-2015, 10:51 AM.
                      i7 8700k - z370 Asus Rog maximus 10 hero(wifi) (soho)
                      G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB
                      Corsair PSU, 1
                      080Ti EVGA
                      960 Samsung Evo , 2 WD Black Storage.
                      Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) . Gigabyte x399 - Gaming 7 Threadripper 1950x (workstation)

Comment

Originally posted by TicTacToe View Post
                        I'll assume that you tried the clear cmos suggested above. Anyway, what is the version of the bios you are running. Have you thought of updating to a higher bios version? Please note the instructions on new Bios upgrade if you choose to do that. I believe it can't be reversed the normal way, if I do recall correctly. So you might want to set the system to single bios mode and update only the main bios.
                        Did you test the DVI ports and VGA ports too?? In the bios, is the integrated video the first choice and the discrete card second ? Since you have video displaying on the discrete have you checked again to see if integrated works now alongside?

I'm leaning towards a bios issue, did you try booting with the back up bios alone ?? I think these boards ship with an F6 Bios right??
                        I did clear CMOS. Board is 1.1, but not certain of BIOS version. I was unable to test DVI and VGA due to a lack of cables, but was getting ready to do so when I plugged the video card back in and got it running.

I had planned all along to use a separate graphics card, so I may not try to fix the on board. Mainly irritated I spent days troubleshooting this to no avail and wanted to update this thread should anyone else encounter the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Fire Me Boy! View Post
                          I did clear CMOS. Board is 1.1, but not certain of BIOS version. I was unable to test DVI and VGA due to a lack of cables, but was getting ready to do so when I plugged the video card back in and got it running.

I had planned all along to use a separate graphics card, so I may not try to fix the on board. Mainly irritated I spent days troubleshooting this to no avail and wanted to update this thread should anyone else encounter the problem.

I have a very similar problem on a Gigabyte X99 board. I think this may be a serious and severe design flaw with Gigabyte's board. The symptoms you describe are identical to ones I experienced with my X99 board. I think this is related to PCI enumeration flaws in the Gigabyte motherboard design and I had to go through the same process to get my board running (although I recovered only partially, it still sometimes doesn't want to boot and goes into never never land when I turn it on).

Sounds very similar to what I experienced, and if it is a motherboard design flaw, not sure what to say. I believe this is not an individual motherboard problem, but rather either a design flaw or a large batch of their motherboards when built in the factory, get screwed up somehow. If you check around, you'll see a lot of folks with recent Gigabyte motherboards have the same problem: failure to post, flashing cursor....etc.....

Comment

Working...
                          X