• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z87X-D3H (rev. 1.x) - Assistance Required

Re: GA-Z87X-D3H (rev. 1.x) - Assistance Required

I guess I stumped people :)

Comment

What exactly are you trying to resolve jjspill16 ? The z87x motherboards all have dual bios. You can restore a bios from the backup if one is corrupted or has issues that wreck havoc on your system. Anyway, always be careful about bios upgrades because of obvious inherent risks. There is a thread in the boards that discusses bios recovery at length.

Firstly, did you install the Os, windows 8.1 you mentioned onto the USB stick and made the stick bootable? The install USB stick should be bootable. Microsoft has a usb tool for that. Rufus is a helpful tool as well. Did you allow proper boot options for USB in Bios ?? Are you legacy or Uefi booting? USing MBR formatted or GPT ??? Windows 8.1 is more sensitive to UEFI or MBR setting installs than the others.

You mentioned that on Windows 7 install the resolution went horribly wrong? Is this the resolution on the HDTV screen or some other monitor from your bios page? If on the HDTV, do you think the bios is having difficulty in recognizing what type of resolutions your tv carries??
      I'm not exactly sure what multiboot you are talking about. Is it one for usb, multiboot tool for windows os installs ?, there is even a multi boot tool for Osx installs.

I would first try to recover my original Bios( since F9 is throwing up issues for you)... and then do a clean windows install on my SSD without any multiboot partitions. Probably even unplug all the other hdd drives before doing the clean install with the SSD but that may not be necessary. Anyway, it seems your issues are coming from the Bios from what you describe so that maybe what you should tackle first. See if you could troubleshoot and recover that first. And remember, after bios changes always advisable to choose optimized defaults and if the system is stable, you go ahead and tweak changes to the settings.
      Last edited by TicTacToe; 02-20-2015, 09:58 AM.
      i7 8700k - z370 Asus Rog maximus 10 hero(wifi) (soho)
      G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB
      Corsair PSU, 1
      080Ti EVGA
      960 Samsung Evo , 2 WD Black Storage.
      Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) . Gigabyte x399 - Gaming 7 Threadripper 1950x (workstation)

Comment

First, an HDMI cable is a standard PC cable, and offers higher resolution and features not available on DVI or VGA cables. The video interface is digital, and HDMI outputs are found on any decent video card, and HDMI inputs are standard on most monitors.

So you've never used this TV as a monitor before? Perhaps you have, but now using Windows 8, which has a native high resolution video driver that can be used by the onboard graphics, is causing the display issue you have. Windows 7 does not have a native high resolution video driver for the onboard graphics, so the default display of a new Win 7 installation is very low resolution, which apparently your TV could handle fine.

Using a TV as a monitor is not a "normal" PC device. Yes, some people use TVs as monitors and they work fine. But all TVs don't work well as PC monitors. The resolutions below 1920 x 1080 on some TVs, particularly smaller TVs like ~32" in size that are at best 720, do not use all the same resolutions provided by PC video sources. Also, it seems some if not most TVs do not communicate their standard resolution to the PC's video source, which is what causes the strange display you described.

Nvidia based video chip software lists TV resolutions separately from PC monitor resolutions, and the Intel graphics driver software does that too. You need to set the TV's resolution in the Intel graphics configuration software before you will get a decent display. Meaning don't try to go into the BIOS before you set an appropriate resolution. When in doubt, choose a lower resolution, that will at least display more normally. Hopefully the Intel video software will detect the resolutions of your TV, and once set in the software, will not be a further problem.

I suppose it is possible that your HDMI cable is old and of a very early HDMI version, but it should be at least video signal compatible. If you have another HDMI cable, try it but don't expect a fix, the resolution must be set correctly.

Your booting problem is not related to the display. Given all the possibilities and methods of creating Windows installation media, and then using it, the amount of detail you provided does not tell us enough to determine what went wrong. The question about the USB installation media is a good one, how did you create it?

Comment

Working...
        X