Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running 8 GB of RAMs with EP45-DS3R

Hey guys. Long time no see.

I have had 2x2GB OCZ Platinum CL5 1066 DDR2 RAMs for years and I used it @ 1066MHz 5-5-5-15 timings without manual overvolting. It supposed to work at 2.3v at that settings according to the sticker on it but I can run it without setting it to 2.3v. IIRC it ran at 1.8 or 2.0v for most of the time.

Anyway I bought 2x2GB Kingston CL5 1066 RAMs (KHX8500D2K2/4G) a few months ago and I can't possibly use them together. The best I could do was to use 3 of them. When I use 4 sticks for most of the time I can't boot or I constantly get BSOD after 15 mins. I tried manually 2.2v and 2.3v with these (not sure how much I tried 2.3v as I am reluctant to go above 2.2v even tough all RAMs supposed to run at it) and it didn't help.

Right now I have only Kingston RAMs on my PC at 2.2v and I get BSODs very rarely and computer freezes from time to time.

As I got sick of working on them and I want to use my computer I don't try 3 or 4 sticks together anymore. Freezings seem to vary with no clear indication, be it on desktop or after playing a few hours of games.

At first when I bought these RAMs I thought they were faulty and thought that for a while because my OCZ RAMs never gave me problems. But some time ago I tested Kingston RAMs (at 800MHz) with Memtest86+ for 24 hours and it didn't show a single error. After thinking they're okay for a while I started to think if it could still be faulty and Memtest86+ didn't show it because I tested it at low settings? Last night I tested Kingston RAMs at 1066MHz @ 5-5-5-15 timings with 2.2v for 7 hours, still no single error.

While I should have a strong belief Kingston RAMs aren't faulty, I still feel somewhat doubtful and this gives me discomfort. As you can imagine they are used hardware and there is little I can do in case of a problem. Can you maybe comfort me by saying that they're perfectly okay? (lol)

Also, sometimes I get weird, low RAM utilization with Kingston RAMs, but I am never sure if those are really weird... but I don't remember having such feeling when using my OCZ RAMs. I was playing Metro: Last Light yesterday and the game was only using 150MB physical RAM while using about 800MB virtual RAM. I'm not sure if this is the norm for this game but it certainly feels weird. Is it possible that RAMs have faults and Windows tries to avoid it by not using too much RAM? This is one of the main reasons I still have doubts about these RAMs. I launched Ghost Recon: Future Soldier just to try, and it only used 500 MB of physical RAM. Then I tried one of the most demanding game installed on my PC, Medal of Honor: Warfighter, it used around 1 GB of physical RAM and I tried it for a few minutes then went on desktop to see what's going on and I couldn't return to the game but there were no freezing or crash. This can be hardware related or it can be just game acting weird. I'm not sure. But it's certainly suspicious. So what do you think about this weird situation?

I am willing to try setting combinations for 4 sticks 8 GB if you have some good idea but
    it will give me hard time using the computer (and may also delay detecting what I described above in case there's anything) so I'm more inclined to try Kingston RAMs alone and see if it's completely okay but it takes time to be sure (Which is the reason why this took so much time, along with my laziness).

Btw, my CPU is Q9400 running at 3.2GHz. But I have been using it overclocked for years, no any kind of issue there. And my GPU is MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk and my OS is Windows 8, in case you need to know.

Sorry for long post. Thanks for reading.

Re: Running 8 GB of RAMs with EP45-DS3R

Trying to use mixed memory brands or models is iffy at best.
    Sometimes it will work, but more often than not it won't work.

Your problem might be related to the MCH Core setting.
    If the setting is too high or too low your system won't boot or it might not be stable.
    Try setting MCH Core = 1.20 - 1.24.

Try setting your memory using the 3.20B memory multiplier with primary memory timing to 5-5-5-18 using 2.00 volts with no cpu overclock.
    Install one kit in memory slots #1 and #3 and the other kit in slots #2 and #4.

Check out my basic bios recommendations in http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post295784, post #5.

I've been using a 4 x 2GB setup for several years with two Kingston 1066MHz HyperX T1 kits.
    From the Kingston datasheet, it looks like the only difference with my kits is that my memory has the 60mm tall memory heat spreaders.

Which bios version are you running?
    F11e is the latest bios version for your EP45-DS3R.

Running each of the Prime95 stress tests for 6 - 8 hours is the best and most thorough test.
    The Prime95 Blend and Large FFT tests will probably give you the most trouble.
    The Small FFT test does not test your memory.
    Once your system is stable with stock cpu settings, you can then overclock your system in steps but you will need to rerun the Prime95 tests.

You should post your full bios settings and include detailed information about any errors, freezes or BSOD's.
    You should also provide a cropped screen-shot similar to the example at the end of this post.
    The screen-shot should include:
    • Memset using the SPD and ">>" tabs
    • cpu-z CPU and Mainboard screens (several instances can be run at the same time)
    • EasyTune6 --> TUNER tab --> ADVANCE tab --> VOLTAGE tab (only the Voltage tab is needed)

You can download EasyTune 6 for your motherboard from GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-EP45-DS3R (rev. 1.0)

When you run EasyTune6, a small ET6 icon will appear in your task bar after ~10 - 15 seconds.
    Right click on the icon, click on Show and then click on the Advance tab followed by the Voltage tab.
    I only run ET6 when create a screen-shot or if I want to confirm the applied voltage settings.

To post your full bios settings, copy and paste the bios template into Notepad or any plain text editor where you will then fill in the settings exactly as they appear in your bios. Enter N/A for any settings that don't appear in your bios.

Code:
    Motherboard: Model:  Rev#:  Bios Version:
    Cpu: Model
    Ram: Brand, Model/Part#, Link to your ram's specs
    Power Supply Unit: Brand, Model#, Wattage

Default settings for new setups that are not overclocked.

note: replace all ?? with the value displayed in your bios.
    ----> Replace "Auto" with manually set values.

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster -------- : [Auto] 
    CPU Clock Ratio ---------------- : [##]
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio ----------- : [0.0] 
    CPU Frequency -------------- : ####
    Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control --------- : [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ------- : [Mhz]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) ---- : [Auto] 
    C.I.A.2 ------------------------ : [Disabled]
    Advanced Clock Control ------- [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive ---------------- : ??? 
    PCI Express Clock Drive -------- : ???
    CPU Clock Skew (ps) ------------ : ???
    MCH Clock Skew (ps) ------------ : ???
    DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance ------------ : [Turbo] 
    Extreme Memory Profile - (XMP) - : [Disabled] 
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch --------- : [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ------- : [Auto]
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) --------- : [Auto]
    DRAM Timing Selectable --------- : [Auto] 
    Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time ------- ?? ---- : [Auto]
    tRCD  ------------------ ?? ---- : [Auto]
    tRP -------------------- ?? ---- : [Auto]
    tRAS  ------------------ ?? ---- : [Auto]
    Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD  ------------------ ?? ---- : [Auto]
    tWTR  ------------------ ?? ---- : [Auto]
    tWR -------------------- ?? ---- : [Auto]
    tRFC  ------------------ ?? ---- : [Auto]
    tRTP  ------------------ ?? ---- : [Auto]
    Command Rate (CMD) ------------- : [Auto] 
    Channel A Timing Settings -- {Press Enter to change settings}
    Static tRead Value ------------- : [Auto]
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment ---------- : [Auto] 
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment ---------- : [Auto]
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment ---------- : [Auto]
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment ---------- : [Auto]
    Trd2rd(Different Rank) --------- : [Auto]
    Twr2wr(Different Rank) --------- : [Auto]
    Twr2rd(Different Rank) --------- : [Auto]
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank) --------- : [Auto]
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control ------- : [Auto]  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control ------- : [Auto]  ps
    Channel B Timing Settings -- {Press Enter to change settings}
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control ------- : [Auto]  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control ------- : [Auto]  ps
    Channel A and B Driving Settings ------ {Press Enter to change settings}
    Driving Strength Profile ------- : [Auto] 			<-- setting for channel A
    Driving Strength Profile ------- : [Auto] 			<-- setting for channel B
    Motherboard Voltage Control
    CPU
    Voltage Types--------- Normal ----- Current -----
    Load-Line Calibration ---------- : [Disabled]
    CPU Vcore ----------- 1.????? -- : [Auto] 
    CPU Termination ----- 1.200V* -- : [Auto] 
    CPU PLL ------------- 1.500V* -- : [Auto] 	
    CPU Reference ------- 0.755V* -- : [Auto] 
    CPU Reference2 ------ 0.800V* -- : [Auto] 
    MCH/ICH
    MCH Core ------------- 1.100V -- : [Auto] 
    MCH Reference -------- 0.800V -- : [Auto]
    MCH/DRAM Ref --------- 0.900V -- : [Auto]
    ICH I/O -------------- 1.500V -- : [Auto] 
    ICH Core ------------- 1.100V -- : [Auto] 
    DRAM
    DRAM Voltage --------- 1.800V -- : [Auto] 
    DRAM Termination ----- 0.900V -- : [Auto]
    Channel A Reference -- 0.900V -- : [Auto]
    Channel B Reference -- 0.900V -- : [Auto]
    Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3 ---------- : [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect ------ : [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) -------- : [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support ----------- : [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support --------- : [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) ---- : [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function  ------------- : [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology ------ : [Disabled] 
    Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect  ----- : [Enabled]
    We need detailed information about ALL OF THE HARDWARE in your system.

Create a detailed hardware list in the System Specs
    portion of your forum profile at the bottom of the profile page.
    Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.
    When you are done editing or creating your hardware list, save the settings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	@Sample EP45-UD3P Screenshot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	754702
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Thanks for reply.

I added rest of the Rams to set settings you mentioned on bios, couldn't even post, PC went on restart loop. I removed one of OCZ Rams, the same. I removed 2nd OCZ, the same. I removed one Kingston leaving one Kingston, the same. I added OCZs alone, the same. I removed one OCZ, the same. At some point pc managed to give beeping errors (all short) and kept giving that, instead of silent restart loop. Then i managed to post with one OCZ, went on to bios, made changes you mentioned. Didn't missing anything. No post with 3 or 4 Rams, no post with two Kingstons. Then i set Mch to 1.24 after setting it to 1.20, all the same. I could post with one Kingston at last attempt but that's it. Then it went on silent restart loop again.

This happened to me before. That's why i stopped trying combinations. I seem to manage to get my OCZ rams to work sooner or later but Kingstons not so much. Iirc i can get Kingstons to post and running after setting frequency to 800mhz (or very high timings, Iirc) and inserting them and changing frequency back to 1066 while they're plugged. But they stop working immediately after inserting more Ram. I don't know why.

If i can make some progress i will post all settings and specs you asked for but it's useless at the moment.

Before this started happening i was able to even boot to Windows using 3 or 4 Rams, 4 Rams was quickly giving bsods but i was able to even play games for a while before absod with 3 rams. I don't know what changed but it's annoying not being able to even post, which limits what you can do so much...

Btw, my bios version is F11e

Comment

If you click on the PC Specs link next to my avatar, you can instantly see my full hardware list.
        If you do not fill in your System Specs, I can't help you.
        We need to be able to quickly and easily see your full hardware list!

Are you familiar with saving and loading saved bios profiles where you can save up to 8 different bios profiles?
        The information is in the bios section of your motherboard user manual.
        This is an excellent feature that saves a lot of time and effort when you are overclocking.

You didn't say if your system was overclocked or not.

It's best to load optimized bios defaults before you start overclocking.
        When you do this, you will "lose" your current settings, but this isn't a problem if you have first saved your settings to a bios profile.

Go into the bios, load optimized bios defaults, and then make any required changes in the non-MIT bios panels.
        The default setting for Performance Enhance should be [Turbo] and this is OK for non-overclocked settings.
        Do NOT make any other changes in the MIT section of the bios for now.
        Before you save the settings and exit, save the settings as a saved bios profile and give it a name such as default-settings.

I strongly suggest that you write down you bios settings on a single sheet of paper each time you make changes where you also include notes that describe specific error details and what worked well.

Your goal right now is for your system to be fully stable at stock cpu speeds with only two memory modules from one memory kit installed.
        When you can post a cropped screen shot that shows your settings, we can more forward.

Keep in mind that Memtest86+ is an excellent preliminary test program, but that Prime95 or a similar program needs to be run in windows to see if your system is really stable. A 4 hour or longer Prime95 test should be good enough for now.

What is the brand name, model name and wattage of your power supply and how old is it?
        Many system problems can be due to an older, failing or cheap power supply.
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Of course it wasn't overclocked. As you asked to do so.

My PC is perfectly stable with my OCZ RAMs even when overclocked.

I have updated my Specs area.

Almost all of my BIOS settings are at Auto except what you said. PCI-E frequency is at 100, as generally suggested. Only thing that's different is Performance Enhance is at Standart. Is that important?

I will post all bios settings and the picture in a few, I just wanted to say right now I'm able to boot to Windows and write this with 2 OCZ and 1 Kingston RAM (I didn't do anything differently). But I couldn't post and got beeping error each time I tried adding 4th RAM. Removing 4th RAM immediately made the computer to boot each time.

My PSU is Enermax Pro 82+ 525W, it's 6 years old but it should be fine as they make the best PSUs out there. I haven't had any kind of problems until I bought new RAMs.

Comment

OK, very good!

Leave Performance Enhance = Standard with your 3 memory modules installed.

Post a screen-shot similar to my example and include your current bios settings using the template that I posted.

Run the Prime95 Large FFT stress test for 3 - 4 hours.
            If one or more workers get an error, the test has failed and should be stopped, then post a screen-shot of the Prime95 screen.

Your Enermax psu is probably OK.

This is a sample Prime95 error screen where worker #3 had a rounding error after 13 minutes:

Comment

Current working (using 6GB RAMs) BIOS settings:

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
              Robust Graphics Booster -------- : [Auto]
              CPU Clock Ratio ---------------- : [8x]
              Fine CPU Clock Ratio ----------- : [0.0]
              CPU Frequency -------------- : 2.66 GHz (333x8)
              Clock Chip Control
              Standard Clock Control
              CPU Host Clock Control --------- : [Disabled]
              CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ------- : [400]
              PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) ---- : [100]
              C.I.A.2 ------------------------ : [Disabled]
              Advanced Clock Control ------- [Press Enter]
              CPU Clock Drive ---------------- : 800mV
              PCI Express Clock Drive -------- : 900mV
              CPU Clock Skew (ps) ------------ : 0ps
              MCH Clock Skew (ps) ------------ : 0ps
              DRAM Performance Control
              Performance Enhance ------------ : [Standart]
              Extreme Memory Profile - (XMP) - : [N/A]
              (G)MCH Frequency Latch --------- : [Auto]
              System Memory Multiplier ------- : [3.20B]
              Memory Frequency (Mhz) --------- : [1066]
              DRAM Timing Selectable --------- : [Manual]
              Standard Timing Control
              CAS Latency Time ------- ?? ---- : [5]
              tRCD ------------------ ?? ---- : [5]
              tRP -------------------- ?? ---- : [5]
              tRAS ------------------ ?? ---- : [18]
              Advanced Timing Control
              tRRD ------------------ ?? ---- : [Auto]
              tWTR ------------------ ?? ---- : [Auto]
              tWR -------------------- ?? ---- : [Auto]
              tRFC ------------------ ?? ---- : [Auto]
              tRTP ------------------ ?? ---- : [Auto]
              Command Rate (CMD) ------------- : [Auto]
              Channel A Timing Settings -- {Press Enter to change settings}
              Dimm1 Clock Skew Control ------- : [Auto] ps
              Dimm2 Clock Skew Control ------- : [Auto] ps
              Channel B Timing Settings -- {Press Enter to change settings}
              Dimm1 Clock Skew Control ------- : [Auto] ps
              Dimm2 Clock Skew Control ------- : [Auto] ps
              Channel A and B Driving Settings ------ {Press Enter to change settings}
              Driving Strength Profile ------- : [Auto] <-- setting for channel A
              Driving Strength Profile ------- : [Auto] <-- setting for channel B
              Motherboard Voltage Control
              CPU
              Voltage Types--------- Normal ----- Current -----
              Load-Line Calibration ---------- : [N/A]
              CPU Vcore ----------- 1.21250 -- : [Auto]
              CPU Termination ----- 1.200V -- : [Auto]
              CPU PLL ------------- 1.500V -- : [Auto]
              CPU Reference ------- 0.760V -- : [Auto]
              CPU Reference2 ------ 0.800V -- : [N/A]
              MCH/ICH
              MCH Core ------------- 1.100V -- : [1.240]
              MCH Reference -------- 0.760V -- : [Auto]
              MCH/DRAM Ref --------- 0.900V -- : [Auto]
              ICH I/O -------------- 1.500V -- : [Auto]
              ICH Core ------------- 1.100V -- : [Auto]
              DRAM
              DRAM Voltage --------- 1.800V -- : [2.000]
              DRAM Termination ----- 0.900V -- : [Auto]
              Channel A Reference -- 0.900V -- : [Auto]
              Channel B Reference -- 0.900V -- : [Auto]
              Advanced Settings
              Limit CPUID Max. to 3 ---------- : [Disabled]
              No-Execute Memory Protect ------ : [Enabled]
              CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) -------- : [Enabled]
              C2/C2E State Support ----------- : [Enabled]
              x C4/C4E State Support --------- : [Enabled]
              CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) ---- : [Enabled]
              CPU EIST Function ------------- : [Enabled]
              Virtualization Technology ------ : [Enabled]
              Integrated Peripherals
              Legacy USB Storage Detect ----- : [Enabled]

I hope I didn't miss anything.
              Last edited by Prequel; 10-31-2014, 10:40 AM. Reason: Updated "Normal" values under CPU & MCH/ICH voltages

Comment

CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) should read 333, not 400 MHz in your posted settings, 400MHz is from your 3.20GHz overclock.

I'd like to see the screen-shots, especially the ET6 and Memset windows.

After you have posted the screen-shots and completed the first Prime95 test, I'll have some suggested bios changes for you.

Go ahead and run the Prime95 Large FFT test and post your results.

I'll be leaving soon but I'll check back when I get back in about 8 hours.

Comment

It's disabled so shouldn't make any difference.

Prime95 is running for 23 mins, no errors yet.

Comment

Looks like a good start.

As expected, the memory timings are not optimal, but this is not important right now.

The first goal is to have your system fully stable with no cpu overclock and with all four memory modules installed.

The memory timings will be optimized after you've reached your cpu overclock goal with 8GB of memory installed.

On your next screen-shot press the ">>" icon in Memset so that the settings for both memory channels are displayed.

The SPD information for the OCZ memory is similar to my OCZ Reaper memory kits.

Keep in mind that in many/most cases, with 8GB of DDR2 installed memory, running at 1066MHz speeds is not possible.
                    When this happens, the maximum memory speed is often near 1000MHz.

My preference is to use 4-4-4-12 settings with memory speeds up to about 875MHz.
                    The real world memory performance with the cas4 settings is identical to using cas5 (5-5-5-15) settings at or near 1066MHz.

Comment

Comment

I ran Prime 95 for about 4.5 hours, returned with no error.

So now are you saying my "RAMs" are stable right now at this state? I won't get a BSOD if I play a game or at some unexpected moment or after some time? I mean I am satisfied with Prime's CPU usage I was even a bit afraid to see what will happen as I don't usually get 100% CPU usage for extensive period of time; as you may know even most demanding games doesn't use 100% CPU all the time. What I wonder is how much this test tested my RAMs' stability tough? I read what you said about this test but as I didn't see a high memory usage by this test I am not sure how much it shows RAMs' stability. In a game however RAM usage is much more. But I guess it's possible for a test program to test RAMs without using a large amount of it at a given time. I'd still like to hear your thoughts about this.

Another thing that occupies my mind is that I believe there is a high chance for these exact set-up to not work if I remove some RAMs, add some in different combinations and then for a final time place RAMs like they were right now. Do you know why might this be? Is it because there are tweaks needed to be made that maybe this state right now is in limbo between success and failure so it can go either ways? With Kingston RAMs in place I am not sure how much I can keep this stable state whether I change something temporarily in the hardware or I do something concerning a hardware demanding software.

I am planning to play some game right now and I'll probably be able to write to you about it too before you reply. I had a couple BSODs and freezings while playing Metro with two Kingstons plugged a few days ago, I'll see how is it going now. I'll be very glad if it goes perfectly smoothly.

This brings me to another topic I mentioned earlier. Do you think there is a problem with my RAM usage? Is it even possible for Windows to "sense" physical RAM problems (despite passing Memtest86+) and use virtual memory instead to prevent failing?

Looking forward to see your suggested settings and your thoughts about the rest tomorrow.

Comment

I played 1-2 hours of 'Metro: Last Light' last night I haven't had any problems but I couldn't play more because apparently you can't beat the boss in 'Undercity' when you don't have lots of ammo.

Edit: I am having a small problem; say, when I switch from this tab to another content of pages mix each other for a second in Firefox latest version. But this doesn't happen each time I switch tabs, it happened only a few times, I don't wanna mislead but seems like to happen after a while of inactivity on browser. I don't remember getting this before. Could this be related to RAMs? I haven't recently visited TweakTown before this problem much, so I think it can be caused by TT but I'm not sure.
                          Last edited by Prequel; 11-01-2014, 05:03 AM.

Comment

A 4.5 hour Prime95 test with no errors, is a good start, but it does not mean that your system is fully stable.
                            The Large FFT tests a lot of memory, that is, it performs a lot or memory reads and writes.
                            The Small FFT test heavily stresses your cpu and does not stress memory very much.
                            The Blend test alternates between running large FFT and small FFT tests.
                            I consider a system to be stable after you have run each of the three Prime95 tests for at least 6 - 8 hours with no errors.
                            Several years ago most of us did not consider our systems to be stable until each test had run for 24 hours with no errors in any of the tests!

It's very frustrating to run one or two of the tests for 8 hours or longer with no errors, only to have the next test fail.
                            One option that might save you time in the long run is to run each test, one at a time for 2 - 3 hours each time. If there any errors you don't run the remaining tests.
                            If all three of the short tests have no errors, then you rerun each test for 6 - 8 hours or longer.

When all three tests run without errors it is then time to continue the next overclocking step and then repeat this testing procedure.
                            Needless to say that this gets old real quick.
                            This is why it is important to have stable saved bios profiles that you can reload where your system will be stable when you want to take a break from overclocking.

Click on the Prime95 Stress Testing How-To Tutorial from Playtool.com link in my signature for more information.

I didn't see a high memory usage by this test I am not sure how much it shows RAMs' stability.
                            Look closely at each test description in the Prime95 window where you select which test to run. The in-place testing option repeatedly uses the same memory location during the test. The Blend test is the only test that does not, by default, use in-place testing. When running LinX or IBT (Intel Burn Test) you can select how much of your available memory you want to test with. You can run monitoring programs like HWiNFO and enable sensor logging to a CSV file that will report any or all sensor information and you can later look at saved sensor readings for temperatures, voltages, memory usage, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Prime95 Torture Test Default Options_01.png
Views:	3
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	754707

I've seen a few cases where switching memory module placement sometimes makes a difference between success and failure.
                            Unless one or more of the memory modules were not fully seated, I don't know of other reasons why this might happen.
                            You might find it helpful to put a unique letter and/or number on each of your modules. This is what I do.

I seriously doubt that windows or any operating can "sense" memory problems, but....
                            .....when many problems occur, programs and operating systems "find out" some information about the problem and can log some information. Computer programmers devote a lot of their time and effort coding error routines that try to deal with any unexpected errors. A BSOD is one type of error handling. When a systems freezes or locks up this tells me that something went wrong and little or nothing could be done about it. It will boggle your mind if you run the windows Event Viewer and try to make any sense of the information. Some forums have several very knowledgeable members who can deal with with this information. Windows 7 Help Forums is one of the best go to places when the poop hits the fan.

Getting your mismatched memory kits to play nicely is going to more involved than if you bought two memory kits (ideally at the same time) that are identical. This is what I did when I bought two brand new, retail Kingston HyperX kits for my 4x2GB memory setup. Buying two identical used memory is a crap shoot; it might work out fine or it might turn out to be a royal PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by Prequel View Post
                              I played 1-2 hours of 'Metro: Last Light' last night I haven't had any problems but I couldn't play more because apparently you can't beat the boss in 'Undercity' when you don't have lots of ammo.

Edit: I am having a small problem; say, when I switch from this tab to another content of pages mix each other for a second in Firefox latest version. But this doesn't happen each time I switch tabs, it happened only a few times, I don't wanna mislead but seems like to happen after a while of inactivity on browser. I don't remember getting this before. Could this be related to RAMs? I haven't recently visited TweakTown before this problem much, so I think it can be caused by TT but I'm not sure.
                              Keep in mind that with your current setup:
                              1. your cpu is running at stock speeds
                              2. your memory's settings are not optimized yet
                              3. you have only three memory modules installed and your system is no longer running optimally in dual channel mode

Patience!!

Check out Desktop Boards &mdash; Single and Multi-Channel Memory Modes

Comment

Working...
                              X