Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-H81TN motherboard, can get to post

Hi,
    I have built a system based on this mobo, whit an Intel i3-4350T processor.
    this is the second mobo i have changed, and i still can get the computer running, and i know for sure its not the CPU or the memory.
    Therefore, i am assuming that i am doing something wrong with the build.
    Is there any special things to consider in this system built, that are different from regular ATX computer? (any jumpers or connections)

Thank you in advanced for your help.

Re: GA-H81TN motherboard, can get to post

If the motherboard is installed in a case, try removing the motherboard from the case and laying it on some cardboard such as the motherboard carton. This will help eliminate any dead shorts that might be occurring.
    Make sure memory is in correct slots....also you might try with a single RAM stick installed.
    Hopefully someone will be able to help you along, I am working on some gpu gremlins on my rig right now so I might not be back for a while.
    I will tell you if every thing fails, carefully remove the cpu and check for bent socket pins...unfortunately it's very easy to bend/move pins.
    Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

I have already tried everything you suggested, and still no response from the system.
      and this is the second mobo in this system, and the first one showed exactly the same symptoms.
      So i don't think its this, and i am assuming i am doing something else wrong.

Comment

You should tell us what you have tried so we don't have to guess....also it's standard to list the parts in your profile settings.
        I'm not familiar with that specific motherboard....does it have a 4 or 8 pin cpu power connector? If so is it plugged in?
        Do any fans try to come on, even for a second? Any lights, anything at all?
        Have you verified the power supply works?
        PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
        Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30

Comment

Sorry for the lack of information.
          This board connect to an exterior power supply with a 19v dc connector.
          My power is a 120W 5.79A FSP power supply which is compatible with this board, and it works.
          When i start the system, i get the CPU fan starting, but that's it.
          there is also a 2 pin connector which in my understanding is not supposed to be connected if you connect the dc power.
          My setup is this:
          CPU - i3 4350T
          Mobo - Gigabyte GA-H81TN
          RAM - Corsair 8gb 1600mhz low voltage so-dimm
          HD - Samsung evo 120gb mSata

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey View Post
            Sorry for the lack of information.
            This board connect to an exterior power supply with a 19v dc connector.
            My power is a 120W 5.79A FSP power supply which is compatible with this board, and it works.

When i start the system, i get the CPU fan starting, but that's it.
            there is also a 2 pin connector which in my understanding is not supposed to be connected if you connect the dc power.
            My setup is this:
            CPU - i3 4350T
            Mobo - Gigabyte GA-H81TN
            RAM - Corsair 8gb 1600mhz low voltage so-dimm
            HD - Samsung evo 120gb mSata
            I don't think your power supply is adequate for this board. Specifications from your board's FAQ section:

Click image for larger version

Name:	H81TN PSU spec.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	754659

The main specification page states a minimum of: 150W = 19V / 7.89A

Your CPU is a 35W TDP model, but the 120W current specification at 19V is 6.32A. Your power supply is rated at 5.79A?

Your PSU, at 19v and 5.79A, is actually 110W. That's 0.53A below the minimum specified power.

If you're using a LVDS display, which draws power from the board, that is an additional load that the PSU must support.

When a PC is started, most if not all of its power saving features are not active until the OS is running, and even then it will be a minute or more before things settle down. So while a PC based on a board like this can idle at ~20W, it needs much more than that when starting. IMO, that is why you are having this problem.

Comment

I will try to connect a different PSU, however i know about similar systems based on this board running on a 4.74A PSU.
              i am not connected to LVDS, i am trying to connect to the HDMI port.

Comment

I have connected the system to a 135W 7.1A PSU, which is the same ratio (current to wattage) as the ones in the table, and still no post.
                Any other ideas?

Comment

Hard to say, could just be a dead board.
                  Did you ever check those cpu socket pins? All it takes is one or two pushed to the side sometimes, although I confess that I have never personally had one that would not at least power up for a few seconds.

Comment

The cpu socket pins are aligned properly, and i doubt it's the board because it's the second board showing the exact same scenario.
                    I tried a different cpu, and still no change.
                    What else could be a possible problem?

Comment

Sometimes it's little things you can't see. It took me a while to find why my pc was shutting down when my gpu's were running benches while Xfired.
                      Just came down to a couple of wires that had been worked so many times they were not making good enough contact with the pins...it took me days of testing and looking + disassembling the gpu cables to find the problem. So now I'm in the middle of making new gpu cables.

Hopefully if you keep at it you will find the problem, sometimes troubleshooting takes a long time but I usually figure it out in the end.

Comment

Working...
                      X