Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-Z87X-UD5 TH - Another Reboot Loop - could both BIOS be bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z87X-UD5 TH - Another Reboot Loop - could both BIOS be bad?

Hi all,

System Spec.
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5 TH
    CPU: Intel I7-4790
    Video: Onboard
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 1.5V 2x8GB
    PowerSupply: Corsair TM750M

I'm troubleshooting my new system as it's stuck in a reboot loop.

Symptoms:
    In Dual BIOS mode: (switch 1 set to 1)
    - Powers up for a split second and then powers off. no DEBUG code available
    - Attempts to power up backup BIOS for a split second then powers off. no DEBUG code available.
    - Alternates over and over.

In Single BIOS mode: (switch 1 set to 2)
    - Powers up and stays on but no DEBUG code, no onboard display
    - Same for both Main and Backup BIOS (switch 2 set to 2)

I've gone through the forums and have tried:
    - Resetting the CMOS via CMOS reset button
    -- Same symptoms

- Resetting the CMOS via removing battery
    -- Same symptoms

- Removed all components
    -- Same symptoms * Should I expect to see DEBUG codes when nothing except for the power supply is connected to it? I would think so.
    -- I've swapped power supplies to a Corsair AX1200 that is known to work

I don't have spare memory or CPU but have ordered a spare CPU to hopefully rule that out.

I would've expected the motherboard to show DEBUG codes when there is nothing connected to the motherboard other than just power.

Can I get a confirmation on what happens with a working motherboard when nothing is connected to it? I think it's strange that the BIOS, main and backup, would not post or that there are no debug codes to help troubleshoot.

Other notes, This is the 2nd motherboard, the first one had a reboot loop issue as well but would loop in all BIOS switch configurations. But because both motherboards have similar problems I am suspecting CPU or memory but I'd like to understand what happens when nothing is connected. So I can rule out the motherboard.

Any other thoughts or tips would greatly be appreciated.

Best,
    J.

Re: GA-Z87X-UD5 TH - Another Reboot Loop - could both BIOS be bad?

You will need a processor in place to test. But since you've had this problem with two different boards I suspect the cpu.....unless somehow the cpu sockets got buggered on both boards.
    All I can say is try another cpu and/or look over the socket really well.
    Good luck.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

did you try powering on the pc with front power switch and as soon as you hear the fans spin switch off at rear psu power switch? repeat this three or four times then let pc powerup normally,it should envoke the backup bios to recover the main bios chip

try to do it as fast as you can
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Try with only 1 memory stick.

Comment

Hi all,

Thank you so much for responding.

I got a response back from Gigabyte, their response was that I would need an old Haswell CPU to bring up the system and flash the BIOS to the latest version. The i7-4790 needs the latest BIOS. So I do have an older i5-4430 on order. So I will test that out. Which does make sense. We'll see.

I did try your other suggestions just in case.

1 memory stick no difference - the behavior is still the same. 2 sticks, 1 stick (both individually), and 0 sticks. I would expect different results with 0 sticks (like beep codes or something)

The rapid power on/off didn't do anything, but it's such a situational test I can't be sure I'm doing it the way you're suggesting. Just do it a few times and hope to get lucky. But still no luck.

Again thanks so much for your suggestions all. I'll follow-up tomorrow when I get the new "old" CPU.

Cheers!
          J.

Comment

Ahh. I didn't catch that you started out with one of the newer cpu's.
            But that makes sense now.....
            Hope it all comes together for you.
            PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
            Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30

Comment

Yea, I did read the CPU supported list on their site and it is on there. With BIOS support since F4. Unfortunately I can't verify the BIOS version till I can boot it up. . . so crossing my fingers on that.

Thanks again!

Comment

Hi all,

Just a follow-up.

The problem came down to an old version of the BIOS that didn't support the new i7-4790 CPU.

Unfortunately the fix is to use an older CPU (purchased an i5-4430) to get the mobo to boot to BIOS. And then use the efiflash.exe utility to update the BIOS to version F4. Then swapped CPUs to use the new i7-4790 which is now up and running.

The original installed BIOS was version F2

The new BIOS required for the new CPU is F4

Cheers!
                J.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyJ View Post
                  Hi all,

Just a follow-up.

The problem came down to an old version of the BIOS that didn't support the new i7-4790 CPU.

Unfortunately the fix is to use an older CPU (purchased an i5-4430) to get the mobo to boot to BIOS. And then use the efiflash.exe utility to update the BIOS to version F4. Then swapped CPUs to use the new i7-4790 which is now up and running.

The original installed BIOS was version F2

The new BIOS required for the new CPU is F4

Cheers!
                  J.
                  I'm sure Gigabyte would have done it for you, but of course you'd be out of a board for a while, depending on where you live.

Comment

I'm having the same issue as the author and unfortunately gigabytes CPU list is useless... So I was wondering if any knows if this processor would work with the older firmwares: <label class="product_title"> Intel Celeron G1830 2.8GHz LGA1150 Processor .
                    Thanks,
                    -Sharks
                    </label>

Comment

Originally posted by Sharks View Post
                      I'm having the same issue as the author and unfortunately gigabytes CPU list is useless... So I was wondering if any knows if this processor would work with the older firmwares: <label class="product_title"> Intel Celeron G1830 2.8GHz LGA1150 Processor .
                      Thanks,
                      -Sharks
                      </label>

This is the CPU list:
                      GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Socket 1150 - Intel Z87 - GA-Z87X-UD5 TH (rev. 1.x)

It does show your processor (G1830) with BIOS Support since F4. I would try the other recommendations on this thread but looking to update the firmware may resolve your problem.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                      X