X38 Finally Dead - Single long (ish) beep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X38 Finally Dead - Single long (ish) beep

Hi guys, after many years looks like my X38-DQ6 has finally called it quits.
    When I press the power, all fans power up, it gives a long beep and then after a 5 seconds turns off. Then it reboots, then a long beep and after maybe 2 seconds - then repeats the whole cycle over and over.
    The Monitor doesn't turn on at all.
    Beep is long(ish) maybe just over a second, it's not the very long one which happens if you remove the GPU etc or the short Post one, nor are there multiple beeps. Just one beep.

My Tests so far:
    1. Remove CMOS, clear CMOS using jumper and restart
    2. Re-seat all cables
    3. Remove all peripheral devices
    4. Remove all SATA & IDE devices, including power connectors from the devices
    5. Remove all RAM - It should have changed to 3 beeps here, but it didn't !
    6. Physically remove all components leaving only CPU. I've removed all SATA connectors - power and data, all fans (except CPU), removed GPU, removed Memory. Result - No change to condition.
    7. I've got an 8800 GTX, if I keep this connected and remove the 2 extra power cables going into the card, then it does complain with a loud continuous whining noise. If I plug all the cables, that goes away and it returns to the single long beep.
    The board doesn't seem to be even checking the missing RAM etc.

In order to test my components, I've borrowed a friend's old CPU Tower gathering dust. I cleaned it, Cleared the CMOS and restored it to boot properly.
    8. I removed existing RAM, put mine on it - System works
    9. Replaced his power supply with mine (His PSU coouldn't handle the extra 2 PCIE needed for the 8800GTX, so had to do this first) - System works
    10. Replaced his PCIE with the 8800GTX - System works
    11. Replaced his CPU with mine. It kinda got stuck on the POST screen showing 450Mhz - but then I realised that the board is a 945PL and would not support a Q6600. Unfortunately I don't have any other spare board to test my CPU on.
    12. Last thing, I swapped his CPU (P4 3.2Ghz) on my mother board - No change - Long beep
    While I couldn't verify if my CPU is still intact, it does appear that my board is gone as it's not accepting the P4 CPU which I know is working.

Has anyone seen this issue before or know what the single beep means ?
    Full system specs on my signature...
    Intel Core i5 4670k C0 @4.2Ghz - Corsair H80i
    Gigabyte GA-Z97x-SOC Force (Rev 01, BIOS F6C)
    16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz DDR3 9-10-9-27 1.5v
    Gigabyte R9 280x OC Windforce

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Small print - All suggestions I give on this forum are just that - Suggestions.
    I'm merely suggesting an approach/opinion which I would have taken - You are welcome to try at your own risk.

Re: X38 Finally Dead - Single long (ish) beep

How old is your power supply?

Have you carefully inspected the cpu socket pins for signs of bent, broken or burn damage?
    Are all of the cpu pins the same height?
    Are there any signs of damage on the underside of your cpu?

Did you test your video card in both pci-e x16 slots?
    Did you test the other video card in both pci-e x16 slots? Test with each power supply?
    Did you do any of the above tests with your motherboard outside of your computer case?

It's possible that there is a problem with your power supply in spite of your tests.

From page 108 in your motherboard user manual:
    The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
    (For reference only.)

1 short: System boots successfully
    2 short: CMOS setting error
    1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
    1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
    1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
    1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error

Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
    Continuous short beeps: Power error
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Thanks profJim, I've responded below and will try to check the pins etc tomorrow morning

Originally posted by profJim View Post

Have you carefully inspected the cpu socket pins for signs of bent, broken or burn damage?
      Are all of the cpu pins the same height?
      Are there any signs of damage on the underside of your cpu?
      Underside looked ok, I'll inspect the pins. There was a 800gm cooler hanging on this for the last few years.
      PSU is as old as the system - 2007. for 7 years.

Did you test your video card in both pci-e x16 slots?
      Did you test the other video card in both pci-e x16 slots? Test with each power supply?
      Did you do any of the above tests with your motherboard outside of your computer case?
      Yes, both slots.
      I tried the other video card on both my slots. I tried my video on the other motherboard and that works.
      I tested my power supply on the second board, that works. Unfortunately I couldn't try the 2nd PSU on my board as it didn't have all connectors.
      Yes, All tests were outside my motherboard - easy to swap out components.

It's possible that there is a problem with your power supply in spite of your tests.

From page 108 in your motherboard user manual:
      The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
      (For reference only.)

1 short: System boots successfully
      2 short: CMOS setting error
      1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
      1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
      1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
      1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error

Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
      Continuous short beeps: Power error
      The single long beep wasn't covered in the manual and I couldn't find anything on the net either.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I'm merely suggesting an approach/opinion which I would have taken - You are welcome to try at your own risk.

Comment

Motherboard socket pins look ok.
        See images
        Attached Files

Comment

Side view
          Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0115.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	754384

Comment

Back of the mobo - Socket area. Again doesn't seem to be anything wrong here - no burnt marks or anything.
            if you look closely you may see a line across which looks like a scratch - it's just a mark from the thermal pad from the crazy cool copper that comes with this board. It's non conductive and if I rub it, it comes off. It looks like a scratch on the image due to light reflected from the bright flash I used for the photo...
            Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0107.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	754385
            Last edited by spec; 05-30-2014, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Yes ! You're right!
              My PSU doesn't work on the new system, even though I tested it on the borrowed P4 I checked it on.
              Maybe it's a power quantity related issue - works ok for low power but additional system demand causes reset.
              Even on the new system it booted to BIOS, I could run Memtest etc. Only windows installation was failing during Disk access.

I've got a Corsair AX860i now.
              I'll check my old board again with the new power supply to verify in the next few days (Still building my new one)

Comment

Update: The board is confirmed Dead. I used my new PSU from the build to test this.
                Must've been a catastrophic failure on the PSU, which took out the motherboard as well. Luckily the Gfx, RAM and CPU are still intact along with peripheral devices and SATA etc.
                The PSU still works on an older system I tested, my guess it that it might be one of rails and it's able to perform low power but just can't deliver anything higher.

Comment

Working...
                X