• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boondocks
    replied
    Re: Gigabyte Z97 Boards Teazer

Originally posted by MysticalOS View Post
    That wouldn't explain the cooler equal to air cooler. But I don't want to derail the topic too much. I may just pull whole liquid system and put noctua back in since it runs at same temp with FAR less maintenance. As for water cooler, I don't know, 300 dollar paperweight?
    Somethings not right. I've never heard of a Raystorm block not working, and there are literally hundreds of people on OCN with Raystorms. Maybe something else in your loop.
    But, your call, do what you need to do.

Leave a comment:

• MysticalOS
    replied

Maybe. I've seen some DC cpu's reported as having high temps; it's not completely unheard of.
    That wouldn't explain the cooler equal to air cooler. But I don't want to derail the topic too much. I may just pull whole liquid system and put noctua back in since it runs at same temp with FAR less maintenance. As for water cooler, I don't know, 300 dollar paperweight?

Leave a comment:

• boondocks
    replied

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
    theres 4 or 5 levels of llc on z77 low to turbo I think,dunno if its same on haswell but each level will boost cpu by a certain amount to counter vdroop at load

surely you can straighten them thar pins?
    LLC doesn't work the same with Haswell boards, wazza, it keeps the Vrin up. Haswell cpu's are a whole new ballgame compared to IB.

Tried straightening the pins but broke at least one. Anyway could not get it to boot so I'll just RMA it, GiB is pretty good about fixing this sort of thing. Dummy me forgot Haswell boards the cpu socket cover goes on top the retention mechanism instead of directly on the socket and I mucked the pins up.

That's what I thought. I just don't get temps i'm seeing. I've redone block 3 times. it's got best contact i can get it to have and good TIM application. Yet the temps are just as high, sometimes even a little higher than the noctua D14 it replaced. The radiator is outside of case with very good airflow. No tube kinks of any kind and flow looks good. Pump is at 5 for maximum flow. The only thing in loop is cpu so no heat off GPU at all. I'm baffled as to why it does such a poor job cooling cpu. I really think it's the 1150 socket bracket though. I don't think it's got enough pressure on cpu compared to noctua which has a smaller sink and doesn't sit on top of bracket too. I'm pretty sure at top right corner the bracket IS taller than the cpu.

My 4790 is not delidded but I am wondering if that'd help. If heat transfer to the cpu lid isn't good then all the heat is trapped in the die and not reaching the water block maybe? I wasn't sure if the 4790ks still have that 0.6 mm gap or whatever it is or not. As for bracket, not sure what to do about that. I really do feel like the block should have thought of that, and not been so huge.
    Maybe. I've seen some DC cpu's reported as having high temps; it's not completely unheard of.

Leave a comment:

• MysticalOS
    replied

Originally posted by boondocks View Post
    The Raystorm blocks are pretty good, actually in the top few percent. I have two, a regular Raystorm and a full copper. I also have an EK supremecy Nickel I'm running right now on a 4790K. But honestly I couldn't see any difference in cooling on an overclocked 4770K between a Raystorm and the Supremcy. I just like the looks of the EK block better, especially since I polished it up so it's clear now.
    That's what I thought. I just don't get temps i'm seeing. I've redone block 3 times. it's got best contact i can get it to have and good TIM application. Yet the temps are just as high, sometimes even a little higher than the noctua D14 it replaced. The radiator is outside of case with very good airflow. No tube kinks of any kind and flow looks good. Pump is at 5 for maximum flow. The only thing in loop is cpu so no heat off GPU at all. I'm baffled as to why it does such a poor job cooling cpu. I really think it's the 1150 socket bracket though. I don't think it's got enough pressure on cpu compared to noctua which has a smaller sink and doesn't sit on top of bracket too. I'm pretty sure at top right corner the bracket IS taller than the cpu.

My 4790 is not delidded but I am wondering if that'd help. If heat transfer to the cpu lid isn't good then all the heat is trapped in the die and not reaching the water block maybe? I wasn't sure if the 4790ks still have that 0.6 mm gap or whatever it is or not. As for bracket, not sure what to do about that. I really do feel like the block should have thought of that, and not been so huge.

Leave a comment:

• wazza300
    replied

Originally posted by scracy View Post
    To the best of my knowledge you cant adjust LLC on Gigabyte Z87 boards,at least not for the Vcore...you do have one for Vrin though....
    theres 4 or 5 levels of llc on z77 low to turbo I think,dunno if its same on haswell but each level will boost cpu by a certain amount to counter vdroop at load

Originally posted by boondocks View Post

Soon as I get Gigabyte to (hopefully) fix my Z87X-UD5H I will stick the 4770K back in it. (I got some bent cpu socket pins )
    surely you can straighten them thar pins?

Leave a comment:

• boondocks
    replied

Z97X-UD5H
    Highest stable OC: 4.8
    uncore/cache: Auto (8-40x)
    Vring/cache voltage: 1.2
    OC VID: 1.355
    OC Vcore: 1.380
    Vrin/Vccin: 2.0

24/7 I decided to run 4.7 since I can with 1.272 max vcore which is a little better than my 4770K; however my 4770K will boot at 5.0 with less than 1.4v and the 4790K will not.

Soon as I get Gigabyte to (hopefully) fix my Z87X-UD5H I will stick the 4770K back in it. (I got some bent cpu socket pins )

Leave a comment:

• boondocks
    replied

I see the voltage do that too. I set mine to 1.258 and it actually does 1.272

I still have it at 4.6. Running at 70C under load on noctua D14. I upgraded to a XSPC Raystorm AX360 Extreme Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit w/ D5 Variant Pump and it still runs at 70C under load. I'm baffled as to why the raystorm isn't better. I was hoping to shoot for 4.8-5.0 with best water cooler i could get and turns out to break even with best air cooling out there :\ Locked at 4.6 it is I guess. :\

Taking it apart twice now I don't think I can fix the problem, i think that all around the block is poorly designed. it's so large because it's supposed to be a multi cpu block. The problem is, the socket bracket is taller than the cpu, so I think there is too big of a pocket between the block and the cpu itself because of the bracket. the noctua has a much smaller block that is only the size of cpu, so it sits on and presses against cpu more firmly. as good as water cooler is, it's no good if it's not tight enough. for a 300 dollar product you'd think they'd design a block that is better and isn't cooling the bracket assembly instead of the cpu. Unfortunately i can't record a product for being crappy.
    The Raystorm blocks are pretty good, actually in the top few percent. I have two, a regular Raystorm and a full copper. I also have an EK supremecy Nickel I'm running right now on a 4790K. But honestly I couldn't see any difference in cooling on an overclocked 4770K between a Raystorm and the Supremcy. I just like the looks of the EK block better, especially since I polished it up so it's clear now.

Leave a comment:

• Lui
    replied

I have a new (delidded) 4790K, which can make 4.6Ghz 1.150V, 5Ghz IBT stable 1.387V..... I can't upload pictures

Leave a comment:

• scracy
    replied

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
    that's usually down to loadline calibration boosting vcore slightly to counter vdroop under load

just adjust the loadline calibration level and or the cpu vcore offset (dvid) to suit and lower the load cpu voltage
    To the best of my knowledge you cant adjust LLC on Gigabyte Z87 boards,at least not for the Vcore...you do have one for Vrin though....
    Last edited by scracy; 07-27-2014, 04:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MysticalOS
    replied

I see the voltage do that too. I set mine to 1.258 and it actually does 1.272

I still have it at 4.6. Running at 70C under load on noctua D14. I upgraded to a XSPC Raystorm AX360 Extreme Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit w/ D5 Variant Pump and it still runs at 70C under load. I'm baffled as to why the raystorm isn't better. I was hoping to shoot for 4.8-5.0 with best water cooler i could get and turns out to break even with best air cooling out there :\ Locked at 4.6 it is I guess. :\

Taking it apart twice now I don't think I can fix the problem, i think that all around the block is poorly designed. it's so large because it's supposed to be a multi cpu block. The problem is, the socket bracket is taller than the cpu, so I think there is too big of a pocket between the block and the cpu itself because of the bracket. the noctua has a much smaller block that is only the size of cpu, so it sits on and presses against cpu more firmly. as good as water cooler is, it's no good if it's not tight enough. for a 300 dollar product you'd think they'd design a block that is better and isn't cooling the bracket assembly instead of the cpu. Unfortunately i can't record a product for being crappy.
    Last edited by MysticalOS; 07-26-2014, 04:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• James7679
    replied

FWIW, an Intel tech told me that the voltage range 4790k, goes up to 1.5.
    Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• wazza300
    replied

that's usually down to loadline calibration boosting vcore slightly to counter vdroop under load

just adjust the loadline calibration level and or the cpu vcore offset (dvid) to suit and lower the load cpu voltage

Leave a comment:

• scracy
    replied

Its not just Z97 bios that has this issue my Z87 has same issue with 4790K Vid 1.33V in bios @4.8GHz but actual Vcore under load is 1.35V? My 4770K never did this!

Leave a comment:

• boondocks
    replied

I hope GiB does some more tweaking on the Z97 bios.....finite vcore control is pretty much out the window with my 4790K, IMO. For example a 1.24 vid gives 1.260 under load. It's a guessing game trying to step the vcore a little at a time. The board didn't respond quite this much to my 4770K so I wonder what's up.

Anyway I had a chance to test up to 4.7 stable last night with 1.24 vid (1.260 vcore) with some prime 95 and it looks good so I'll step it up a little. At 4.7 my 4770K needs around 1.29 so the DC cpu is definitely looking better so far.....we'll see how it scales at higher clocks.

Leave a comment:

• James7679
    replied

Soo, keep getting debug code "D4" on the mobo display. It pops up a lot at shut down, but as I am typing this, it is lit up, instead of the normal "OS".

According to the handy manual...D4 means; PCI allocation resource error. Out of resources.

Any clues?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X