Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z87X-UD3H 2nd Video card not registering.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87X-UD3H 2nd Video card not registering.

I'm about to lose my mind over this. I have a machine I built summer of 2013 which originally included one GTX 780. I recently purchased a second card (exact part number), and inserted it in the 8x PCI-E slot (the original card being in the 16x slot). The new card did not register at all aside from the fan spinning up and the cards lights working (it did not show up in device manager / nvidia control panel, etc). I then removed the original card, put the new card in the 16x slot and everything worked fine on its own so the new card wasn't defective or anything. But when I connected the old card back into the 8x slot the now the old card was not recognized. No matter what I did, the second card would not register when both were connected, this is with and without the bridge.

I was under the impression that if there is no card in the 16x slot then a single card should work in the 8x slot - so I gave this a shot. Neither card would give me video when used independently out of the 8x slot except for 1 -2 times, which led me to believe that there was an issue with the 8x slot (I temporarily though it might have been a seating issue although everything seemed to indicate otherwise, but just to be safe I used an old invidia card with no clearance issues and when seated perfectly still no video out). I tried the usual driver wiping and reinstalling, updated the BIOS version to F8, etc etc. Multiple people told me I probably had a faulty motherboard so rather than wait for an RMA, I just bought a new Z87x-UD3H and tried again. Same exact issue. Something I had originally overlooked was connecting power to the ATX4P connector on the board, still no change.

So in summary, I have 2 GTX 780s that when both connected will not register the card on the 8x slot regardless of which card is in which slot. The problem is persistent on two different Z87X-UD3H motherboards. Does anyone have any ideas that may help before I toss myself over a bridge?

Re: Z87X-UD3H 2nd Video card not registering.

tried latest beta bios?

GA-Z87X-UD3H - F9a https://www.mediafire.com/?44s7cfauasekqrc
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I did not do the latest beta, although 3 seperate cards not working on 2 identical boards in the 8x slot, across 3 different versions of BIOS. So frustrating. I'll give the beta a try when I get off work tonight.

Comment

does seem strange

what psu are you using?

could try manually setting pcie or peg as initial display rather than auto in the bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
          does seem strange

what psu are you using?

could try manually setting pcie or peg as initial display rather than auto in the bios
          Corsair AX850 Pro Gold

Its currently set to default to PCIE 1, but I've changed it to PCIE2 with no change. Not sure what PEG is though.

Also, in researching it seems that sometimes people with this issue are able to change their PCIE boot priority to legacy from UEFI and that solved their issues. Didn't work for me though.

Comment

wazza may have some background on this, but F7 states you must also update the USB drivers, in advance. That would I assume apply when upping to F8 also?

wazza? Related, or am I again blowing smoke where no smoke belongs?
            #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

im not sure on the usb drivers,but id do that anyway just to rule anything out
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Originally posted by konsolidated View Post
                I did not do the latest beta, although 3 seperate cards not working on 2 identical boards in the 8x slot, across 3 different versions of BIOS. So frustrating. I'll give the beta a try when I get off work tonight.
                Beta BIOS didn't work either. Shoot me.

Comment

are there any bios switches on those cards? I know there is on amd cards one of which is a uefi bios
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

are there any bios switches on those cards? I know there is on amd cards one of which is a uefi bios
                    The board has UEFI bios but the two switches are for Single Bios / Dual Bios and Main Bios / Backup Bios

Comment

any on the graphic cards? bios switches? there is on amd cards but not sure about nvidia
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

any on the graphic cards? bios switches? there is on amd cards but not sure about nvidia
                        Oh, I'm sorry. Read your question too early this morning and didnt realize you were talking about the GPUs. I don't believe there are any switches on it, I can double check tonight but I'm pretty sure there is not.

Comment

any luck on this?

its either a motherboard bios compatibility issue or gpu bios compatibility issue I reckon,it might be worth emailing gigabyte directly or pm'ing yann the gigabyte rep on here and linking them to this thread,idk whatelse you could try
                          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                          Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

any luck on this?

its either a motherboard bios compatibility issue or gpu bios compatibility issue I reckon,it might be worth emailing gigabyte directly or pm'ing yann the gigabyte rep on here and linking them to this thread,idk whatelse you could try
                            No luck yet, but I was scouring forums last night and I found a very interesting post that is nearly identical to my issue. So this guy:
                            • Had no cards working / detected in the second slot, but they all worked in the first slot.
                            • He suspected PSU / Seating issues just like me
                            • He swapped his mobo for an exact copy / updated bios with no change
                            • Literally could come up with no explanation

The funny thing is it sounded like his system was running fine and then he bought a new case (Fractal Define R2 XL) and then the issue started happening. Well guess what case I have? Exact same. I'm curious if there is something particular to the case that is shorting the board or something.

It seems like people never follow up their forum posts when they have an issue because I don't know what ended up happening with this guy.

His post is here:

Comment

Originally posted by konsolidated View Post
                              The funny thing is it sounded like his system was running fine and then he bought a new case (Fractal Define R2 XL) and then the issue started happening. Well guess what case I have? Exact same. I'm curious if there is something particular to the case that is shorting the board or something.
                              scratching head .........

The only thing I could possibly relate to a Fractal, any Fractal I've built with, is that they use those black anodized MB screws. Possibly not properly grounding or intermittent due to the anodizing at one or more of the case/MB provided mounting/grounding standoffs/holes provided.

Everything else Fractal provides is bog standard mounting hardware. still scratching head ..........

Should be easy enough(used loosely for your PITA effort needed) to check. Pull the black anodized screws, assuming you used the Fractal provided, and replace with bog std shiny chrome plated ones. Again, I know. PITA
                              Last edited by - wardog -; 03-14-2014, 01:20 PM.
                              #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                              ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Working...
                              X