Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase LED

Hello,

I have been searching for hours trying to find what the Phase LED lights are used for. I have seen answers from its a fault code system to measuring power consumption. I have also seen several posts where someone has asked what does it mean when (X) number of lights are green or red and someone replies with a list of things to check without actually answering what they are used for.

Can someone please tell me:
    1. What are they
    2. What do they do
    3. How do you interpret color combinations.
    4. Should I be concerned with a red LED.

I'm sorry if this has already been posted. I couldn't find this with the search bar.

Thank you

Re: Phase LED

I'm left contemplating what you're referring to.

But I'm betting it's covered in the manual.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      I'm left contemplating what you're referring to.

But I'm betting it's covered in the manual.
      Hello wardog,

Thanks for posting. I"m having some trouble with my computer losing video. The monitor will turn off due to loss of signal. If you try reboot, it will not give a post code but all fans will run with no video signal. I have a GA-X58-USB3 motherboard that is stock out of the box.

I'm not looking for any tech advice on what might be wrong because I fairly certain it is the PSU. I noticed that when the computer is running and not able to boot, the "PHASE LED" lights on the mother board are lit. 1-4 are green, 5 and 6 are red. The only mention of them is in the diagram on page 7 of the manual. I'm unable to locate any further information as to what purpose they serve.

When looking online, I have found many different explanations of what they are used for and how to read them. There is no "common" thread. I'm looking for definitive information on what information they are providing.

I hopes this helps to clarify what I'm looking for.

Thank you again.

Comment

Again, without knowing what MB you have and so assuming all Phase LED's respond the same regardless of MB, see the below thread.

#1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
          Again, without knowing what MB you have and so assuming all Phase LED's respond the same regardless of MB, see the below thread.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...no-bootup.html
          Hello,
          As mentioned before I have a Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 but it should not matter as I'm not looking for advice in regards to what needs to be fixed. I have spent all day reading through forums trying to see if anyone can answer my question. What are they (Phase LED's)and what do they tell you.

As an example I have copied two of the replies from the post listed above. Maybe it will help to clarify what I'm asking.

"Phase led is like the audio eqilizer leds, it doesn't represent diagnostic output. The more leds lit, the more more Cpu phases are active. These usually stay lit until Windows logo appears."

If the above is true, what is a CPU phase? On my motherboard 4 out of 6 lights are green. Does that mean I have 4 cores drawing power from the motherboard?

next example,

"phase leds show the northbridge activity/voltage and ram voltage/activity"

If this is true, what do the different color lights mean? i.e. Is a red light bad and if so why?

I have also seen posted that different color combinations refer to a code that you need to look up on Gigabytes website to determine what is wrong with your mother board.

Again, I'm simply looking for the definition of phase LED. What is it telling you and how do you use it. I have read hundreds of posts with people asking what do the different colored lights mean. There will be a multitude of answers with things to check but there is no consistent answer as to what they represent and how to interpret them.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

The Phase LEDs are not described in your board's manual that I can see.

Given the usual use of the term "phase" with PC mother boards, and a similar set of LEDs on a different Gigabyte board I once used, I can explain it. They are definitely not for diagnostics at all, and won't help you determine what problem you have.

In general, a "phase" refers to one voltage regulator chip, and associated components, used to provide power to the CPU. They could power other components, like memory, the chipsets, but no information on that is given.

The six phase LEDs on your board imply that it uses a six voltage regulator chip design. Since the specs don't have any information about this, the board might have a 12 voltage regulator chip design for CPU power, and combines two chips into one for the purpose of illuminating the LEDs.

Since power usage, power control, and power saving seem to be features of this board (and for marketing), we can assume that green is "good", as green is used as an environmentally friendly term today. The power phases are not all active unless necessary, and ones that are in use appear as red, ones that aren't are green. It could be reversed as the choice is arbitrary, but I think green means a phase is not in use.

The phases are not directly related to CPU core usage, simply the amount of power required by the CPU. You could have all four cores at 1% usage, which won't need much power, and only have two phases "red" or in use. Disabling CPU power saving options in the BIOS could cause more of those LEDs to be red.

You could run a CPU benchmark test and watch the phase LEDs, and I bet more or all of them would glow red when the CPU is under a high load.

Ok, just found what you are looking for, buried among the Gigabyte features after clicking around for a while. The features are shared by other boards, so they don't have them on every page, plus they don't include every board that uses them. Actually your board is not listed on every page, but in general this is what it is about:

-- GIGABYTE -- 6 Gear

The entry pages to all the various features, you will find a more specific features for your board (they actually are different pages):

-- GIGABYTE -- Ultra Durable 3 Motherboards

Comment

GIGABYTE - Technology Guide - Ultra Power Efficient

Really? Three posts just to get the MB model?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                The Phase LEDs are not described in your board's manual that I can see.

Given the usual use of the term "phase" with PC mother boards, and a similar set of LEDs on a different Gigabyte board I once used, I can explain it. They are definitely not for diagnostics at all, and won't help you determine what problem you have.

In general, a "phase" refers to one voltage regulator chip, and associated components, used to provide power to the CPU. They could power other components, like memory, the chipsets, but no information on that is given.

The six phase LEDs on your board imply that it uses a six voltage regulator chip design. Since the specs don't have any information about this, the board might have a 12 voltage regulator chip design for CPU power, and combines two chips into one for the purpose of illuminating the LEDs.

Since power usage, power control, and power saving seem to be features of this board (and for marketing), we can assume that green is "good", as green is used as an environmentally friendly term today. The power phases are not all active unless necessary, and ones that are in use appear as red, ones that aren't are green. It could be reversed as the choice is arbitrary, but I think green means a phase is not in use.

The phases are not directly related to CPU core usage, simply the amount of power required by the CPU. You could have all four cores at 1% usage, which won't need much power, and only have two phases "red" or in use. Disabling CPU power saving options in the BIOS could cause more of those LEDs to be red.

You could run a CPU benchmark test and watch the phase LEDs, and I bet more or all of them would glow red when the CPU is under a high load.

Ok, just found what you are looking for, buried among the Gigabyte features after clicking around for a while. The features are shared by other boards, so they don't have them on every page, plus they don't include every board that uses them. Actually your board is not listed on every page, but in general this is what it is about:

-- GIGABYTE -- 6 Gear

The entry pages to all the various features, you will find a more specific features for your board (they actually are different pages):

Thank you for the information. That is what I was looking for. I appreciate your help

Comment

Working...
                X