Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GTX 660 GPU - Computer wont boot

So I have purchased a new gpu for my HP pavilion,
    but after installing it my computer would not boot. After a lot of troubleshooting I have found that my computer only boots when the monitor is plugged in. The GPU is a gigabyte gtx 660 OC.
    I have replaced the PSU in my computer for a corsair 600W one, and have correctly seated the gpu and plugged in the neccresary power connectors. The computer works fine with my old gpu, or no gpu, and I have already replaced the gpu so it is not faulty.

So here is exactly what happens. If I turn on my computer with the monitor plugged into the 660, the computer will freeze at the HP startup screen where it says "press esc for startup menu". Pressing esc or any key does nothing. Eventually it will switch over to a black screen with a flashing underscore in the top left. It stays there and doesn't change.

If I turn on the computer with the monitor unplugged it does something different. When I turn it on the power button on the pc flashes orange and beeps 6 times, and the computer then begins to start up. After about 2-3 minutes I hear the fans slow down so I know the computer has started, I plug in the monitor and everything runs perfect. If I plug in the monitor half way through it is just a blank screen.

I have looked everywhere and asked on some forums, decided maybe you guys would have something new to suggest.
    Really unsure what to do about this anymore, I'm sure there is a way to make this work because I can get the computer booted up to run normally, just takes a bit of setup.
    Thanks.

Re: New GTX 660 GPU - Computer wont boot

Did your HP pavilion suport PCI-E 3.0 ??

Your motherboard has Intel H61 chipset:

Your :Expansion Slots
    • One PCI Express x16 (Gen2.0)
    • Three PCI Express x1 (Gen2.0)
    • One PCI Express Mini Card x1

As per Gigabyte H61 boards:

x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16
    (The PCI Express x16 slot conforms to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)
    * Whether PCI Express 3.0 is supported depends on CPU and graphics card compatibility.
    Last edited by stasio; 01-23-2014, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stasio View Post
      Did your HP pavilion suport PCI-E 3.0 ??

Your motherboard has Intel H61 chipset:

Your :Expansion Slots
      • One PCI Express x16 (Gen2.0)
      • Three PCI Express x1 (Gen2.0)
      • One PCI Express Mini Card x1

As per Gigabyte H61 boards:
      As I understand it a pci 3.0 card is backward compatable with a 2.0 board

Comment

Originally posted by Blabagas View Post
        As I understand it a pci 3.0 card is backward compatable with a 2.0 board
        Interesting....your HP is OEM system (block some components and setting in BIOS):
        Help! Gigabyte GTX660 OC - PC won't boot [Solved] - Graphics - Graphics & Displays

Btw,
        I suggest you to google.....

Comment

I believe Stasio is on the money. OEMs don't like you changing the hardware specs of their pcs. So the way to go would be a new mobo. Did you try a different PCIe port? Just a thought but I would also put my money on the mobo.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluismycat View Post
            I believe Stasio is on the money. OEMs don't like you changing the hardware specs of their pcs. So the way to go would be a new mobo. Did you try a different PCIe port? Just a thought but I would also put my money on the mobo.
            +1.......this is his mobo (only 1 X PCI Express x16):

Last edited by stasio; 01-23-2014, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Interesting....your HP is OEM system (block some components and setting in BIOS):
              Help! Gigabyte GTX660 OC - PC won't boot [Solved] - Graphics - Graphics & Displays

Btw,
              I suggest you to google.....
              Not sure if you were trying to be rude with that comment or not. I have already spent several days researching on google, before I came to the forums.

Originally posted by Bluismycat View Post
              I respect that a new motherboard may be the only solution, however that is a last resort for me and I am not willing to try it untill I have tried everything else. I feel that there must be a way around this because I am still able to get the pc booted. The only problem with buying a new mobo is that I would have to buy a new OS (correct me on this) and it would take me several months to redownload my games because I am capped to 80GB of bandwidth per month.

Comment

Not sure if you were trying to be rude with that comment or not. I have already spent several days researching on google, before I came to the forums.
                Not,at all.

I respect that a new motherboard may be the only solution, however that is a last resort for me and I am not willing to try it untill I have tried everything else. I feel that there must be a way around this because I am still able to get the pc booted. The only problem with buying a new mobo is that I would have to buy a new OS (correct me on this) and it would take me several months to redownload my games because I am capped to 80GB of bandwidth per month.
                OS is on hard/ssd drive...not on motherboard,as your games as well.

Any motherboard P67/Z68 or Z77 (H,B,Q....with Form factor: uATX -24.4 cm x 22.0 cm) is OK,for your Sandy Brigde CPU (Socket 1155):

Edit:
                Of course.....any brand.
                Last edited by stasio; 01-23-2014, 07:22 PM.

Comment

No you won't need a new OS for a new motherboard. The OS is on the hard drive on your system, not the mobo. I don't think he was trying to be rude when he said "google it". The link he posted above that text, is for same problem as yours but is solved. Correct me if I am wrong Stasio...I think he meant google your OEM setup and changing the HW.

On the PCIe comment I made...my bad, I didn't realize there is only 1 PCIe port with all the rest being singles.

Comment

Not,at all.

OS is on hard/ssd drive...not on motherboard,as your games as well.

Any motherboard P67/Z68 or Z77 (H,B,Q....with Form factor: uATX -24.4 cm x 22.0 cm) is OK,for your Sandy Brigde CPU (Socket 1155):

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155

Edit:
                    Of course.....any brand.
                    Stasio. I read your replies after I leave mine and I just seem to be repeating what you say. I will leave it to you as you obviously know what you re talking about and I reckon your on the right track. Sorry mate, wasn't trying to steal your thunder...

Comment

No problem,lol......

Comment

I have researched this and everyone seems to be saying that I need to reinstall windows, that is what I always understood.Do i need to reinstall Windows 7 after changing motherboard? - Windows 7 - Windows 7
                        This was after a very quick search so I am probably mistaken, please correct me on this one.

Comment

Probably not,maybe only activated again.

Of course, in BIOS you must choose boot order.

Comment

So I have installed the motherboard and windows started up normally with no gpu in. However when I put in my gpu it gives me a black screen - no signal. The pc boots with my friends GT 630 and his computer starts with my gpu in it. What is the problem? Also the fans in my pc go at full speed as the computer starts, and dont slowdown untill I open the ASrock ATXU program and adjust the speed. Even then the fans are still quite loud(running at over 2000rpm just browsing internet). Not sure if this issue is related or not.

Comment

You might need a beta motherboard bios for your video card to work with your system.
                              This type of problem seems to be more common with ASRock motherboards.

If you replace your motherboard, your HP based system might (probably?) not work unless you buy and install a full or OEM version of windows. I'm pretty sure that this also applies with other Dell or Lenovo "factory" systems.
                              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
                              X