Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-B75M-D3H restarts (no BSOD) in IDLE with new GPU (GTX 770)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-B75M-D3H restarts (no BSOD) in IDLE with new GPU (GTX 770)

I got a EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB (Part number: 02G-P4-2773-KR) to replace a GTX 570, and I'm facing what I call a weird issue after having installed it:

The computer restarts with no BSOD if the GPU remains idle for some time.

GPU clock is 135 MHZ, and voltage is 861 V. After some testing, the workaround I found to be working is to change "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance" (instead "Adaptive") in NVidia Control Panel.

The second step is letting some application that uses the GPU (Blender, in my case) running in background.
    That way, GPU clock gets stuck at 1045 MHZ, and voltage remains 1100 V, and PC works "normally" without restarting.

Under high load, I have no problems whatsoever.

I'm using default voltage and clock for everything (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc...)

Here's my setup:

Mainboard: GA-B75M-D3H (Gigabyte)
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (x64)
    CPU: Intel Core I7-2600 (@3.40 GHZ, no overclock)
    RAM: G.SKill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1333MHz (Part number: F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL)
    PSU: C3 Tech PSH-750V (Brazilian company, specs below)

Google Tradutor

I'm using the 331.93 driver (Beta).
    The current non-beta driver gives me the same issue.

I'm using the F15 BIOS (latest one as of now)

I've tested with Windows 8, and it performs the same way.

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) doesn't seem to restart.

After having experienced hundreds of random restarts, bricked an OCZ Vector SSD, got bad clusters in a HDD, and spent days debugging that situation, I've found another fix:

Uninstall the processors in "Device Manager".

It took me days testing different things.

What I knew for sure was Windows 7 doesn't have this problem:

it works flawlessly and simply doesn't restart.

That made me believe it wasn't a PSU problem.

Back in Windows 8.1, I then disabled everything I could in Device Manager, and realized it wasn't restarting anymore.

After testing different combinations of devices, I've come to the conclusion my computer (with Windows 8.1 x64) only works normally with the GTX 770 when the processors are disabled in Device Manager.

An user in GEForce forums told me it has to do with CPU Power Saving features (EIST, C1E, etc):

Those features are in fact enabled in BIOS.

No advanced setting was changed in BIOS, like voltages, memory timings, etc.

My brother has the exact same problem, but with Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (latest BIOS) and GTX 660.

A small note for his case is GTX 660 requires LESS power than GTX 570 (previous GPU), and GTX 570 doesn't cause any problems.

Is there anything we can do to fix it while still having CPU Power Saving features enabled?

I can provide any information you guys need about our BIOS settings in order to detect what is the root of our problems.

Best regards

Re: GA-B75M-D3H restarts (no BSOD) in IDLE with new GPU (GTX 770)

No BSOD's is usually pointing to a power related issue.

And I have to agree with the poster in the link you provide, your PSU's distribution of power across the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v1 and 12v2 are more inline with older systems requirements.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I just find it weird that GTX 570 is more power hungry than GTX 660, and with GTX 570, there's no problem at all.

My brother has the same PSU than me, and his 570 works perfectly.But his GTX 660 doesn't...

That is what makes me think it's not related to PSU...though I understand what you've just told me... :(

Comment

Try this, open your Windows Power Plan, and click on Change advanced power settings. Find the entry for PCI Express. Set Link State Power Management to off.

Also, go into your BIOS and probably in the Chipset or North Bridge configuration screen, check if the PCI-E slots have speed setting, like PCI-E 2.0, PCI-E 3.0, or Auto. If it is set to Auto, change it to PCI-E 2.0, or whatever your board/CPU supports.

If CPU power saving options like SpeedStep, etc, were causing that problem, why doesn't that happen in Windows 7? I'm not asking you, just making a point. I don't think the CPU power saving options are the problem. Did you try disabling them and check if the problem still happens?

You said the 570 uses more power than the 660, but the 570 does not have the problem. You also said the restart happens only when the GPU is idle. When the GPU is idle, it is using very little power, so how is the power requirements of the cards related to the problem? Just a comment.

Your PSU has a weird spec, 18A on the -12V rail... 'Que? What? A Seasonic Platinum 1000W PSU has a spec of 0.5A on the -12V rail. That is 1/2 Amp on the -12V rail. Which is fine since -12V is barely used if at all.

Other ideas, the new NVIDIA drivers have been terrible given what I have seen and what others are posting in forums. I had an EVGA 660 that I tried installing the latest (at the time) non-Beta driver, would blue screen during the installation. It did that on two different PCs, different boards, CPUs, etc. I returned the 660, and I'm using the 320 driver on a 760 because I don't trust the newer drivers. I would never trust their beta driver, OMG no... That is on Windows 8.

Comment

Only for update this issue

Windows 7 mades PC restart/shutdown in both our systems

My brother (OP) system restarted yesterday

As told, GTX660 needs lot less power than 570 (wattage/12v):

GTX660:
          Minimum 400W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 24A)
          GTX570
          Minimum 550W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 38A)

And 570 runs fine until today (more than one year of use)

The stranger is:
          Restart/Shutdown occours when system is using minimal power (proccessor+GPU)

If you search web for this issue, you saw the opposite:
          people talking about instability/shutdown/restart, when in full load/high temperatures

Comment

Working...
          X