EX-58-UD5 - POST success but restart loop on splash - 6F error code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX-58-UD5 - POST success but restart loop on splash - 6F error code

My ex-58-ud5 refuses to work past the gigabyte logo screen. I am unable to use any of F keys for the options. The last code on the board reads: 6F (I dont understand this, as its for loading the floppy drive)

The computer beeps with a successful POST...but restarts on splash screen. It will continue to do this infinitely...Nothing I do seems to rectify this...I have tried DEL, END, F2 ,F12 but it continues to restart...

The only thing that makes a change is holding ALT + F12, which is pointless as this has not worked when its copied mainbios to recovery bios.

All this trouble has occurred after trying to crossfire with 2 x 5870s without success. I have a modular OCZ modxtream 600w, that only had 2 x pci-e. Me and my friend purchased a generic 6pin to 6pin-pci-e cable from ebay. We foolishly connected this to the black port of the PSU (3v + 5v) and connected it to one the 5870's, the other 5870 had 1 x pci-e from psu and the other pci-e was powered via molex. When we powered on the system would not start, although the fans slightly moved, indicating the systems short protection kicked in.

I have stripped it to its basics with the following:

1 RAM stick in white slot (have tried in all white slots), system is outside the case, simple video card in pci-e.

I have a sense that the short on the pci-e card (or undervolt, 3V and 5V) has corrupted the bios....But how can I flash the bios without it restarting non stop?

This is killing me...The board is no longer under warranty and we are worried that we may have also fried both 5870s, in addition to the motherboard.

Please can you help us ?

Re: EX-58-UD5 - POST success but restart loop on splash - 6F error code

Originally posted by updatebiosgonewrong View Post
    My ex-58-ud5 refuses to work past the gigabyte logo screen. I am unable to use any of F keys for the options. The last code on the board reads: 6F (I dont understand this, as its for loading the floppy drive)

The computer beeps with a successful POST...but restarts on splash screen. It will continue to do this infinitely...Nothing I do seems to rectify this...I have tried DEL, END, F2 ,F12 but it continues to restart...

The only thing that makes a change is holding ALT + F12, which is pointless as this has not worked when its copied mainbios to recovery bios.

All this trouble has occurred after trying to crossfire with 2 x 5870s without success. I have a modular OCZ modxtream 600w, that only had 2 x pci-e. Me and my friend purchased a generic 6pin to 6pin-pci-e cable from ebay. We foolishly connected this to the black port of the PSU (3v + 5v) and connected it to one the 5870's, the other 5870 had 1 x pci-e from psu and the other pci-e was powered via molex. When we powered on the system would not start, although the fans slightly moved, indicating the systems short protection kicked in.

I have stripped it to its basics with the following:

1 RAM stick in white slot (have tried in all white slots), system is outside the case, simple video card in pci-e.

I have a sense that the short on the pci-e card (or undervolt, 3V and 5V) has corrupted the bios....But how can I flash the bios without it restarting non stop?

This is killing me...The board is no longer under warranty and we are worried that we may have also fried both 5870s, in addition to the motherboard.

Please can you help us ?
    U must still swap out PSU and test with another PSU. the OCZ PSU u have, most likely lacks the protective circuitry required to protect itself properly. Usually that just results in a PSU that won't start at all. But this case is unique i guess. So to avoid rambling i'll just say, swap out the PSU with a tried and true working one. (i still use X58 and LUV it.) For practice sake, reverse-testing that PSU by Placing it in another PC is most likely NOT recommended in this situation at hand.

With another PSU to test with, it is possible that u need to fully discharge electricity from the MOBO, while at the same time accomplishing what's in the Title of wat follows below.

So do the following:

GL

SOURCE
    BIOS Recover Method Via Manually Invoking BACKUP BIOS Auto-Recovery
    Using Power Supply - On/Off Switch

It is possible to make the BIOS Auto-Recovery kick in (Dual BIOS) and re-flash the MAIN BIOS with the contents of the BACKUP BIOS.

This is a simple and easy method for anyone to try before having to resort to other more difficult methods, or a RMA.

1. Shut off the power supply using the switch on the back of the PSU, wait 10-15 seconds.
    2. Press and hold the case Power On swtich, then while still holding turn on the power supply from the switch on the rear.
    3. Still holding the case power on switch, the board will start, once it does release the case power on switch and shut off the power supply via the switch on the read of the unit. (Do the latter two parts as quickly as you can once the board starts)
    4. The board will shut down.
    5. Turn the power supply back on using the switch on the rear of the unit.
    6. Turn on the motherboard by pressing the case power on button.

Once the board starts this time you should see the Gigabyte splash screen, or POST page, then the Auto-Recovery from Dual BIOS will kick in. You will see a checksum error, and then recovery from BACKUP BIOS will begin. Once it is done reboot your machine and enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults then save/apply/reboot back to BIOS.

Now you are done, and will be using whatever BIOS was in your BACKUP BIOS, From there you can attempt whatever you were previously trying, or update your BIOS to the latest version.

But if that doesn't solve it report back wat happened. others on this forum may have more options and the more info u report the better they can help u.

GL
    <<< LGA2011-v3 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply: CORSAIR AX Series AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular (NE Link)
    > Chipset : Intel X99
    > Mainboard :Gigabyte GA-X99-Ultra Gaming
    (NE Link)
    > Processor : i7-6850K (NE Link)
    > AIO: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 (NE Link)
    > Physical Memory : G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW (NE Link)
    > Video Card : 2x ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING (NE Link)

<<< LGA1366 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply:
    >>>Original PSU (2011-01) :
    Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade PSU (2012-01) : CORSAIR AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W (NE Link)
    > Chipset : Intel X58
    > Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (REV.2.0) (FB BIOS)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > Processor : i7-950 (Revision D0) 3.0GHz @3.84GHz
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > HSF:
    Noctua NH-D14 (NE Link MPP Link)
    > Physical Memory :
    >>>Original RAM (2011-01) : G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
    >>>Upgrade RAM (2012-01) : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) w/FrostByte Heatsink Model 998990 (NE Link MPP Link OverClockersClub Dot Com Article)
    > Video Card :
    >>>Original Vid Card (2011-01) : BFG Geforce GTX295 (
    NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2012-01) : (2) EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GTX 560 Ti (2GB)-SLI (
    NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2013-07) : (2) GTX 760-SLI Gigabyte GV-N760OC-4GB (NE Link)
    > DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B ATA Device
    > Monitor :
    ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26" (
    NE Link)
    > Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate
    > Case : COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel (
    NE Link)

<<< LGA775 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply: Corsair 620HX (
    NE Link)
    > Mainboard : Gigabyte P35-S3G (F2 BIOS)
    > Chipset : Intel P35
    > Processor : Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale (Revision C0) 3.0GHz @ 3950 MHz
    > HSF: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    > Physical Memory : CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) (
    Link)
    > Video Card : BFG Geforce GTX295
    >
    Monitor : ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26"

Comment

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. I have done the suggested bios recovery, but this has not helped. It does not even show "checksum bios error" or anything like that. Its very strange that the bios appears to be completely frozen into 6F reboots. I have done the following:

Cleared the cmos, removed battery, short pins and left overnight. (Still no bios checksum error)

Tried different Quad core CPU) (No joy)

Tried different RAM (in differing white sockets) no joy

2 different power supplies (no joy)

2 different graphics cards all in differing pci-e sockets (no joy)

Tried removing all usb devices (no joy)

Tried 2 different CPU heatsinks (no joy)

I havnt yet tried a ps2 mouse, i will need to find one first.....

The only thing that showed promise was doing ALT + F12.....But this simply overwrites the backup....Which probably was a bad idea...???

Comment

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. I have done the suggested bios recovery, but this has not helped. It does not even show "checksum bios error" or anything like that. Its very strange that the bios appears to be completely frozen into 6F reboots. I have done the following:

Cleared the cmos, removed battery, short pins and left overnight. (Still no bios checksum error)

Tried different Quad core CPU) (No joy)

Tried different RAM (in differing white sockets) no joy

2 different power supplies (no joy)

2 different graphics cards all in differing pci-e sockets (no joy)

Tried removing all usb devices (no joy)

Tried 2 different CPU heatsinks (no joy)

I havnt yet tried a ps2 mouse, i will need to find one first.....

The only thing that showed promise was doing ALT + F12.....But this simply overwrites the backup....Which probably was a bad idea...???
        sry to hear no improvement. i luv my ex-58-ud3 (edit: GA-X58A-UD3R). but all this additional info u added should help ppl that read this thread. others should come along shortly.

did u have an old pci vid card?

and before i forget, did u test those 5870 cards on another PC and see if they survived?
        > Power Supply: CORSAIR AX Series AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular (NE Link)
        (NE Link)
        > Physical Memory : G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW (NE Link)

> Power Supply:
        Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
        (NE Link MPP Link)
        (NE Link MPP Link)
        > HSF:
        > Physical Memory :
        >>>Original RAM (2011-01) : G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
        >>>Upgrade RAM (2012-01) : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) w/FrostByte Heatsink Model 998990 (NE Link MPP Link OverClockersClub Dot Com Article)
        > Video Card :
        NE Link)
        NE Link)
        > Monitor :
        NE Link)
        NE Link)

NE Link)
        Link)
        >

Comment

you can access the bios ok?

disabled floppy drive in the bios and drive A? common issue on x58 it will freeze sometimes if its enabled even if you don't have a floppy drive attached
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have tried both 5870's on an asus P5KC Socket 775, they both result in "no signal"...Although it doesn't seem like its crashed (Numlock and CAPSLOCK works)..

There are so many variables to tell if I damaged the 5870s....Is the P5KC too old for these cards ? I have run crossfire with this board before with 2 x 5830 and an OCZ 600watt PSU.

Another thing we have tried:

ALT + F12, whilst its updating main bios, switched off to corrupt main bios, still no joy.

This board is exhibiting behaviors like my ***** not doing what I want it to, like smash her backdoor in.

Comment

did you disable floppy drive in bios? sounds daft but worth a try

what cables are you using for the monitor,dvi/hdmi/vga ect might be worth trying other ports to see if you get a display
              Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
              Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

I have tried both 5870's on an asus P5KC Socket 775, they both result in "no signal"...Although it doesn't seem like its crashed (Numlock and CAPSLOCK works)..

There are so many variables to tell if I damaged the 5870s....Is the P5KC too old for these cards ? I have run crossfire with this board before with 2 x 5830 and an OCZ 600watt PSU.

Another thing we have tried:

ALT + F12, whilst its updating main bios, switched off to corrupt main bios, still no joy.

This board is exhibiting behaviors like my ***** not doing what I want it to, like smash her backdoor in.
                are u using a USB or PS2 keyboard?
                (NE Link)

> Power Supply:
                Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
                (NE Link MPP Link)
                (NE Link MPP Link)
                > HSF:
                > Physical Memory :
                > Video Card :
                NE Link)
                NE Link)
                > Monitor :
                NE Link)
                NE Link)

NE Link)
                Link)
                >

Comment

As I said earlier, I am using a USB, i havnt found a ps2 as of yet...........I am very upset over this board, it has no warranty..

Do you guys think that doing the pin short technique may be able to invoke bios recovery ?

Comment

As I said earlier, I am using a USB, i havnt found a ps2 as of yet...........I am very upset over this board, it has no warranty..

Do you guys think that doing the pin short technique may be able to invoke bios recovery ?
                    the best advise for now is to do wat wazza300 says. answer his question(s). he's a true MOBO guru. and sry ur so upset. don't give up yet. GL
                    (NE Link)

> Power Supply:
                    Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
                    (NE Link MPP Link)
                    (NE Link MPP Link)
                    > HSF:
                    > Physical Memory :
                    > Video Card :
                    NE Link)
                    NE Link)
                    > Monitor :
                    NE Link)
                    NE Link)

NE Link)
                    Link)
                    >

Comment

be carefull as if you short the wrong pins it will destroy the bios chip and will need repair,im not sure which ones you short,the only one who knew was lsdmeasap and he aint been on for over a year
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                        be carefull as if you short the wrong pins it will destroy the bios chip and will need repair,im not sure which ones you short,the only one who knew was lsdmeasap and he aint been on for over a year
                        OK. I fully appreciate everyone's reply. With regards to the 2 bios chips. The procedure looks fairly simply to do, however as noted before, I have already pressed ALT + F12. This would have flashed the MAIN bios to the BACKUP. So depending upon whether the board truly did reflash the bios it may be pointless.

Whats strange is that I tried to corrupt the MAIN bios when I did ALT + F12, then pulled the plugged whilst it was (presumably) flashing main bios.
                        Which again, no joy.

I get the sense again that BOTH bios flash chips have been damaged ?? Hence why the board is giving:

1. No cmos checksum error (after extensive cmos clearing)
                        2. ALT + F12 and pulling the plug whilst its flashing the MAIN BIOS.
                        3. Reboots at 6F every single time, no matter what combination of RAM, CPU and PCI-E cards (using an old radeon and old NVIDIA cards, did not obviously not using the 5870's)
                        4. RESTARTS hard on pressing DEL, F12 and END, (But not ALT + F12), which is cruel and infuriating, worst than when my ex-girl denying me smashing her back door in with vengeance.

Any help please guys...I want to go ahead with the pin shots as shown here:

Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L (with dual bios) Black screen after bios update - Chipsets - Motherboards

But it maybe pointless but anything is worth a try at this stage, if this was my backdoor stinking ex, she'd be thrown down a mine shaft long time ago, if she did what this board is doing to me. I will happily give anyone her telephone number for a working solution.. Jokes aside, sorry I am rambling and really stressed. (Although will still give telephone number )

Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X