Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will GIGABYTE release an updated BIOS to fix AMD R9 280X GV-R928XOC-3GD fan issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will GIGABYTE release an updated BIOS to fix AMD R9 280X GV-R928XOC-3GD fan issues?

Hi.

This is the card in question:
    GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - ATI - PCI Express Solution - AMD Radeon

The fan issues have already been noted in several hardware sites:
    1. W1zzard of techPowerUp! (here, he's actually waiting on GIGABYTE to provide him with such a BIOS)
    2. Hilbert Hedgegroom of Guru3rd (here).
    3. HardOCP will probably be releasing their review of this card sometime next week as well.

I'd love to buy two of these cards for my new gaming rig (listed in the sig), that's currently missing only its GPUs, but would want to resort to software-based solutions (i.e: MSI Afterburner or what have you) to mess with the fan curve parameters..

Regards,
    //Subscribed to thread.
    Last edited by AlderaaN; 10-16-2013, 09:44 PM.

Re: Will GIGABYTE release an updated BIOS to fix AMD R9 280X GV-R928XOC-3GD fan issues?

if there's an issue most likely it will get resolved in future bios updates,when that will be idk
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: Will GIGABYTE release an updated BIOS to fix AMD R9 280X GV-R928XOC-3GD fan issues?

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
      if there's an issue most likely it will get resolved in future bios updates,when that will be idk
      Hello and thank you for the reply.

Noise issue is something that's very subjective, and though GIGABYTE's WINDFORCE 3X cooling solution has pretty much proven itself to be very quiet in the past,
      that doesn't seem to be the case with the latest iteration of their R9 280X OC graphics card.

The following reply which W1zzard of techPowerUp! received from GIGABYTE during his review of the card (the review hasn't been published yet) is also not reassuring.

Currently it seems that GIGABYTE's primary goal with the R9 280X OC and its cooling solution is to focus on lowering the card's temperatures by a few negligible degrees - for a much bigger and more noticeable fan noise footprint.

I just hope this changes soon, since these are basically the cards I want to get from my new gaming rig in the sig.

Regards,
      Last edited by AlderaaN; 10-17-2013, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Well, gigabyte released new biosversion on 10-15, but it wont update. I have yet to see anyone that managed to succesfully update this card BIOS.

The OC Guru 2 bios tool is also not working, giving update error.
        What is wrong, Gigabyte?
        As more people are buying this card, this problem will grow!

Comment

Thank you for replying here!

@Roodbaard: Have you checked if your card's Dual BIOS switch is in the "1" position?
          I've read somewhere that it won't update if it's toggled at the "2" position.

I wonder if this is one of the 3 BIOS files which W1zzard of techPowerUp! mentioned he went through during his review for this card.

Can an official GIGABYTE tech support person shed some light on the current 'October 15th BIOS not updating' issue which Roodbaard noted here?
          Last edited by AlderaaN; 10-24-2013, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlderaaN View Post
            Thank you for replying here!

@Roodbaard: Have you checked if your card's Dual BIOS switch is in the "1" position?
            I've read somewhere that it won't update if it's toggled at the "2" position.

I wonder if this is one of the 3 BIOS files which W1zzard of techPowerUp! mentioned he went through during his review for this card.

Can an official GIGABYTE tech support person shed some light on the current 'October 15th BIOS not updating' issue which Roodbaard noted here?
            I have solved the issue, using this thread here from the Dutch support forum:

Problems updating BIOS with R9 280x, Gigabyte Windforce OC

BIOS succesfully updated, as expected :)

Comment

Originally posted by Roodbaard View Post
              I have solved the issue, using this thread here from the Dutch support forum:

Problems updating BIOS with R9 280x, Gigabyte Windforce OC

BIOS succesfully updated, as expected :)
              Thank you kindly for the follow up, Roodbaard!

A few questions please:
              1. GIGABYTE's global Website currently doesn't list any BIOS files for download. Could you please share where did you find it?

2. Did you flash the card's BIOS from a bootable flash drive ('Disk on Key') or simply from an Adminstrator-elevated Command Prompt within your Operating System?

3. What kind of command-line switches did you use with the ATIWinFlash file that's located in OCguru's folder?

4. Have you noticed if this BIOS actually helped decrease the card's aggressive fan profile (while gaming) to something more comfortable?

Regards,

Comment

A few questions please:
                1. GIGABYTE's global Website currently doesn't list any BIOS files for download. Could you please share where did you find it?

2. Did you flash the card's BIOS from a bootable flash drive ('Disk on Key') or simply from an Adminstrator-elevated Command Prompt within your Operating System?

3. What kind of command-line switches did you use with the ATIWinFlash file that's located in OCguru's folder?

4. Have you noticed if this BIOS actually helped decrease the card's aggressive fan profile (while gaming) to something more comfortable?

Regards,
                1. I got the latest bios from here: Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp

2. I merely flashed/updated the windows through windows 8.1, using the ATI winflash tool in the OCguru folder, it is located in:
                ''C:\Program Files (x86)\GIGABYTE\GIGABYTE OC_GURU II\AtiTool''

The version of ATI winflash inside the OCguru folder worked for updating the bios, where strangely a seperately downloaded version of ATI winflash didnt work. I did run the tool as an administrator. GPU bios version in GPUZ is correct to the one I downloaded from TechPowerUp.

3. I never used cmd.exe or command line switches with the ATI winflash (as you would normally do). I merely ran that version of ATI winflash from the OCGuru folder and it worked.

4. As the poster in that topic described, the videocard fan is more quiet now under load. Still noisy, with nasty (but regular pattern) fluctuating up and down fannoise (under load), but better.

I still hope for a bios that addresses the noise/fluctuation of fannoise properly.

I know Gigabyte is hesitant to release a bios that makes this card less noisy, since cooling is all and noise is less for the Asian market and all; but I hope nonetheless that Gigabyte will cater to their faithful Western customers also.
                Last edited by Roodbaard; 10-24-2013, 04:27 PM.

Comment

A few questions please:

Regards,
                  the update is live at the site. but I dont know which one I have to download.. actually, my 280X bios shows GV-R928XOC-3GD.F31, which is wierd since it says:

Please note:
                  You can only update to a VBIOS version of the same series.
                  If your VBIOS version is:
                  F1, it can only be updated with VBIOS versions F2-F9.
                  F10, it can only be updated with VBIOS versions F11-F19.
                  F20, it can only be updated with VBIOS versions F21-F29.
                  Last edited by jonsevc; 11-14-2013, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X