Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to overclocking and somebody is telling me fibs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to overclocking and somebody is telling me fibs.

Well trying to figure out how to adjust my voltage down after turning up the multiplier I got this response right from a manufacturer.

"There are only increasing in the voltages, there are no way to reduce voltage.
    That is standard design on all boards."

Is this correct?

Re: New to overclocking and somebody is telling me fibs.

That is not correct! And you are right to question him, this is how we all learned. Now start from the top, Welcome mike.

List your full system spec's first(example) CPU, GPU, PSU, memory, motherboard, HDD/SDD,cooling on CPU, case cooling, room temps, I hope yer not overclocking with a factory cooler. Post that stuff, also what you want to do like IE Over clock the snot out of it so you can smoke everyone in Bf4 or maybe a mild OC like 4200Mhz. CPU class and generation will help greatly....
    MSI X-99SLI
    Intel 5930K WATER
    EVGA Nilla 1080
    POWER!

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

I did this> :) Default RMA discussion banned

Comment

No it's water cooled. I really only want to get it to 4.3 from 3.6 with the turbo off of course. The multiplier gets it hthere no problem but I know it doesn't need that much voltage to run at that speed.

X79-UD3 motherboard f11 bios
      I3820
      GTX670
      Thermaltake case
      850PSU
      16GB memory
      Last edited by mike stokes; 10-04-2013, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike stokes View Post
        Well trying to figure out how to adjust my voltage down after turning up the multiplier I got this response right from a manufacturer.

"There are only increasing in the voltages, there are no way to reduce voltage.
        That is standard design on all boards."

Is this correct?
        some boards will have the options to select values of lower and higher voltages
        some boards will have plus/minus option to increase or decrease the voltage value
        some boards will have the option to increase the value only (usually entry level boards)

Comment

Originally posted by mike stokes View Post
          No it's water cooled. I really only want to get it to 4.3 from 3.6 with the turbo off of course. The multiplier gets it hthere no problem but I know it doesn't need that much voltage to run at that speed.

X79-UD3 motherboard f11 bios
          I3820
          GTX670
          Thermaltake case
          850PSU
          16GB memory

Sorry just woke up, Yeah you should be able to reach 4.3 with default Vcore(most boards will)leave all setting on, You mentioned turning turbo off? Mine has a why to either set a certain Vcore like 1.25 or the plus/minus again at 4.3 I can adjust mine and it goes. Not sure why you want to decrease Vcore? make sure your mem Voltage is set to stock, or atleast wait till you get stable at 4.3 till you adjust. In this screen it shows you can up or lower the V core, make sure mem V is set to what is on the sticks. You may have to use the BLK to change your CPU speed if your CPU is locked(I'm not sure as I never seen one). If it's not locked simply up the multi....V@around 1.365 should be good for you, on my board it will auto adjust the V core so I just set and go.

Mike you need to stick to one thread its very confusing................
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jaggerwild; 10-07-2013, 07:22 AM.
          MSI X-99SLI
          Intel 5930K WATER
          EVGA Nilla 1080
          POWER!

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

I did this> :) Default RMA discussion banned

Comment

Thanks.

I didn't touch the memory voltage as I read it wasn't necessary for this . I used t he multiplier . I have it running now at 4.3ghz. the vcore is set at 1.30 It is still drawing as much as 1.325 but it's stable and the heat hasn 't increased much over what it was at 3.6ghz so all is well.
            Last edited by mike stokes; 10-07-2013, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X