Z87X-UD3H And Random Windows 7 Lock Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87X-UD3H And Random Windows 7 Lock Up

First of all hello to you all. I would very much appreciate any assistance you can give me with a rather annoying issue. But first -
    My system specs as follows:

Core i5 4670K
    GIGABYTE Z87X-UD3H
    ASUS GTX760 DIRECTCU II OC 2GB
    WD Caviar Black 750GB 7501AALS
    WD Caviar Black 1TB 1002FAEX
    CORSAIR XMS3 3x2GB 7-7-7-21/1.65V

And now to the point. The problem I have is that when using the 1TB WD drive my OS would freeze. Randomly. It would freeze when moving files from partition to partition or just browsing the internet. It would freeze when running HDTune and testing it for errors or installing software. It even froze when running chkdsk on a partition. I had a freeze when trying to load up safe mode even. When the OS freezes the USB ports also turn off (my mouse and keyboard LED turn off). There are freezes however where the system would lock up, there is constant HDD activity, mouse and keyboard working and after a while it would reset itself with no BSOD. I did manage to complete an error scan with HDTune and it showed no errors on the 1TB drive. Unfortunately system freezes still occur. A hard reset is required to get the system running again. I have now installed the OS on the other drive (750GB one) and unplugged the 1TB one and for now all is running well (except for one random system restart, but i'll let this one slide for now). What the hell is going on with the other drive however? It appears to be healthy yet lock ups occur only when it's the drive that has the OS installed on. Could it be an issue with the motherboard as well?

Thanks in advance for the assistance provided.

Re: Z87X-UD3H And Random Windows 7 Lock Up

Hi and welcome to forum.
    Are you running in AHCI mode?
    Did you install latest RST driver (and all neccessary drivers)?
    Second can be memory.....3x2GB ?....give me more detail.....7-7-7-21....but what is frequency?
    1TB should be no problem at all (I have same model).......or I am afraid that your HD is gone (as my,after 1 year...and I using only for storage).

Edit:
    Try to run CrystalDiskInfo.
    Last edited by stasio; 07-31-2013, 05:57 PM.

Comment

The memory is 1333 but looking in the BIOS it's running at 1.5V with 9-9-9-24 timings. I'm running in IDE mode and all of the drivers have been installed. I also think it's not the new HDD as I left the system running last night doing tests with WD DataLifeGuard on the old HDD which also has Windows 7 installed on it and I found the system frozen in the morning. This time the mouse and keyboard LEDs had not turned off but when I turned the monitor on (turned it off for the night) it just went into sleep mode again (light turned blue - on and then turned back to orange indicating it's off). Had to hard reset again. Will keep running Windows 7 off the old drive but if these lock-ups continue I really have NO CLUE what it is.

P.S To add to my OP, the PC also froze, at one point both when trying to load up Safe Mode and IN Safe Mode when moving folders around.
      Last edited by McGringo87; 08-01-2013, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Are you have RAM 3x2GB installed or what?
        If yes,is not dual channel.Also check your memory with Memtest86+,for any bad sticks.
        Freezing is 95% memory issue (if your HD is OK).
        Anything else you have plug in (USB2 &3)?

Edit:
        Try increase Memory voltage to 1.55V, the rest live on Auto (1333/9-9-9-24).
        Last edited by stasio; 08-01-2013, 03:03 AM.

Comment

The ram is installed 3x2. I've tried increasing the voltage to 1.55 and beyond but it doesn't help. OS still locks up. I'll run memtest when i get back from work and see what happens. I did also try removing one stick and leaving 2 in dual channel but still the OS locked up.

Comment

Well I ran with just 1 stick for a while and system seemed to freeze far less. Running with two now and it freezes do happen with 2 but again far less (it happens randomly when just browsing the web for example). I ran Memtest 86+ with one stick at a time but it showed no errors. Will try running HCI Memtest too. Running the memory at 1.550v. Strange thing is one lock up happened in the BIOS itself right as I was saving and exiting. Could this be anything other than memory?

Comment

Working...
            X